Screwed up last night

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
Anyone got any tricks or advice on how to repair/fix newer Hogwire fence? I was mowing last night and there was a railroad tie that was beside the fence that I didn't see and it tore two pretty good holes in it. :cry2: Thanks in advance. B&G

Black and Good":2k8bipgl said:
Anyone got any tricks or advice on how to repair/fix newer Hogwire fence? I was mowing last night and there was a railroad tie that was beside the fence that I didn't see and it tore two pretty good holes in it. :cry2: Thanks in advance. B&G

I don't think duct tape will fix that. The only thing I know of would be to cut out the damaged part and splice in a new piece.

The best way is to use a goldenrod type stretcher. Use the crimp sleeves made by stay.tuff they come in different sizes. You can fix it as good as new pretty easy. The tool to crimp the sleeves is pricey. About 50 bucks. But it includes a high quality bolt cutter. Or if your careful you can use bolt cutters to crimp the sleeves

Rafter S":kt6qh8ze said:
Black and Good":kt6qh8ze said:

The only thing I know of would be to cut out the damaged part and splice in a new piece.
That or spliced in barb wire is how we've always done it.

Sitting down in the old lunch room. Thought I might show you. Golden rod, crimper/cutter, jars of crimps. Just thought I might show something you don't get a lot on ct.....THE REAL DEAL..not that it makes a difference.
M5 I truly thank you for your help with posting photos. It's a blast

fenceman":3em2nk3m said:
Sitting down in the old lunch room. Thought I might show you. Golden rod, crimper/cutter, jars of crimps. Just thought I might show something you don't get a lot on ct.....THE REAL DEAL..not that it makes a difference.
M5 I truly thank you for your help with posting photos. It's a blast

Fenceman,

I've seen those sleeves, but deep down I didn't trust them not to slip. They work okay?

Yes they work fine. The one's made for ht do grip better. But the main thing is to get good crimps. At least, 3. Leave a inch or so tag of wire past crimp fold it over tight against crimp sleeve before releasing stretcher. I'll add I'm not in love with them for splicing barbwire. But for repairing net wire. They are the only way to go

I cut a patch of new material bigger then the hole then put it over it and use the tag ends to twist around the old stuff and the torn stuff twisted to the patch. Only have a little bit of hogwire and it's 75 years old and so grown up with trees/brush that it's hard to get to much of it. If it's a big hole I put a cattle panel over it. and twist the old fence to it.

dun":1qalguel said:
I cut a patch of new material bigger then the hole then put it over it and use the tag ends to twist around the old stuff and the torn stuff twisted to the patch. Only have a little bit of hogwire and it's 75 years old and so grown up with trees/brush that it's hard to get to much of it. If it's a big hole I put a cattle panel over it. and twist the old fence to it.
That'll work on that old stuff... just watch out for the building inspector ;-)

dun":3984rtz9 said:

I also do as dun does sometimes. I have also taken a pallet and stood over hole and stapled the broken pieces to it. If its an oak pallet and you raise it off the ground you can get 10 15 yrs out of that patch

fenceman":2gwdpniq said:
dun":2gwdpniq said:
Bldg inspector doesn't give a shyt what you do on your own place as long as you're paying for it. :mrgreen:

fenceman":2iq8e96t said:
dun":2iq8e96t said:
The building inspector has nothing to do with fencing.

dun":ecqria0f said:
fenceman":ecqria0f said:
dun":ecqria0f said:
The building inspector has nothing to do with fencing.
Please let him know

I use crimps on high tensile wire that I cure tobacco on. Those wires have around 40000 pounds on them when it is green so they hold pretty good.

I am married to a building inspector ;-), She is not a real building inspector, but if I patch a fence with a pallet the penalties are pretty severe...

Something to the effect " doing it right the first time"

Latest posts