• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Saurkraut

terra8186

Reaction score
I started making some saurkraut 3 weeks ago. I have it stored in the basement in a 5 gallon bucket. I hope it turns out good. I have some more cabbage planted for a later batch. Anyone tried doing this. I just read Jogeephus sauerruben post - I might try that next year.

I just took the cover off and skimmed off the top. I thought I will never eat this, it smelled disgusting. Then I dug down a little deeper and it looked and smelled good.

Jogeephus

Reaction score
My daddy used to do this all the time. He kept a barrel in the barn and it was always full. You are right, it does look pretty nasty on top but it turns out good. Wonder who "invented" the stuff. Must have been either a brave soul or one hungry fella.

mnmtranching

Reaction score
Oh yeah! my Mother is second generation German. Always put up and still does saurkraut. Uses a crock about 30-40 gallons I guess. Shreds it, packs it, using salt. To much I think? :cry2:
I like some, never got into it as much as others. :roll:

CKC1586

Reaction score
mnmtranching":1p1u3kjx said:
Oh yeah! my Mother is second generation German. Always put up and still does saurkraut. Uses a crock about 30-40 gallons I guess. Shreds it, packs it, using salt. To much I think? :cry2:
I like some, never got into it as much as others. :roll:
Yup, my great Grandma used to make it every year, she used crocks and I have one of her crocks! What a treasure!

ANAZAZI

Reaction score
I like sauerkraut (surkål in swedish) but I do not know how to make it.

alisonb

Reaction score
I read that it is an excellent cure for a hangover,never tried it myself though. The article never did say if one should smell it or eat it. :lol2:

1982vett

Reaction score
Not really, Mom had one where she packed the cut cabbage in mason jars, poured in a brine and sealed.

No smell to this one unless you have one that doesn't seal or blows up. :p

Susie David

Reaction score
Fall cabage is sweter and makes a better saurkraut. Just make sure to keep the air out...use a plate or other similar device just a little smaller than the krock and use food grade plastic over the kraut and float the plate on top. Works well for us. Dmc

HerefordSire

Reaction score
Word on the street is it goes good with dumplings. Then when you have leftover dumplings because everyone ate all the kraut, mix scambled eggs with the dumplings. Pretty good eating.