schedule 40 pvc hay rings

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":p7zbokyf said:
jerry27150":p7zbokyf said:
preston, the ones i have seen look to be about 4 inch black plastic. they made a drinking bucket years ago out of plastic,claimed you could take a 20 lb maul & hit them & never bother them. so i have no doubt these would be almost as rugged

I was told by a company that makes them that the 4 inch black stuff was gasline pipe. Wonder if it's the same stuff.

dun

Does anyone know the name of this company? I'd like to check into it. I've seen a couple like this out in pastures and assumed they were homemade.

Farmhand":1vyzb1qf said:
I was talking to hubby about this and he also says he has heard of pvc hay rings. They're schedule 80. I just shook my head. I just can't imagine them being any good. Maybe I'm wrong but I know what our cattle can do to a ring and they're pretty docile. Can't imagine pvc holding up.

I bought one of the black pvc hay ring last winter . Cows didn't hurt it at all . It was easy to move by hand or the tractor. I paid $170.00 for it .

Well now, maybe I'll have to check into these. Gotta do it when hubby ain't lookin' though. Can't go around lettin' him think he was right. ;-) It can get down right unbareble when that happens. :D

WORANCH":30dpure3 said:
Farmhand":30dpure3 said:
I was talking to hubby about this and he also says he has heard of pvc hay rings. They're schedule 80. I just shook my head. I just can't imagine them being any good. Maybe I'm wrong but I know what our cattle can do to a ring and they're pretty docile. Can't imagine pvc holding up.

I bought one of the black pvc hay ring last winter . Cows didn't hurt it at all . It was easy to move by hand or the tractor. I paid $170.00 for it .
========
Woranch,

Where did you get it from? TS or a local feed store? Know the name of the manufacturer?
Appreciate the info..thanks.

Farmhand":3bpzfg0x said:
Well now, maybe I'll have to check into these. Gotta do it when hubby ain't lookin' though. Can't go around lettin' him think he was right. ;-) It can get down right unbareble when that happens. :D
farmhand....now...now! :oops: :roll:

dun":4i11x9ag said:
jerry27150":4i11x9ag said:
preston, the ones i have seen look to be about 4 inch black plastic. they made a drinking bucket years ago out of plastic,claimed you could take a 20 lb maul & hit them & never bother them. so i have no doubt these would be almost as rugged

I was told by a company that makes them that the 4 inch black stuff was gasline pipe. Wonder if it's the same stuff.

dun
=====
dun,
Is the material you speak of..rigid or flexible?...or would you have a way to know?

preston39":2mflriu4 said:
WORANCH":2mflriu4 said:
Farmhand":2mflriu4 said:

========
Woranch,

Where did you get it from? TS or a local feed store? Know the name of the manufacturer?
Appreciate the info..thanks.

Try this site

http://jordancattle.com/trailers/round_ ... eders.html

Those polyethylene are a lot better than the pvc ones. Polyethylene doesn't get as brittle or sun danaged as the PVC. The only pvc ones I have saw were homemade.

Bama":1lkzgiml said:
Those polyethylene are a lot better than the pvc ones. Polyethylene doesn't get as brittle or sun danaged as the PVC. The only pvc ones I have saw were homemade.
==========

bama,
any idea how long the ones you have seen ...have been in the sun? I like the one woranch posted the site on. What does it look like to you?...I've asked for details from co...will post them upon receipt.

The ones I saw were made from 1 1/2"pvc pipe formed into a circle with tees ever so often for vertical bars. They were in the sunlight for only 1 summer and when the hay would get smaller the cows would push against it and they snapped at the fittings. Fittings actually cracked.

Running Arrow Bill":3f78d8dx said:
Am I missing something here??

"Which is stronger?" [ ] PVC [ ] Steel [ ] Not Sure

Just my 2 cents worth, If you buy good quality, Heavy Duty "S" Bar Steel hay rings, and store them properly, they'll last many years.They'll provide years of service if you place them on their sides after hay feeding is over. Worst comes to worst, you can dust em' with Zinc Chromate Primer, if they start to get surface rust. My opinion is the ones made of square tubing are inferior. They seem to split at the seams, and moisture gets in em' and they are shot.PVC is good for moving water. That's about it.If it's exposed the UV rays of the sun will do it in.Polyethelene and PVC are to very different things.

