Scrambled eggs

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39":1qqagmc5 said:
dun":1qqagmc5 said:
preston39":1qqagmc5 said:
Dunn,Arrow,

Here's the complete article. My "quote" was from the lower 1/3.

I am sure they are referring to feed lots, confined pins for chicken and the like.

http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_environm ... -what.html

I kind of figured it was from one of the peta-ish organizations.
========
dun,

The messenger has nothing to do with the message, I submit.

Herbivores should not be fed animal parts or bi-products of any kind. Who ever started the practice was obviously mentally mis-configured. I don't care who or how many was involved.

This is one practice that should never have happened and should die quick.

"Factory farm" a peta termdoesn;t specify the feed as much as the way critters are raised. By their standards, most dairys are "factory farms", so are any food producer that has animals in captivity. If they can ram that BS down peoples throats, next it will be even pasture is considered captivity. Their goal is no meat being eaten by anyone, or pets kept for that matter unless they are considered equal to humans.

I don't think anyone should be trying to spin this into a PETA thing......... it is not.

The "Union Of Concerned Scientists", et al., being adamantly opposed to the practice is hardly an attempt to control or eliminate an industry. The goal is to infuse some common sense and bring needed change in practices. Consumers should welcome it. We are all consumers!!!

http://www.ehponline.org/members/2007/9760/9760.pdf

hillsdown":ko9goe1e said:
Keren":ko9goe1e said:
mnmtranching":ko9goe1e said:
I don't know if this is related? I guess :cboy:

My bottle calves, 4 or so per year get a good helping of raw egg mixed in with their milk replacer. Why? we have more farm fresh eggs then we can eat. So I feed the calves eggs. Does it do them good? Dunno? Sure ain't seen no harm in it. Compare it to chicken litter, Nope, don't think so. :roll:

I have in a pinch made artificial colostrum for poddies when I had no fresh stuff and no access to the mother (people arrive on my doorstep frequently with poddies :roll: ) and it always contained raw egg. I never even thought of it as being animal protein. Whoops. Still, I know that in all the cases I've used the artificial colostrum recipie instead of fresh stuff, I've seen no set back in the animal.

Karen you can not make colostrum as it has no antibodies which is what the main purpose of colostrum is.

The quote wasn't from a peta group.Maybe producers should think a little bit more about what they are putting into their animals.Once it goes to the feed lots you have no say anymore.

If we as producers want to help our industry at all DO NOT FEED ANY ANIMAL PROTEIN BACK TO OUR CATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BSE anyone??????????? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hillsdown, I know I cant make colostrum (at least not until I have a baby :) ) - but you can make artificial colostrum ie a substitute. Obviously its not the same - but colostrum does many more things than suppling antibodies. You make it by adding 1 egg, a spoonful of cod liver oil, yoghurt and glucose to the normal milk replacer. Lambs/kids/calves raised on this also need a shot of AD & E, or vitamin drops added to the mix. And they should be vaccinated for clostridial diseases (ie 5 - in - 1) as soon as they reach 4 weeks, then again 4 weeks later, and a third 4 weeks after the second shot.

I would guesstimate I have raised 10 - 12 lambs on this colostrum, about half of which I know didnt get any natural colostrum. And I didnt lose any. It works -- you just have more worries and have to have better management skills.

rouxshortorn":23squxwn said:
Would scrambled eggs be considered poultry litter or would it be alright for cattle feed???

Ya could also try a little bacon and butterd toast with em.

Cal

I think I may have insight to this post.

rouxshortorn wrote:
Would scrambled eggs be considered poultry litter or would it be alright for cattle feed???

I bet he/she was eating scrambled eggs while out with the cows and a cow thought it looked good.So he/she may have let them sample a bite or two.

If I am close let me know as I don't think this really was a post about someone considering feeding eggs to their livestock but perhaps something strange that had happened.

However I do hope it has opened some peoples eyes as to what you should allow your cattle to consume.A lot of research is being done to waht caused BSE in livestock, and although not iron clad, let us not give the naysayers any reason to boycott beef.I am a proud producer and try to ensure that my animals are herbivores as I am sure you all are also.

Karen I don't think there is any alternative for colostrum.So if one uses milk and adds a "colimune" and vitamins it should work somewhat the same without the egg to give a baby a good start.I still would buy powdered colostrum even if they only get 2 feedings it will be much better in the long run.But with you rescuing the animals anything you give them would be better than the alternative they have.I also applaud you for rescuing all of the poddies that you do :clap: .

