Scared Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

brvanhouten

Reaction score
Just got 2 steer about 400lbs each. This is my first livestock experience! (besides chickens). I want to know the best way to tame them. They want nothing to do with me and wont let me near. I almost got kicked yesterday as I tried to approach them. I have to admit i am a little scared now! :shock: I would like to be able to put a lead on them and brush/pet them. Is this possible and how? I have had them for one week now. Any advise would be great!

Bring them treats like cubes or something. Once they get used to you they might ease up some but keep in mind they are not pets and they may never let you near them. I've got one that likes to be scratched but I have several that would be tickled pink to have the opportunity to smear me into a big spot on the ground.

Why do you want to halter them, are you showing them ? Like Jo said spoil them with treats , and spend time with them, even if it is sitting in a chair in their pasture reading to them so they get used to you being around. Also wear something familiar to them everyday like a jacket.

introduce them to alfalfa hay, they'll be eating out of your hand in no time...........forget about the halter

It will take a bit of time, but I'd start with a little grain in a pan. Just put it down and they'll come investigate. Stand nearby (but out of their flight range) so they get used to seeing you and associate you with the goodies.

If you have some corral panels or a pen, get them used to coming in there for their grain. Give them a flake of hay there also. I wouldn't lock them in there initially. After they're comfortable with this routine (keep it consistent as long as needed), you can shut the gate while they eat. Then open it to let them out. No sudden movements, no loud noises.

It will take time, but they'll soon start to sniff your hand (them inside pen, you outside). Move very slowly and quietly. Talk to them. Sooner or later, they'll be willing to take a treat from your hand and that's a big step for them.

If you're going to eventually butcher these guys, you will feel bad having made friends with them and it's best not to name them. If you keep them as pets, you'll progress to touching them with your hands, then brushing them, etc. I'm sure there are faster ways to do this, but I prefer the slow method (I don't move as quickly as I used to). Having "tame" cattle makes it far easier to apply fly stuff and pour-on dewormers. The ones that are halter broken don't forget what they've learned even if it's a few years since they learned. All the same, be careful and don't get injured; they're bigger and stronger than you are and can kick in all directions (even some calves).

It must be difficult not to treat cattle like pets at times when they finally calm down and get friendly to interactions with us. But I am taking that lesson away that don't think of them as pets, not even dangerous pets.

Goodlife":3tabij22 said:
It must be difficult not to treat cattle like pets at times when they finally calm down and get friendly to interactions with us.

It is not difficult for me at all. I've been around them all my life tho.

I don't want any wild eyed crazy cows. They are the first to go. One crazy cow can stir up a whole herd.

If you want to really tick me off, walk up to one of mine and scratch it on the ear! :mad:

backhoeboogie":2mf6jjom said:
Goodlife":2mf6jjom said:
It must be difficult not to treat cattle like pets at times when they finally calm down and get friendly to interactions with us.

If you want to really tick me off, walk up to one of mine and scratch it on the ear! :mad:

Understood. But I raise prospective "family milk cows" that need to be user friendly and accustomed to being handled, brushed, led, etc. -- VERY different from commercial beef animals.

Gale Seddon":25xfrvbc said:
backhoeboogie":25xfrvbc said:
Goodlife":25xfrvbc said:

Understood. But I raise prospective "family milk cows" that need to be user friendly and accustomed to being handled, brushed, led, etc. -- VERY different from commercial beef animals.

I've got a nurse cow that has to be milked from time to time for one reason or another. For instance when I strip colostrums. My head goes into her flank while I am milking. Her head is in the feed bucket. I have to touch bull calves when they are converted to steers too. Change out ear tags on the whole herd twice a year. Innoculate and worm them with injections preferably. Hence, mine get "handled" too.

I stand and talk to mine every night when i feed. takes about 6-7 mo. to be able to feed by hand, have some that will let you pet them
(one is my heard bull) his daddy was the same way, have others that dont want a thing to do with me. you can never tell, but keep a eye on them as thay can turn on you in a minet. roger(iowa52)

like i said, alfalfa works magic, i'm loading a herd bull (tear'in up the corral type) on friday using alfalfa; works every time...........my grandson taught me that!

Walk with them real late in the evening, just before dark. Something about the low light conditions or maybe just the end of the day that seems to calm them down some what. I go out and just sit on the ground around them and let them come up and smell you. They will start to trust you and it makes them easier to work next time they go through the pens. Some of my best cows are somewhat flighty but I just leave them be. They even calm down after a while once they see the others getting up close to you.

Latest posts