Saurkraut

Help Support CattleToday:

terra8186

Reaction score
I started making some saurkraut 3 weeks ago. I have it stored in the basement in a 5 gallon bucket. I hope it turns out good. I have some more cabbage planted for a later batch. Anyone tried doing this. I just read Jogeephus sauerruben post - I might try that next year.

I just took the cover off and skimmed off the top. I thought I will never eat this, it smelled disgusting. Then I dug down a little deeper and it looked and smelled good.

My daddy used to do this all the time. He kept a barrel in the barn and it was always full. You are right, it does look pretty nasty on top but it turns out good. Wonder who "invented" the stuff. Must have been either a brave soul or one hungry fella.

Oh yeah! my Mother is second generation German. Always put up and still does saurkraut. Uses a crock about 30-40 gallons I guess. Shreds it, packs it, using salt. To much I think? :cry2:
I like some, never got into it as much as others. :roll:

mnmtranching":1p1u3kjx said:
Oh yeah! my Mother is second generation German. Always put up and still does saurkraut. Uses a crock about 30-40 gallons I guess. Shreds it, packs it, using salt. To much I think? :cry2:
I like some, never got into it as much as others. :roll:
Yup, my great Grandma used to make it every year, she used crocks and I have one of her crocks! What a treasure!

I read that it is an excellent cure for a hangover,never tried it myself though. The article never did say if one should smell it or eat it. :lol2:

I like sauerkraut (surkål in swedish) but I do not know how to make it.

Here is the recipe I used.

http://www.wildfermentation.com/resourc ... sauerkraut

I think that all of the recipes are the same: Cut Cabbage, Salt Cabbage, Mash Cabbage, Submerge Cabbage, and Let sit for 4-6 weeks.

My basement stunk for 3-4 days in the 2nd week, but it is not bad now.

Not really, Mom had one where she packed the cut cabbage in mason jars, poured in a brine and sealed.

No smell to this one unless you have one that doesn't seal or blows up. :p

Fall cabage is sweter and makes a better saurkraut. Just make sure to keep the air out...use a plate or other similar device just a little smaller than the krock and use food grade plastic over the kraut and float the plate on top. Works well for us. Dmc

Word on the street is it goes good with dumplings. Then when you have leftover dumplings because everyone ate all the kraut, mix scambled eggs with the dumplings. Pretty good eating.