Scrotal Circumfrence...

Help Support CattleToday:

PLR

Reaction score
What kind of measuments are you looking for? What size(for what ever breed you raise) do you look for at 1 year and 2 years?

Just looking for a ballpark number.

Thanks

Shelby

PLR":elmev1le said:
What kind of measuments are you looking for? What size(for what ever breed you raise) do you look for at 1 year and 2 years?

Just looking for a ballpark number.

Thanks

Shelby

Angus - minimum 32 cm as a yearling...

I have a short memory so I'm always inventing ways to learn something one time and remember it forever. Will you please forgive me for the following memory aid that I thought up on this subject quite awhile back?

"Twendy-eight to thirty-six...you want the bulls with the biggest...." Shucks, I wish I could remember the last word.

I read the range of 28 to 36 in an Angus Publication. A bull has to be fertile but to borrow an expression from Dun, he has to also have wheels and other attributes including desire.

SO I am to assume that 38 and 39 are good measurements for 2-3 year old bulls?

Whats the biggest yall have dealt with?

Shelby

This year's yearlings, the ugly bull 37 and the good one was 40. Last years biggest was 43 and smallest was 36.

The Beef Improvement Federation recommends a minimum of 32 cm at 12 months of age for most breeds. This is the standard that bulls have to pass for the NY Bull test.
But 36 to 40 is much better at 12 MONTHS OLD.
Limos usually have a hard time passing the 32 cm.
The Simmental bulls on NY test ranged 38 to 41 - mine had a 40.5 cm - all adjusted to 12 months of age.
Black Angus ranged - 38.5 to 44.5
Red Angus ranged - 35.5 to 40.5
Herefords ranged - 36 to 41
Larger yearling testicle size is an indicator that his daughters will be earlier maturity - sexually.
So at 2 years old, I would expect larger than 40. Of course, it all is correlated to the growth of the bull. If he has been stunted, and only weighs 1500# at two years old, his testicle size will also be stunted. (just as an example).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":luw2jd4e said:
The Beef Improvement Federation recommends a minimum of 32 cm at 12 months of age for most breeds. This is the standard that bulls have to pass for the NY Bull test.
But 36 to 40 is much better at 12 MONTHS OLD.
Limos usually have a hard time passing the 32 cm.
The Simmental bulls on NY test ranged 38 to 41 - mine had a 40.5 cm - all adjusted to 12 months of age.
Black Angus ranged - 38.5 to 44.5
Red Angus ranged - 35.5 to 40.5
Herefords ranged - 36 to 41
Larger yearling testicle size is an indicator that his daughters will be earlier maturity - sexually.
So at 2 years old, I would expect larger than 40. Of course, it all is correlated to the growth of the bull. If he has been stunted, and only weighs 1500# at two years old, his testicle size will also be stunted. (just as an example).

My Red Angus was 40 at 16 months for what it is worth. Again my FLA raised grass fed bull at 3 years old is just making 1500#. One of these days I will raise one on grain :)

Latest posts