Let's all try to think outside the box.
BTW those that feed marshmallows as treats is a no no also.

hillsdown":2so3calu said:
Karen I don't think there is any alternative for colostrum.

So, by this post, I'm thinking it safe to say that all of your animals are perfect mothers, and you have never purchased powdered colostrum for your calves? Somehow, I find that a little difficult to believe. Yes - colostrum substitutes are a sorry second, but they sure beat nothing at all. I believe that is where Keren was coming from. I would suggest that if you haven't tried it, don't knock it! :roll:

I have saved many a calf, that had NEVER tasted mothers colostrum. Most of the time it's the weaker twin. Got three running around the farmyard right now. Part of my recipe is raw egg, farm fresh. Would I feed chicken litter? never!

If some of you consider eggs chicken litter :lol: :lol: What do you have for breakfast :help: :help:

eggs are still an animal by product. The protien makeup is different than plants...obviously...Herbivours require only plant matter not animal. This is how we got into this mess in the first place.
msscamp, from reading hillsdown she has used powder colostrum as a sub.
Keren, making a "colostrum" from scratch is impossible cause it has no antibodies which is the whole reason behind colostrum.
Package colostrum is from dairy herds freeze dried to protect the antibodies. It is tested for antibody quality and for disease before the freeze drying and then retested for antibodies after processing. Reason for good qaulity from a package and not some cheap knock off.
Calves get the antibodies from colostrum to build their immunity. They are born with zero immuntiy and this colostrum gives them the good passive start they need.
There is no possible way to make colostrum. Make a richer more fattier, more protien milk yes, but colostrum no. Not unless you have an antibody factory.

[
Avoid factory farmed animal products altogether by choosing plant-based foods.
Choose grass-fed and grass-finished beef and dairy products and pasture-raised pork, poultry, and egg products.
Select certified organic meats, eggs, and dairy and those clearly labeled as using only vegetarian animal feed.

So are you saying that you should not buy beef that came from a feedlot?????

msscamp":3svx7tea said:
hillsdown":3svx7tea said:

So, by this post, I'm thinking it safe to say that all of your animals are perfect mothers, and you have never purchased powdered colostrum for your calves? Somehow, I find that a little difficult to believe. Yes - colostrum substitutes are a sorry second, but they sure beat nothing at all. I believe that is where Keren was coming from. I would suggest that if you haven't tried it, don't knock it! :roll:

Powdered colostrum is colostrum READ THE LABEL>>>>>>>
What the H!!! did you think it was made from. :roll:

Keren was making a feeding not colostrum look up what colostrum means...(I apologize for misspelling your name so many times :oops: )

Colostrum is the first lacteal secretion produced by the mammary gland of a mother prior to the production of milk. Any secretion after the first removal of all or part is then termed Transitional Milk.

Only colostrum collected from the single first milking within 0-6 hours after birth maintains nature's perfect balance of immunological and body regulating biologically active proteins.
Bovine colostrum is a natural immune system enhancer designed so carefully as nature intended it as the first food for new life.

Colostrum (also known as beestings or first milk) is a form of milk produced by the mammary glands in late pregnancy and the few days after giving birth.

Human and bovine colostrums are thick, sticky and yellowish. In humans, it has high concentrations of nutrients and antibodies, but it is small in quantity.

Colostrum is high in carbohydrates, high in protein, high in antibodies, and low in fat (as human newborns may find fat difficult to digest). Newborns have very small digestive systems, and colostrum delivers its nutrients in a very concentrated low-volume form. It has a mild laxative effect, encouraging the passing of the baby's first stool, which is called meconium. This clears excess bilirubin, a waste product of dead red blood cells which is produced in large quantities at birth due to blood volume reduction, from the infant's body and helps prevent jaundice.

Colostrum contains large numbers of antibodies called "secretory immunoglobulin" (IgA) that help protect the mucous membranes in the throat, lungs, and intestines of the infant. Leukocytes are also present in large numbers; these begin protecting the infant from harmful viruses and bacteria. Ingesting colostrum establishes beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.

Also what Rockridgecattle stated. :)

If in a pinch and for some reason I did not have my necessary supplies for calving season I would use Karen's' recipe but without the egg (hopefully I will always be prepared).

