Sauces

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Anyone know how to make sauces such as what is used in the boxes of hamburger helper? I like the hamburger helper scalloped potatoes and the noodles type. Just wondering if you could economically make the sauce in the home rather than buying it. Noodles are so cheap - if I could only make the sauce. Thanks in advance.

Looks like we have no saucy folks around. :lol: Haven't use Hamburger Helper in decades. To easy to cook the macaroni and add stuff to it like sauteed broccoli, cauliflower, green peas, carrots, squash, zucchini, chicken, beef, sausage. Things you like and leave out the things you don't, just have to use your imagination.

My trick to potatoes nowadays is to "bake" them in the microwave. I put a plate full, 5-6 medium size potatoes on a plate and microwave on high for about 6 minutes. Let them rest for 3-4 and then go another 4-6 to finish cooking. I like using the red taters, less starch. Store them in ziplock containers in the refrigerator and use as wanted.

Take em and slice, dice, or mash however you want. Your choice of utter, onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, green pepper, mushrooms, jalapeno pepper. Get em going in a fry pan (casserole dish in the microwave works too but you can't get em with that crispy side on them.) When you get em like you might like em I add some Tones Cajun Seasoning (get it from Sam's Wholesale). Then you can add your favorite bake tater type toppings, cheese, chives, sour cream.

For the ground meat, brown in a pan with whatever you like. Salt, pepper, green pepper, onion, garlic, mushroom, tomatoes - fresh, canned, rotel, any of the seasoned varieties and again I use the Tones Cajun Seasoning to season.
Taters on a plate or bowl and top with the ground meat concoction.

Also you could go to the seasoning aisle, they have all kinds of premixed seasonings for different dishes. Use your own pasta, meat and the seasoning mixes. I don't use many but some I do are the taco seasonings and some of the Chinese season mixes.

I'll try some of your suggestions. I've been looking for a recipe I got from somebody for a sauce for scalloped potatoes. Can't find it yet but it was easy to make and was as good as any store bought mix. Just got me to wondering if the other types of sauces would be as easy to make. I bet they are if I only knew how.

Jogeephus":1m7c2jtb said:
Anyone know how to make sauces such as what is used in the boxes of hamburger helper? I like the hamburger helper scalloped potatoes and the noodles type. Just wondering if you could economically make the sauce in the home rather than buying it. Noodles are so cheap - if I could only make the sauce. Thanks in advance.
Okay I will give this a shot. I am not sure what kind of sauce for your escalloped taters you are looking for but I suspect it is a white sauce.... so, put some butter about 1/4 stick in a sauce pan and let it melt, add some flour, about 1/4 cup and let in brown slightly use a fork or a whisk and keep it moving...then start adding milk slowly, very slowly until you get the quantity and consistency you like. Add salt and pepper and if you want a nice cheesy alfreado add some parmeson cheese, or if you want to put it over maccaroni add some nice sharp shredded cheddar cheese.

Jo - try this for your potato dish:

1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 stick cream cheese
onion and celery salt to taste

top with lawrys season salt.

This is great!

CKC1586":ytwfh4q1 said:
Jogeephus":ytwfh4q1 said:
Okay I will give this a shot. I am not sure what kind of sauce for your escalloped taters you are looking for but I suspect it is a white sauce.... so, put some butter about 1/4 stick in a sauce pan and let it melt, add some flour, about 1/4 cup and let in brown slightly use a fork or a whisk and keep it moving...then start adding milk slowly, very slowly until you get the quantity and consistency you like. Add salt and pepper and if you want a nice cheesy alfreado add some parmeson cheese, or if you want to put it over maccaroni add some nice sharp shredded cheddar cheese.

Thanks. That is very much like the recipe I used before. I remember it was easy to make and it was good. I am the kind of person that has to take things apart to see how they work. So this recipe got me to thinking if they can make a powder that mixes with milk and water then these powdered sauces must be very similar to this only evaporated. Therefore, there must be a way to make the other sauces at home too with some minor tweeking of the base recipe.

Grannysoo, that recipe looks good and I think I'll try that with some of those Italian burgers that were posted. My wife is going to love the addition of this topic to the forum.

Latest posts