School's

Help Support CattleToday:

Dun's right on again, after you get out of your service you can go to the V. A. hospital for treatment. Health care crisis fixed.

dun":2jzfc6sf said:
Kingfisher":2jzfc6sf said:
"A student graduating from high school has very little real life education. He knows nothing about how to handle money, get a job, present himself to people, or many other skills needed to be successful. A person getting a degree in college isn't much better off. "
Aren't those things a parent should teach their children?
That's why every kid should join the military straight out of highschool
Or at least go to a college that requires 2 years of ROTC.

dun":1a8puymu said:
Kingfisher":1a8puymu said:
"A student graduating from high school has very little real life education. He knows nothing about how to handle money, get a job, present himself to people, or many other skills needed to be successful. A person getting a degree in college isn't much better off. "
I have a young friend from Austria, and over there they have to do a brief military stint or the same period of time (I wanna say 18 mos, but I can't really remember) in some sort of community service work.
And as far as the mention of how we stack up in comparison with other nations, I always wonder how many of them have universal compulsory education.

It is real hard to sue the goverment and win. The doctors malpractice insurance would be cheaper, all insurance would be cheaper. The lawyers have caused most of the healthcare problem. Well the lawyers have pretty much broke the U.S.A.

highgrit":3xe0lzes said:
It is real hard to sue the goverment and win. The doctors malpractice insurance would be cheaper, all insurance would be cheaper. The lawyers have caused most of the healthcare problem. Well the lawyers have pretty much broke the U.S.A.
Since when has anything the government did been cheaper than private enterprise. Just because they pay for it does not mean it is not comming out of our pockets.

highgrit":13mh2id2 said:

Millions are paid out each year by VA hospitals in medical malpractice settlements. The only difference is that this money is paid by the taxpayers rather than a private insurance company. It's not cheaper, it's just coming from a different source........us.

You say the lawyers have caused most of the healthcare problems. To a certain extent that's true. They have raised the costs by filing frivolous lawsuits and to combat that there needs to be some kind of tort reform. But, like it or not, medical malpractice does exist, and the victims deserve to be compensated whether the damage was done at a VA hospital or anywhere else. The laws allowing people to sue the federal govenment are different than they are in the private sector. It takes a lawyer that knows what they're doing to get a case through the courts. A good number of those lawyers are ex-military that know how the system works. They have served our country and now they are serving the veterans of our country by representing them in such cases, usually at much less cost than the going rate. I don't think it's fair to lump them in with the ambulance chasers.

Only the 53 percent that pay income tax. The GI bill was good for alot of Veterans. A bunch went to college on it. And the VA home loans were alot better than freddie and fannie. I would rather my tax money to the VA, than to acorn, and naacp.

farmwriter":1lewpt10 said:
dun":1lewpt10 said:
Kingfisher":1lewpt10 said:
I have a young friend from Austria, and over there they have to do a brief military stint or the same period of time (I wanna say 18 mos, but I can't really remember) in some sort of community service work.
And as far as the mention of how we stack up in comparison with other nations, I always wonder how many of them have universal compulsory education.[/quote]

I wonder that too, I'm sure not that not many try to provide a basic education to all the way we do.

I remember I was about 16 and I went to a Farm Bureau camp for a week, with other 16 year olds. We were sitting in a circle reading in turn, it came to the turn of a boy and he read like a first grader. For some reason I was so embarrassed by his reading and to this day I don't know why, I guess because I was so shocked, or I felt so bad for him. From that day on I've had a certain empathy those that will never do calculus or be able to write an essay, but the education they do get is important to the way they'll live there lives and if that means that as a nation we don't appear to be number one in education, then so be it .

Larry

farmwriter":22047coo said:
...And as far as the mention of how we stack up in comparison with other nations, I always wonder how many of them have universal compulsory education.
I had a college professor that grew up in Iran and came to the U.S. in her early 30's. She said when they reached what we call jr. high age, only about the top half of the students went on in school. She said the rest went to work. At high school age, they were thinned down by about half again, leaving only about the top 25% to finish school and possibly go on to college. The rest went to work! Comparing our students to other countries and saying we are falling behind will only get worse if we continue our current system. It's great that we try to give all our kids a free education, but there are hidden costs to making all things equal. I have a class of 22 kids, 6 of whom are special education students with learning and/or behavioral disabilities that are 'mainstreamed' into the regular classroom for Science and Social Studies/History. They are tested for English and Math skills and sent to the Special Ed classrooms because of deficiencies. They are not tested for Science and Social Studies, therefore they simply walk through our magic doors and are expected to perform as everyone else. As my grandson would say, "Hello!!! They still can't read, count or add!!!" I spend most of my time with disciplinary and classroom management issues. If I get to teach 25 minutes of a 50 minute class period, It was an exceptional day. By law, we must address all the special provisions of the 6 'special' students - regardless of the cost to the other 16! That's what happens when clueless lawyers/politicians make all the laws and rules. I think they should have to spend at least six months in a classroom, on a farm, etc., before they should be allowed to pass any legislation regarding education, agriculture, transportation, conservation, energy, etc., etc., etc. End of rant - no apology!