Bama":1lstwd68 said:
The ones I saw were made from 1 1/2"pvc pipe formed into a circle with tees ever so often for vertical bars. They were in the sunlight for only 1 summer and when the hay would get smaller the cows would push against it and they snapped at the fittings. Fittings actually cracked.
=
That won't work...will it!!!! :oops:

Crowderfarms":1krsq6cx said:
Running Arrow Bill":1krsq6cx said:
Am I missing something here??

"Which is stronger?" [ ] PVC [ ] Steel [ ] Not Sure

Just my 2 cents worth, If you buy good quality, Heavy Duty "S" Bar Steel hay rings, and store them properly, they'll last many years.They'll provide years of service if you place them on their sides after hay feeding is over. Worst comes to worst, you can dust em' with Zinc Chromate Primer, if they start to get surface rust. My opinion is the ones made of square tubing are inferior. They seem to split at the seams, and moisture gets in em' and they are shot.PVC is good for moving water. That's about it.If it's exposed the UV rays of the sun will do it in.Polyethelene and PVC are to very different things.

Yes. My "3 choice question" was posted in jest. ;-) We use heavy duty steel horse type hay rings for our Longhorns with much success.

Some technical info in...more coming;

=========
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 8:24 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: pvc hay rings

I am exploring the aspects of producing a PVC type hay ring. I visualize using 2" schedule 40/80 thick wall.... to create a round/pentagon design to fit over a round bale of hay. The metal doesn't hold up well..given the acidic environment produced during the feeding process.

Is PVC durable sitting out in the sun? Or will it deteriorate rapidly?

What would the life be?

Any thoughts/suggestions for the plan?

Is there a 45 degree.....4 way cross connector available..to connect 3' pieces together?

Many thanks for your help.

Preston"

"Preston,

In above ground applications where PVC or CPVC system components are directly exposed to the ultra-violet radiation of the sun, some degradation of the material may occur. While the effects over a long period of time are negligible in terms of the performance of the product, a discoloration and slight lessening of impact resistance in the area of direct exposure does occur. This can be a problem as far as visual acceptance is concerned. To offset this situation, the practice of painting the PVC and CPVC components is recommended using a light colored or reflexive water-based latex or acrylic paint which will protect the material from the effects of ultra-violet rays.

On your 4 way cross with 45 degree laterals, I believe your talking about our double wyes. Spears does fabricate that fitting. Give me a call and I'll sent you a drawing.

George Drenth
Tech Services Rep
1-800-662-6330 "
================

PVC Schedule 40, especially Schedule 80 may work for a while if not in direct sunlight or cattle are not "pushy" feeders.

The Schedule 40 UL Listed gray colored PVC (sunlight exposure electrical conduit use) is considerably more sunlight resistant.

There are 4-Way (aka "Cross") fittings as well as 45 deg fittings. Could also use some 22.5 deg fittings in Galvanized or Schedule 80 PVC I think??

Spears is one manufacturer. Another "professional grade" fitting manufacturer is "Lasco". There are others out there too. Just make sure you do not buy any of those "mfg. seconds" or "off brands" (aftermarket, foreign made) fittings that may or may not hold up or the inside fitting dimensions may not be exact to USA pipe specifications.

For sturdiness, I would go with at least 2" dia. PVC, preferably Schedule 80 if using the "white" PVC water pipe.

Word of wisdom...lol:

Remember that even a 100 lb calf is a "Turbo-charged, steroid enhanced, weight lifting, kickboxing, 4 WD grass-eating animal." Consider what one could do to a PVC hay ring if it hit the ring at 10-20 MPH ;-)

Running Arrow Bill":3vi9up4l said:
Word of wisdom...lol:

Remember that even a 100 lb calf is a "Turbo-charged, steroid enhanced, weight lifting, kickboxing, 4 WD grass-eating animal." Consider what one could do to a PVC hay ring if it hit the ring at 10-20 MPH ;-)

round_bale_feeder.jpg

This Polyethylene pipe hay ring held up to my cattle pushing on it . I'm going to order 2 more this year.

WORANCH,

I got the web site you posted...thanks....I like that one. Probably gonna try some.

We replace 4-5 of the metal bunch...each season. Enough already.

Latest posts