seeding newly cleared land

Help Support CattleToday:

agmantoo":3tt5f0cm said:
I bought it from a local ag source at $12 per 50 lb bag. If you live in near I 77 and I 40 in NC I have a few bags extra.

I wish I was a little closer, I would take you up on it. I'll check with the co-op and see if they can get it. I may plant some and see how it does.

I suggested the ryegrass because i assumed you would be planting something else later this summer. If you will not replace untill the fall or next spring then a summer annual would make sense, millet, crabgrass. Problem is they are expensive and require some fertilizer. Ryegrass suggestion was just for short term erosion control and be good for a later planing of something else this dummer. If you don't have time to properly prepare the land for seeding, don't do the seeded bermuda now. That has to be done very precisely and is very expensive seed. Also you don't want the good seeded variety or common if you really want something else later because it is hard to get rid of.

agmantoo":3cq6dpiz said:
I bought it from a local ag source at $12 per 50 lb bag. If you live in near I 77 and I 40 in NC I have a few bags extra.
I learn something every day here.........thanks. I was wondering what you meant by " cereal rye." Now I know. Thanks.

Douglas":2s3cynvf said:
I suggested the ryegrass because i assumed you would be planting something else later this summer. If you will not replace untill the fall or next spring then a summer annual would make sense, millet, crabgrass. Problem is they are expensive and require some fertilizer. Ryegrass suggestion was just for short term erosion control and be good for a later planing of something else this dummer. If you don't have time to properly prepare the land for seeding, don't do the seeded bermuda now. That has to be done very precisely and is very expensive seed. Also you don't want the good seeded variety or common if you really want something else later because it is hard to get rid of.
The fats sprouting was the reason I mentioned it. But if it's gonna be too hot for annual rye grass it's sure gonna be too hot for fescue or any of the other cool season grasses/forages.

Kingfisher":38jmjyon said:
agmantoo":38jmjyon said:
I learn something every day here.........thanks. I was wondering what you meant by " cereal rye." Now I know. Thanks.

Cereal Rye will come up, go to seed, and die within a month this time of year. The advantage of cereal rye is that it will germinate in a bed of dust but has to be covered with dirt. Ryegrass is much more heat tolerent and will sprout on top of the ground with a little rain normally. Maybe put a little of both

Douglas":1vs26gaw said:
Hey Dun, what about Lespedeza mixed in. It will cost more but it will improve the soil and hang on longer. If some of it stayed around in future bermuda that would be good too. Auburn has done a lot on lespedeza

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1318/
Lespedeza would take a little more work to seed and get in the soil, but broadcasting it and dragging it then rolling would work ok. It just (around here anyway) gets strated later and doesn;t really start doing much till june or so.

This pic is 30 days after the previous photo on this post was taken. Just wanted to share what cereal rye can do for ground cover. No lime or fertilizer was applied. I am certain the PH is low and I know I need to apply nutrients which I will.
cerealrye.jpg

Latest posts