Sometimes the old school ways are still better for all concerned. I understand that currently very few things are taught by "Rote". At the time in fourth grade when I had to learn the Gettysburg Address or the Declaration of Independence and recite it during a timed presentation to the rest of the class I sure didn't see the value, nor when I was younger and I had to memorize the multiplication tables but I can attest to you that later in life those activities served me well. Not that I can remember the Gettysburg Address verbatim but I learned that the process of memorization can be accomplished. And as for the multiplication tables I really can grasp math and logic because I had a good basis. As for self-esteem it was a great exercise to have completed.For my classmates that really had difficulty with these assignments we all rellished their accomplishments even if they were not equalivalent but they knew they were supported, that was due to the teacher making sure that we all helped each other and not allowing anyone to belittle anyone else.Some change is and has been good but just scrapping everything to start anew in the last 30 years hasn't proved to be totally a good thing.

I always thought vouchers were a good thing but I got to thinking about people paying school taxes and getting nothing from it
take the people that don't have kids or their kids are grown
should they still have to pay taxes because their kids don't go to school anymore
take me for instance I have a daughter still in high school I own property in the district she goes to school in and I live in a different district should I have to pay taxes in the district I live in or should I be able to get a voucher towards my taxes in the district my daughter goes to school in

Take Ol Dun he hasn't had a child in school since they quit teaching in the one room school houses and had outhouses out back should he have to pay school taxes since he has No children in school

My family is a full of educators from the grade school level to the college level and I am sorry I wouldn't make it a day doing their jobs
but most of them will tell you that teaching school today is alot different than it was 20 yrs ago because they have NO way to control or discipline the children anymore
our society has made it wrong for anyone to discipline children even their own parents

Angus Cowman":2n89wdbh said:
I always thought vouchers were a good thing but I got to thinking about people paying school taxes and getting nothing from it
should they still have to pay taxes because their kids don't go to school anymore
take me for instance I have a daughter still in high school I own property in the district she goes to school in and I live in a different district should I have to pay taxes in the district I live in or should I be able to get a voucher towards my taxes in the district my daughter goes to school in

Take Ol Dun he hasn't had a child in school since they quit teaching in the one room school houses and had outhouses out back should he have to pay school taxes since he has No children in school

My family is a full of educators from the grade school level to the college level and I am sorry I wouldn't make it a day doing their jobs
but most of them will tell you that teaching school today is alot different than it was 20 yrs ago because they have NO way to control or discipline the children anymore
our society has made it wrong for anyone to discipline children even their own parents

"A well educated society benefits all" is what I've always been told, and I can see the point in that. We have an excellent public school system where I live so, even though we no longer have kids going there, I appreciate what they did for our kids and want them to keep it up.

The fact is we don't have a lot of say in how our tax dollars are spent. We supply the money and others spend it as they see fit. I hate the idea that some of my tax dollars might go to fund abortions, for instance, but there isn't much I can do except vote for people that think along the same lines as I do.

VanC":27nh1duv said:
Angus Cowman":27nh1duv said:

"A well educated society benefits all" is what I've always been told, and I can see the point in that. We have an excellent public school system where I live so, even though we no longer have kids going there, I appreciate what they did for our kids and want them to keep it up.

The fact is we don't have a lot of say in how our tax dollars are spent. We supply the money and others spend it as they see fit. I hate the idea that some of my tax dollars might go to fund abortions, for instance, but there isn't much I can do except vote for people that think along the same lines as I do.
I agree until they start teaching our kids that being a conservative is bad and being a liberal is good
A couple of my aunts that are teachers have even said the schools have become to onesided and too liberal and that what they are teaching today is a liberal agenda

Yep...if not taxes at least "damages".

AC, my MIL taught third grade for thirty years in the same little Oklahoma school and she retired because she got tired of dealing with parents saying that their little angel could do no wrong...