School's

Help Support CattleToday:

Well said RAB....and then we have the occasional "educated idiot" as well. :lol: Looking back I wish I had also gone to a technical school just for some hands on leaning to fill in some of my other weaknesses. Would love to be able to do small repairs to motors, learn carpentry, electrical wiring, how to weld and things like that. As it now is I'm at the mercy of "those that can" do these things.

TexasBred":310e0ab0 said:
Well said RAB....and then we have the occasional "educated idiot" as well. :lol: Looking back I wish I had also gone to a technical school just for some hands on leaning to fill in some of my other weaknesses. Would love to be able to do small repairs to motors, learn carpentry, electrical wiring, how to weld and things like that. As it now is I'm at the mercy of "those that can" do these things.
Until they throw the dirt over you there is no reason you can;t learn to do that stuff now.

highgrit":v9a7l4vp said:
First, milkmaid way to go. I don't think very many dropouts, or people with just a high school education had much parental supervision. I hated school, but I was blessed that my parents taught me how to work, an be mechanically inclined. With hard work and some common sense anyone can do well in the U.S.A.
I have 5 kids. 3 went through college and made very good grades. 2 dropped out of school at the end of junior high. 1 of the 2 has his own business designing and building CNC machines and does very well (self educated). The other has acquired his GED after 4 yeas of nothing and enrolled in college. All of the 5 were brought up the same. They are were taught to work. The 2 drop outs have ADHD as I do. If I may seem a little testy about this it is because when I was young people thought they could beat me into doing as they thought I should. So by posting this I hope that will cause a few people to be a little open minded before they pass judgement on the situation.

Novatech, I can relate almost 100% ADHD myself. One of my boys graduated from med school in December about time. Ones going to commercial fish, and farm he's ADHD also. My daughter is almost straight A's, wants to be a Doctor also. Very proud of them all, and love them more

dun":1iw3xbtx said:
TexasBred":1iw3xbtx said:
Until they throw the dirt over you there is no reason you can;t learn to do that stuff now.
Exactly correct. :clap:
A good education at any level should be the preparation for learning. Not the end of learning.
There are so many books/videos on so many subjects today that didn't exist just a few years ago.

novatech":3uch0e3g said:
highgrit":3uch0e3g said:
First, milkmaid way to go. I don't think very many dropouts, or people with just a high school education had much parental supervision. I hated school, but I was blessed that my parents taught me how to work, an be mechanically inclined. With hard work and some common sense anyone can do well in the U.S.A.
I have 5 kids. 3 went through college and made very good grades. 2 dropped out of school at the end of junior high. 1 of the 2 has his own business designing and building CNC machines and does very well (self educated). The other has acquired his GED after 4 yeas of nothing and enrolled in college. All of the 5 were brought up the same. They are were taught to work. The 2 drop outs have ADHD as I do. If I may seem a little testy about this it is because when I was young people thought they could beat me into doing as they thought I should. So by posting this I hope that will cause a few people to be a little open minded before they pass judgement on the situation.

I've hired and currently have 2 kids that work for me with ADHD. They will work like nothing you've ever seen, it takes a little more management to keep them on track, but both great kids. I think schools today do a much better job of identifying learning problems in kids. After they identify the problem the can better plan for a kids success in school.

Larry

larryshoat":339ti7fr said:
I've hired and currently have 2 kids that work for me with ADHD. They will work like nothing you've ever seen, it takes a little more management to keep them on track, but both great kids. I think schools today do a much better job of identifying learning problems in kids. After they identify the problem the can better plan for a kids success in school.

Larry
This may sound a bit funny but I have actually hired a person whose main responsibility is to keep me in line. In some ways ADHD is a gift but one must know the pit-falls of having it and find a way through it.
You are correct in that the schools have identified the fact that ADHD students learn differently. They are doing a much better job today. Once a year I volunteer a day to talk to junior high students that have it. Since the last letter in the name represents disorder I titled my presentation "You have a gift, You just have to learn how to use it"
Over 70% of adults with ADHD have never been diagnosed.
Some of the signs.
Your handwriting is terrible.
You are a caffeine addict.
A high percentage smoke.
The mind wonders during conversations, you may change the topic several times.
You have to reread almost everything several times.
You procrastinate.
You forget.
Books put you to sleep.
If you have children with ADHD, you may find it it hard to get them to settle down and go to sleep. As an adult when you wake in the middle of the night you cannot go back to sleep. (The reason I am up now)
Try getting them on the computer rather than a book. It is hands on. Works for me.
Let them do there work in may 15 minute sessions. Their mind may not stay on track much longer than that.
They told me to make lists, but I always forget where I put it.
You have the ability to solve problems. The answers seem obvious or just to be common sense. I am hired as a consultant by a couple of engineering companies for just that purpose. I hire engineering companies to put the numbers together.
Sorry about stealing the thread. Just thought this was important. Well to me anyway.