I would never be able to sell another bull or heifer if people heard that I was giving my livestock animal protein.

rockridgecattle":2nliiqzr said:
eggs are still an animal by product. The protien makeup is different than plants...obviously...Herbivours require only plant matter not animal. This is how we got into this mess in the first place.
msscamp, from reading hillsdown she has used powder colostrum as a sub.
Keren, making a "colostrum" from scratch is impossible cause it has no antibodies which is the whole reason behind colostrum.
Package colostrum is from dairy herds freeze dried to protect the antibodies. It is tested for antibody quality and for disease before the freeze drying and then retested for antibodies after processing. Reason for good qaulity from a package and not some cheap knock off.
Calves get the antibodies from colostrum to build their immunity. They are born with zero immuntiy and this colostrum gives them the good passive start they need.
There is no possible way to make colostrum. Make a richer more fattier, more protien milk yes, but colostrum no. Not unless you have an antibody factory.

Milk, I reckon is a animal bi product. Truly, I'm glad you and all Canadians are being careful.

yess milk is an animal bi product...designed for the species it serves. chickens are not herbivors. There for they are designed differntly.

I hope all Canadians and US alike are diligent and carefull.

Choose grass-fed and grass-finished beef and dairy products and pasture-raised pork, poultry, and egg products.

my teeth are not sharp enough to eat grass finished beef.

hillsdown":71fdshbk said:
msscamp":71fdshbk said:
hillsdown":71fdshbk said:

Powdered colostrum is colostrum READ THE LABEL>>>>>>>
What the H!!! did you think it was made from. :roll:

Keren was making a feeding not colostrum look up what colostrum means...(I apologize for misspelling your name so many times :oops: )

Colostrum is the first lacteal secretion produced by the mammary gland of a mother prior to the production of milk. Any secretion after the first removal of all or part is then termed Transitional Milk.

Only colostrum collected from the single first milking within 0-6 hours after birth maintains nature's perfect balance of immunological and body regulating biologically active proteins.
Bovine colostrum is a natural immune system enhancer designed so carefully as nature intended it as the first food for new life.

YOU are the one who stated, and I quote, "there is no substitute for colostrum", and that is the point I chose to contest, because it is not true. I'm fully aware of what colostrum is, as well as the time frame during which it is 'manufactured' by any female, pregnant member of a particular species. :roll: I am also fully aware of the fact that when neither colostrum, nor powdered colostrum is available, there are a few tricks the old-timers have to help keep calves alive until their immune systems kick in. Apparently you are unaware of the fact that powdered colostrum has only been around for the last 20, maybe 30 years - yet cattlemen and women have been keeping calves alive for a whole lot longer than that! Are they a sorry second? Yes! Do they work all the time? No! But they can very well mean the difference between a calf living or dying when there is nothing else at hand.

I hate to get in the middle of a, can I be stupider than my previous post but,for those that think you can substitute feedings with crap that was fed thirty years ago need to WAKE UP!!!Times have changed get with it or throw in the towel.

EFSA opinion on the BSE related public health risks of certain animal
proteins in animal feed

http://efsaopinionbseanimalprotein.blogspot.com/

Please read all of this.

You are not helping the industry at all with your backward thinking.

hillsdown":1f2oz0vv said:
Keren":1f2oz0vv said:
mnmtranching":1f2oz0vv said:
I don't know if this is related? I guess :cboy:

My bottle calves, 4 or so per year get a good helping of raw egg mixed in with their milk replacer. Why? we have more farm fresh eggs then we can eat. So I feed the calves eggs. Does it do them good? Dunno? Sure ain't seen no harm in it. Compare it to chicken litter, Nope, don't think so. :roll:

I have in a pinch made artificial colostrum for poddies when I had no fresh stuff and no access to the mother (people arrive on my doorstep frequently with poddies :roll: ) and it always contained raw egg. I never even thought of it as being animal protein. Whoops. Still, I know that in all the cases I've used the artificial colostrum recipie instead of fresh stuff, I've seen no set back in the animal.

Karen you can not make colostrum as it has no antibodies which is what the main purpose of colostrum is.

The quote wasn't from a peta group.Maybe producers should think a little bit more about what they are putting into their animals.Once it goes to the feed lots you have no say anymore.

If we as producers want to help our industry at all DO NOT FEED ANY ANIMAL PROTEIN BACK TO OUR CATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BSE anyone??????????? :roll: :roll: :roll:

So you feed only grass & Grain? no protein supp.

In canada the protien supplements are either all natural or they use urea for protien. They kicked the chicken feathers out.
July 12th saw a rule come into effect of no animal by-products in livestock food. Not imported or domesticaly made.
The urea is in the higher concentration blocks for cows and yearlings only. But you can get all natural for them as well as calves, the protien is just lower.

RR

Latest posts