Scrambled eggs

Help Support CattleToday:

rouxshortorn

Reaction score
Would scrambled eggs be considered poultry litter or would it be alright for cattle feed???

Eggs are an animal protein so I would say no do not give them to your cattle.

BTW why on earth would you want to feed that? Grass is better for them and cheaper.

I don't know if this is related? I guess :cboy:

My bottle calves, 4 or so per year get a good helping of raw egg mixed in with their milk replacer. Why? we have more farm fresh eggs then we can eat. So I feed the calves eggs. Does it do them good? Dunno? Sure ain't seen no harm in it. Compare it to chicken litter, Nope, don't think so. :roll:

http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_environm ... -what.html

Same Species Meat, Diseased Animals, and Feathers, Hair, Skin, and Blood

The advent of "mad cow" disease (also known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy or BSE) raised international concern about the safety of feeding rendered[1] cattle to cattle. Since the discovery of mad cow disease in the United States, the federal government has taken some action to restrict the parts of cattle that can be fed back to cattle.

However, most animals are still allowed to eat meat from their own species. Pig carcasses can be rendered and fed back to pigs, chicken carcasses can be rendered and fed back to chickens, and turkey carcasses can be rendered and fed back to turkeys. Even cattle can still be fed cow blood and some other cow parts.

Under current law, pigs, chickens, and turkeys that have been fed rendered cattle can be rendered and fed back to cattle—a loophole that may allow mad cow agents to infect healthy cattle.

Animal feed legally can contain rendered road kill, dead horses, and euthanized cats and dogs.

Rendered feathers, hair, skin, hooves, blood, and intestines can also be found in feed, often under catch-all categories like "animal protein products."

Yes you can do this in the US should you NO>>>>>>>>>>

hillsdown":2nzrvs6n said:
http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_environment/sustainable_food/they-eat-what.html

Same Species Meat, Diseased Animals, and Feathers, Hair, Skin, and Blood

The advent of "mad cow" disease (also known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy or BSE) raised international concern about the safety of feeding rendered[1] cattle to cattle. Since the discovery of mad cow disease in the United States, the federal government has taken some action to restrict the parts of cattle that can be fed back to cattle.

However, most animals are still allowed to eat meat from their own species. Pig carcasses can be rendered and fed back to pigs, chicken carcasses can be rendered and fed back to chickens, and turkey carcasses can be rendered and fed back to turkeys. Even cattle can still be fed cow blood and some other cow parts.

Under current law, pigs, chickens, and turkeys that have been fed rendered cattle can be rendered and fed back to cattle—a loophole that may allow mad cow agents to infect healthy cattle.

Animal feed legally can contain rendered road kill, dead horses, and euthanized cats and dogs.

Rendered feathers, hair, skin, hooves, blood, and intestines can also be found in feed, often under catch-all categories like "animal protein products."

Yes you can do this in the US should you NO>>>>>>>>>>

I agree. You can do it but you should definately not.

This kind of sh** is going to be the death of the beef industry in America.

Yes we can do some crazy things. But, our Gov. is not always correct. Should we be doing it...NO;

..........."As a consumer armed with information, you have the power to promote a proper approach to raising animals that is both productive and healthful. You can help to effect change by supporting systems and producers that feed animals the food they were meant to eat.

You can:

Avoid factory farmed animal products altogether by choosing plant-based foods.
Choose grass-fed and grass-finished beef and dairy products and pasture-raised pork, poultry, and egg products.
Select certified organic meats, eggs, and dairy and those clearly labeled as using only vegetarian animal feed.
Purchase meats, eggs, and dairy products from local farmers on the farm, at farmers markets, or by buying a share from a local farmer as part of a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program".

Sell the eggs and buy the animals a range cube treat if you wish.

It is called being individually responsible for what is right in the treatment of animals. They do not have the brain power to discern what they are given to eat under some conditions.

Please don't do it!!!!!!!!

preston39":2shny44o said:

Waht pray tell constitutes a factory farm?

preston39":3e3e6p32 said:

Good luck with that one fella. Unless you raise and consume your own meat and animal products, more than likely the meat you buy comes from an animal confinement, especially pork and poultry. That is just the nature of the beast.

mnmtranching":3dzm6kbi said:

My bottle calves, 4 or so per year get a good helping of raw egg mixed in with their milk replacer. Why? we have more farm fresh eggs then we can eat. So I feed the calves eggs. Does it do them good? Dunno? Sure ain't seen no harm in it. Compare it to chicken litter, Nope, don't think so. :roll:

I have in a pinch made artificial colostrum for poddies when I had no fresh stuff and no access to the mother (people arrive on my doorstep frequently with poddies :roll: ) and it always contained raw egg. I never even thought of it as being animal protein. Whoops. Still, I know that in all the cases I've used the artificial colostrum recipie instead of fresh stuff, I've seen no set back in the animal.

Keren":10z8vzsu said:
mnmtranching":10z8vzsu said:

I have in a pinch made artificial colostrum for poddies when I had no fresh stuff and no access to the mother (people arrive on my doorstep frequently with poddies :roll: ) and it always contained raw egg. I never even thought of it as being animal protein. Whoops. Still, I know that in all the cases I've used the artificial colostrum recipie instead of fresh stuff, I've seen no set back in the animal.

Karen you can not make colostrum as it has no antibodies which is what the main purpose of colostrum is.

The quote wasn't from a peta group.Maybe producers should think a little bit more about what they are putting into their animals.Once it goes to the feed lots you have no say anymore.

If we as producers want to help our industry at all DO NOT FEED ANY ANIMAL PROTEIN BACK TO OUR CATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BSE anyone??????????? :roll: :roll: :roll:

dun":18mtgwxt said:
preston39":18mtgwxt said:
Dunn,Arrow,

Here's the complete article. My "quote" was from the lower 1/3.

I am sure they are referring to feed lots, confined pins for chicken and the like.

http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_environm ... -what.html

I kind of figured it was from one of the peta-ish organizations.
========
dun,

The messenger has nothing to do with the message, I submit.

Herbivores should not be fed animal parts or bi-products of any kind. Who ever started the practice was obviously mentally mis-configured. I don't care who or how many was involved.

This is one practice that should never have happened and should die quick.

Guess I overlooked that.

If someone does not want to feed animal protien they really need to read the ingredients on protien tubs, a lot of them use poultry products.

they passed laws in Canada...0 and i mean zero animal byproducts are allowed in any animal feed domesticaly made or imported...dog food exempt i think.
Lessons learned here...

Latest posts