Black Coos":3hm00w0h said:
That is about half the problem will the School system, The start of private schools 30-40 years ago pulling the top 10 to 15 % of the Money people out, and the others that want to keep their kids from the real world. Thus the people that care or have the money and power to do something has little care with what is going on.. Thus a sorry school system....
You are blaming private schools for failures of public schools. No way, public schools dug their won hole. People who send their kids to private schools still pay taxes to the public school system, at least in my state, the teachers unions will see to that. Private school teachers usually get paid about half of what public teachers make. Public schools are designed so that everyone from every upbringing can get a basic education, the problem is they have just spent too much money and focused on too many other things and the teachers unions have too much power.

hayray":wsea0aas said:
Black Coos":wsea0aas said:
That is about half the problem will the School system, The start of private schools 30-40 years ago pulling the top 10 to 15 % of the Money people out, and the others that want to keep their kids from the real world. Thus the people that care or have the money and power to do something has little care with what is going on.. Thus a sorry school system....
You are blaming private schools for failures of public schools. No way, public schools dug their won hole. People who send their kids to private schools still pay taxes to the public school system, at least in my state, the teachers unions will see to that. Private school teachers usually get paid about half of what public teachers make. Public schools are designed so that everyone from every upbringing can get a basic education, the problem is they have just spent too much money and focused on too many other things and the teachers unions have too much power.
I have found that public schools have better and more resources to educate the variety of students given. My understanding is that we are way behind many other countries in our system. It may be in the way we teach. Or in the results we feel we must obtain. It seems to me that our system wants every one to be clones of the professors teaching them. Kids are not the same. Some are not cut out to be college students. Some are. Some should go straight to tech school.
A student graduating from high school has very little real life education. He knows nothing about how to handle money, get a job, present himself to people, or many other skills needed to be successful. A person getting a degree in college isn't much better off. I
I do not have the answer to the problems we have but when it is politicians that set up the system I know we already have a problem.
Side note. Have you ever sat down and tried to read a high school history book. One of the most interesting subjects in school, or could be. The books are intentionally designed to be nothing but facts. Anything else may give the author credit for writing a good book. The powers that be don't like that.

I think that public schools are not necessarily the best fit for all students, just as private or home schools aren't the best fit for everyone. I used to be sternly against home schooling. I had seen examples of parents who had no business whatever trying to educate their kids at home and I thought it did the kids a big disservice. But I have also seen home school done well, and I can appreciate the effort and dedication that goes into it. Likewise, I have seen private schools pop up everywhere and I'm not entirely sure that they are all good, just because they are " private".

Not all kids do well in school because they think differently than teachers were trained to teach, and if they don't fit the mold, teachers simply don't know what to do with them. It's hard to offer individualized instruction to an out of control child in a class of 22, and as the parent of a kid who was in a class with a child like that, I can tell you that I resented that this one child got 90% of the teacher's attention acting the fool while the rest of the class languished.

So I have decided that there are options out there for a reason, whether social or economic or spiritual.

That said, I am still against school vouchers because I believe that it will cause a dramatic increase in "private" schools that won't be worth a darn, just to get money, much like many of the new online "universities" today. Public schools are heavily regulated and I like that.

Your child, your choice.

dun":36e20lbz said:
TexasBred":36e20lbz said:
Murphy's law dictates the only homeschooled people who volunteer the information give decent homeschoolers a bad name

:lol2: :lol2: Not totally unlike the two or three backwoods bozos they pic for the TV interviews after some big disaster. :lol2:
Sometimes I wonder if those people are for real or if they're buffooning on purpose

No ,unfortunatly I think they are real. That's all the news people can find to interview,because the normal productive people ARE AT WORK !!! :nod:

That said, I am still against school vouchers because I believe that it will cause a dramatic increase in "private" schools that won't be worth a darn, just to get money, much like many of the new online "universities" today. Public schools are heavily regulated and I like that.

Your child, your choice.

Seems folks that send there kids to private or church school should at least be entitled to a voucher equal to the amount of the public school tax they pay. As it is they get the tax money AND don't have the expense of educating the child. They would be in the hole if they had to educate all these kids from private schools.

Well, that's just it. The vouchers won't really help all that much if you are just the average, struggling middle class family trying to do good for your kids. If you can already afford the tuition, you don't really need it. If you are poor, you can get a scholarship.

Lammie":1pv8gcwb said:
Well, that's just it. The vouchers won't really help all that much if you are just the average, struggling middle class family trying to do good for your kids. If you can already afford the tuition, you don't really need it. If you are poor, you can get a scholarship.
If they're that average and struggling that much good chance they're not paying much in taxes either. Maybe my money is paying for them to go to school??

"A student graduating from high school has very little real life education. He knows nothing about how to handle money, get a job, present himself to people, or many other skills needed to be successful. A person getting a degree in college isn't much better off. "
Aren't those things a parent should teach their children?

Kingfisher":jdmq88j1 said:
"A student graduating from high school has very little real life education. He knows nothing about how to handle money, get a job, present himself to people, or many other skills needed to be successful. A person getting a degree in college isn't much better off. "
That's why every kid should join the military straight out of highschool

dun":d6yx13uw said:
Kingfisher":d6yx13uw said:
Dun, I agree, I have always thought the same thing. Seems like there is a lack of discipline as a whole today.

Kingfisher, Sounds good, but the vast majority of parents don't know themselves so how can they teach it? Even if they know they don't. What I see being taught, by example, is how to keep up with the Joneses. Even the credit card people know this. The first thing kids get when they turn 18 is a letter saying "you have been aproved for XXX card."

novatech":2asqwtdv said:
dun":2asqwtdv said:
Kingfisher":2asqwtdv said:
Dun, I agree, I have always thought the same thing. Seems like there is a lack of discipline as a whole today.

Kingfisher, Sounds good, but the vast majority of parents don't know themselves so how can they teach it? Even if they know they don't. What I see being taught, by example, is how to keep up with the Joneses. Even the credit card people know this. The first thing kids get when they turn 18 is a letter saying "you have been aproved for XXX card."
BTW, I'm liberal with this idea. I think girls should have to join the military too.