School's

Help Support CattleToday:

They can learn is they want to learn...as one group says "From the learned tongue to the attentive ear". ;-)

The problem here is the black gangs :mad: have took over the school. The white kids can't learn anything for the fear of being beat up. It happens a couple of times a week and nothing is ever done about it, just gets swept under the rug.

hillbilly1234":1o9h7d04 said:
why do we need schools when ever thing could be done over the computer, and all these big schools why do they have to be so fancy?

Don't be suprised if it comes to that in the future. There are a few schools around here that are experimenting with it now for snow days.

Ryder":23g6rjk4 said:
Isomade":23g6rjk4 said:
Red Bull Breeder":23g6rjk4 said:
Keeping kids a learning is a parents job. Involved parents make better educated kids.
:clap: I couldn't agree more.

I'm sure no expert but I challenge this. I know two girls home schooled (not related) that went through three years of college and now in third year of a professional school. I see nothing lacking in their social skills whatsoever,

Know a family with three kids home schooled that are a real pleasure to be around. They are polite young gentlemen and very social. They are required as part of their educaton to have other interest. Church,music, martial arts, Boy Scouts, and cooking classes for one who wants to be a chef.

Don't know if you would call it home or private school now. The mother started with her kids, but the number has grown to twenty something. Kids she takes that are behind are soon testing out
above grade level. Kids that are disruptive and refuse to learn are not tolerated.
If I had school age children, I would want this for them.

Well, I will certainly concede that today things are different. When i was home schooled we weren't allowed to take part in extra curricular activities. Plus we were in a very rural area. I probably made it sound like that is the case for all home schooled children but I don't think that at all. Tim Tebo is certainly proof of that. The fact is that there are people who's kids will excel with home schooling, and some won't. Not because of the child but because of the effort of the teacher. I would be no where near what I turned out to be if it had not been for my mother. She was an excellent teacher.

farmwriter":2fa9tyc1 said:
I taught five years before I came back to the farm, and here's my 2 cents.
I always heard about how brilliant and advanced home-schooled children were, but the kids I had that had been home schooled were always WAY behind the curriculum and major slackers too. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but I never saw a single one.
I totally agree. I have several friends who have "homeschooled" tehir kids. I MOST cases they are behind not just academically but even moreso socially. The can deal with adults but are lost within their peer group.
The pressure to conform and join dues-collecting liberal teacher groups was incredible, especially while I was in college, and they did everything they could to make you feel like you were at great risk of being sued, fired, etc, but the "union" would protect you. I didn't care for that.
I also agree with you on this.
Lammie's comments about teaching to the important tests are a huge understatement in my opinion. It is ridiculous. As an intern, I sat in on public school classes that were remediation for kids who couldn't pass the gradution exam. Pathetic.
I believe in the separation of church and state, and I resented how little time there was left for teaching by the time we got through all the safety, state goal, and character issues that parents should have been teaching at home. I know there are a lot of kids falling through the cracks of sorry parenting, but I don't think it ought to hinder the education of children whose parents are involved. I don't know the magic answer for that one.
I also think a big problem is the lack of expulsions - or serious consequences in general. Telling a few more people that dangerous, disruptive, and flat out mean behavior means you forfeit being here might do a little more to curb some of the crap that goes on in schools.

This thread was never Home School vs Public Schools. I think the last thing we need to do is have a 'us' vs 'them' debate.

MONEY-you know that stuff the goverment is printing like crazy! Well in the comming yrs it will be devauled. Our Country will be in a world of hurt. It all filters down to the local level thus effecting everybodys budget.

I just think Schools (like farms in the 80's) will be going through a change. Change isn't always bad. Often it is the unknown that scares people.

The sky is not falling. I still believe this is a great nation.

I've got a 6 yr old in 1st. grade. She takes after her dad :roll: in School. She is a slow learner but is trying. I'm amazed how far ahead the kids are now than when I went to School. At least 2-3 yrs ahead.

I think it is when the kids are in Jr. & Sr. high things start to get shakey.

We are starting to share classes with another School in the High School level. It enable our kids with more classes, college level. There are some kids going out of this other School with 30 college Credits. Think of the $$$$ savings for the kids going to college.

regenwether":8hulh3p8 said:
We are starting to share classes with another School in the High School level. It enable our kids with more classes, college level. There are some kids going out of this other School with 30 college Credits. Think of the $$$$ savings for the kids going to college.

Kids are doing that in my area too. I'm skeptical of how much the two really equate though. I wonder if what they are learning is truly on par with what they would have learned in college.
I didn't think college was that much more difficult than HS, you just had a lot more material to cover and a lot less hand-holding to get it done. My concern is that they will go into sophomore/junior level classes because on paper they are ready for it, when in reality they may not be. I'll be interested to see how that continues over the next few years.

TexasBred":ma8oop3h said:
Black Coos":ma8oop3h said:
That is about half the problem will the School system, The start of private schools 30-40 years ago pulling the top 10 to 15 % of the Money people out, and the others that want to keep their kids from the real world. Thus the people that care or have the money and power to do something has little care with what is going on.. Thus a sorry school system....
My girls went to Catholic schools. I never considered us "money people" nor them smarter than any of the kids at the public school. It was just our choice. Kids can learn if they want to learn. Too many are not interested in education and their parents certainly are not. Don't forget those "money people" still pay public school taxes on those big estates even tho the kids don't use the schools. If I remember we paid $75 per month per child for the kids to attend Catholic school. I'm sure it's much more than that now. But it was worth every penny we spent. There probably is a money problem at most schools but most could also utilize the money better if they would.
Tex you are correct. Cost of Catholic school has increased. We registered my five year old Grand daughter yesterday. Cost $6000.00 for the first year of kindergarden. We still pay a hefty school tax aswell.

