SCALES

Help Support CattleToday:

newrancher

Reaction score
How many of you have scales? Im thinking they would be really usefull for me. One of the advertisers has them for $599, does anyone know anything about them? Would I have to pour concrete for them to sit on ? Any advice appreciated.

our scales is probably the best money we've spent in the last 10 years. You can't manage what you can't measure. for a stationary set you would need concrete.

newrancher":2mc0wwe1 said:
How many of you have scales? Im thinking they would be really usefull for me. One of the advertisers has them for $599, does anyone know anything about them? Would I have to pour concrete for them to sit on ? Any advice appreciated.

I would recommend them (B&B scales) in a heartbeat - custom made for your application. I actually bought a set from them but returned it because the chute I ended up getting had scales attached. They gave me a 100% no questions refund even after bending over backwards to get me what I needed. Great people.

Les Hirsch
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

newrancher":3207t0st said:

I agree with the usefulness of having scales - I weigh mine every time they go thru the alley. However I question whether or not you can purchase a brand new quality scale system with catwalk/trough, strain gage load bars and a reliable monitor for $599. I don't know what brand you are looking at but those load bars each have several very high quality strain gages and bridges in them, sealed from weather and 2000 lb bulls with lots of stainless steel and aluminum... Unless this is a closeout or something I would stick with a name brand, especially in this type of product.

Suggest you talk to someone (a user, not salesman) in your climate who has used exactly the same setup for a number of years and see what their experience has been. If you can't find someone who has been using exactly this same system offered at 599 I think I would look at a more proven one. jmho.

This is the system that I use. I did not buy it from these folks but the system is simple for a small operation (I keep a clip board to record weights and eartags), works well and is durable. It zeros nicely between animals. steers etc don't exactly stand still when they're in the alley so you can weigh them. This system has a way of stabilizing quickly so you can move then thru.

http://tru-test-livestock-scale.goscales.com/

The top system on the page with the aluminum catwalk which fits under the alleyway. I did not want to pour concrete for the scale so I set two small sections of chainsawed RR tie, one under each load bar, to keep them on a reasonably firm flat (use a board and bubble level to get them in plane) surface and out of the mud a bit.

Thanks for the replies, probably not going to get a set before spring, gotta build another barn first. That gives me some time for some more research. I dont need a fancy [expensive] set, but do want something reliable and durable. B&B looks pretty good right now, anytime a company treats people well they get extra consideration from me.

Latest posts