Scottish Highland Heifer Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Loch Valley Fold

Reaction score
Well here she is... way early but healthy & strong. My first Highland heifer by our herd bull. BW is approx 20kg (44lbs). While mamma is ok with me coming up to her on foot or on a motor bike ( I have an atv & trailer which I use to feed out hay with) she's not too fussed with anyone getting to close to her baby. Baby was born 4 weeks early after her mamma ate some pine needles 3 days before she was born. (born 20.08.08)
Flora_and_baby2.jpg

Flora_and_baby1.jpg

Cute! A heifer calved some three weeks early at our place ten years ago. A stout bull calf, weighing only seventeen kilograms, 37 pounds, but completely healthy and very active. He took two months more to reach slaughter weight at normal size.

Yes she is very cute & being my only heifer born this year I have no doubt that she will be spoilt to bits. Mamma is very protective so I'm lucky to be able to get as close as I can with her as I couldn't get near her last calf for 2 weeks after it was born. Just goes to show what happens when your willing to put in a little extra effort can do.
I had been very careful with the pregnant cows that they didn't get anywhere near our small pine plantation as eating the needles can make the cow abort the calf, anyway one of my heifers went looking for the bull the other night & busted throught the fence. When I got up next morning there was Flora up under the pine trees having a good ol' feed on the needles. 3 days later babe was born, she was indeed a lucky little thing

Thanks Tatts18 I think she is beautiful :D it will be interesting to see how long it takes now for her to get her long teddy bear coat

Latest posts