Tex you are correct. Cost of Catholic school has increased. We registered my five year old Grand daughter yesterday. Cost $6000.00 for the first year of kindergarden. We still pay a hefty school tax aswell.

My how times have changed. I did talk to my youngest daughter and it's now $200 a month per child so still very reasonable. HS is $750 a month with a discount if you have more than one child in school.

TexasBred":8y8hpowb said:

My how times have changed. I did talk to my youngest daughter and it's now $200 a month per child so still very reasonable. HS is $750 a month with a discount if you have more than one child in school.
Tex I guess different areas charge different amounts for school. Our break down was $750. registration fees, $450. monthly fees for ten months and proof that we have tithed a minimum of $750. per year. We have one child. Could fees be based on Catholic population?

I have no idea how they come up with it Kerley. Maybe I need to get me a appointment with the Bishop. :lol:

TexasBred":36xbb2yt said:
I have no idea how they come up with it Kerley. Maybe I need to get me a appointment with the Bishop. :lol:
Tex, That's a plan, please let me know.

For those who think homeschooled kids are all academically and socially inept - or that *most* are and you haven't met any who aren't - you've now met someone who doesn't fit your mold. I was homeschooled K-12, made it through undergrad in essentially 3 1/2 years, frequently taking 18+ credits per semester, working part-time, and keeping up with social activities (martial arts, equestrian team, dancing, volunteer/community activities, etc). 3.85 GPA when I applied to vet school this fall, interviewed at two schools and so far I've been accepted to two out-of-state schools and one in-state vet school. Kansas had about 1200 applicants for 65 spots and I made one of them.

The older of my younger brothers was homeschooled K-11th grade and he's currently in his second year at the Air Force Academy - and you don't get in there by being academically or socially incompetent.

I've met some socially inept homeschoolers - and after these years of college, I've also met a lot of socially awkward, lazy, public schooled kids too. There's good and bad in each bunch. Most homeschoolers with social skills don't mention that they were homeschooled - because it influences how people view us. If the first thing I tell people is that I was homeschooled, they watch me for a long time afterwards like they expect antennas to pop up at any second. Those of us that have any social skills prefer to keep it quiet - perhaps it's unfortunate, because Murphy's law dictates the only homeschooled people who volunteer the information give decent homeschoolers a bad name.

MM, congrats on your success! The only kids I ever knew that where home schooled were well a head of the public school kids, but did fine on a social level. Meaning their parents made sure they interacted with kids and activities that fit their age.

As far as Vet schools go, what about Texas A&M? we need another Aggie fan on the board! gig em!

Alan

Remember the good ole days when this post would have been locked at about the second or third post? :D Just having some fun remembering mods of old.

Alan

Murphy's law dictates the only homeschooled people who volunteer the information give decent homeschoolers a bad name

:lol2: :lol2: Not totally unlike the two or three backwoods bozos they pic for the TV interviews after some big disaster. :lol2:

TexasBred":34xasb5q said:
Murphy's law dictates the only homeschooled people who volunteer the information give decent homeschoolers a bad name

:lol2: :lol2: Not totally unlike the two or three backwoods bozos they pic for the TV interviews after some big disaster. :lol2:
Sometimes I wonder if those people are for real or if they're buffooning on purpose

Haven't a clue as to the merits or demerits of Home Schooling.

For me, I went 1 thru 12 in 10.5 years...didn't have pre-school in those days. Went to public school.

For my 3 university degrees, I went to State Supported, Land Grant institutions. Ended up with 3.75 GPA (4.0 system) for graduate degrees. Much cheaper, more "variety" in curricula.

That aside:

I think the basics of any K-12 education should include the "Three R's", plus the usual science, government, geography, stuff. Plus some kind of active sports to keep obesity under control ??

Then, some much needed "required" subject to even out the standard curricula. These would include for Males & Females:
  • 1. Consumer/business math.
    2. Learning arithmetic/math without using an electronic gadget.
    3. Health, Aids/HIV, and related sexually related activities.
    4. Consumer Credit & Credit Card Abuse.
    5. Banking accounts.
    6. Some street smarts, common sense awareness & skill.
    7. Surviving when the Electricity is Off: See also #2.
    8. Cooking & Housekeeping (males & females).
    9. Importance of a good balance between Academics & Athletics.
    10. Basic vehicle maintenance, including checking fluids and changing tires.
    11. Tool & equipment safety.
    12. MAP READING & survival when traveling.
    13. How to keep out of jail...

Then, all this aside:

Accept the fact that there is both an I.Q. and Social I.Q. range between 0 and 150 (for most part). One cannot fix stupid. One cannot raise an I.Q. that is an average 100 very much. I.Q. is both genetic and education/training based. An I.Q. number is not a SIN. It is a relative point on the human knowledge/skill/abilities scale. Educational, social, environmental, genetic deprivation are also factors in one's ultimate life and success/failure. Then, there is MOTIVATION. Also accept the fact that not all prople are "College Material"...we need technical & trades people. Success is not what you choose, but what you do with what you have. We see these issues every day with those around us.

JMO as a former College Professor, Behavioral Psychologist, Contractor, and Livestock rancher. I've worked with, taught, and supervised all kinds.

Success is not 100% guaranted with formal education degrees. Consider some of the most successful and wealthiest people in the USA. The high school dropout or high school graduate CAN be highly successful...but it's a rare event...

First, milkmaid way to go. I don't think very many dropouts, or people with just a high school education had much parental supervision. I hated school, but I was blessed that my parents taught me how to work, an be mechanically inclined. With hard work and some common sense anyone can do well in the U.S.A.