scouring calf with runny eyes

Help Support CattleToday:

acriswell

Reaction score
We got a Holstein calf from the sale barn four days ago. He's about a week old. He's scouring and his eyes look a little runny today. Otherwise he's pretty perky. His appetite is good. His weight seems fine. My questions are (and I'm even more confused after reading many other posts):

Do runny eyes indicate a different problem (his nose is NOT running or red), or do scouring calves sometimes do that? Is that something to address seperately from the scouring?

What is the ideal amount of milk replacement? We've been feeding him twice a day and he drinks the full two quarts with gusto. We started out with 4 oz of milk replacer per two quarts of water and are working up to eight oz. of "formula" (that worked last year with our scouring Holstein sale barn calf). Does he need more calories (via formula), or should I give him electrolytes? Do I skip a milk feeding to give him electrolytes or add an electrolyte feeding? Does more water in his bottle make the scours worse, or is it more formula?

I hand fed him some calf starter pellets today and he ate them. I'll keep working on that.

He's been on scour pills (from the feed store) for three days. Does he need probiotics too?

Sorry to ask so much at once, but I want to help him (within reason). He's a "project" for our kids to learn from. We also got him a friend (a jersey mix) yesterday, and the friend is fiesty and perky and isn't scouring yet.

Please help!

Thanks,
Alice Criswell

Hi, Alice :)

If the calf is still eating, that's wonderful. Now, for the milk replacer and electrolytes.

Don't cut back on the amount of milk replacer powder...ever. In fact, were it me, I would use whatever the milk replacer bag called for in the amount of the powder and mix it in 3 pints of water, and give that twice a day.

Electrolytes need to be given to scouring calves. So, give the electrolytes at the first feeding, then 2 hours later give the milk replacer. For the evening feeding give the electrolytes, then 2 hours later the milk replacer. If the calf becomes listless, or lethargic, just figure it's dehydrated from the scours and get electrolytes into it post haste. Never, ever stop giving the milk replacer. Also, probios is always good to give to a scouring calf, or any calf, especially if the calf is getting antibiotics. Encouraging the calf to eat the dry feed is great, and if he's doing it, that's even better.

The eye watering could be from allergens, or wind. The thing to watch out for with these babies, when they scour, is pneumonia. If the calf starts to pull off his bottle while he's drinking, or sounds gurgley while he's drinking, or is coughing, then you probably should talk to the vet about some potent antibiotics to stop whatever it is before it gets out of hand.

This is my 2 cents...good luck. :)

Alice

I think Alice answered this all very well . The only thing I would add is that we have found that watery eyes many times preceed ear infections and respiratory problems . I think at this time of year I would consider that evidence enough to give him a shot of Draxxin .

Larry

Thanks (all) for the advice. The calf was worse this morning-he still ate all his breakfast, but a little more slowly than yesterday-eyes looked worse too. And his nose finally looks pink. We got Baytril for him (and some for the other calf just in case-vet's recommendation). We also go Probios paste, some electrolyte/psylium stuff, and the intranasal IBR vaccine for our other calf. I hope we got it in time!!! He looks pretty pitiful. Any ideas how fast a shot of Baytril could help? Does one dose (6ccs for a 100ish pound calf) qualify as hitting him hard, or might he need more?

Alice C.
Emory, Texas

Sounds good n hard on the dose. How long to work? IDK. Subq or IM?
Fastest help would be a shot of banamine along with other meds. Picks them up quick in my experience. Good on probios and electrolytes ~ both very imp.

Latest posts