Sauce made from intestinal juices

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
I had quite possibly the best meal of my life on Saturday. A good friend of mine introduced me to some older Laotion gentlemen a few weeks ago who were looking for some 800-1000 lb. steers/heifers to butcher so they came out to my place and picked a steer out and paid me a more than fair price and the deal was I shot the steer in the field and hung it from my loader and they took care of the rest. Fast forward 3 weeks later (last Saturday) and they were on the 3rd steer with 3 more to go at least, and this time after they had the steer skinned, out came the grill and a basket with sticky white rice and a container an old man told me he had made from the last steer, I took a clump of the rice and dipped it in the sauce (kind of looked like manure to be honest) and am here to tell you it was AMAZING. Spicy, bitter and the best flavor I think I've ever tasted, did I mention spicy? WOW! They cut a large section of the brisket out and grilled it with some special spices they brought and it was incredible. The one younger guy I could kind of understand told me the sauce was made from the intestinal juices of the steer and I believe him because these guys take literally EVERYTHING from the animal. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this type of intestinal sauce because I googled it and couldn't find anything.

I'll try about anything once but I just don't think I could do that unless I saw exactly what they were doing. Last night I watched Andrew Zimmerman on Bizarre Foods eat some of a fresh cow placenta. I just don't think you could pay me enough for this. He said it was good though.

ohiosteve":1nccvf96 said:
I had quite possibly the best meal of my life on Saturday. A good friend of mine introduced me to some older Laotion gentlemen a few weeks ago who were looking for some 800-1000 lb. steers/heifers to butcher so they came out to my place and picked a steer out and paid me a more than fair price and the deal was I shot the steer in the field and hung it from my loader and they took care of the rest. Fast forward 3 weeks later (last Saturday) and they were on the 3rd steer with 3 more to go at least, and this time after they had the steer skinned, out came the grill and a basket with sticky white rice and a container an old man told me he had made from the last steer, I took a clump of the rice and dipped it in the sauce (kind of looked like manure to be honest) and am here to tell you it was AMAZING. Spicy, bitter and the best flavor I think I've ever tasted, did I mention spicy? WOW! They cut a large section of the brisket out and grilled it with some special spices they brought and it was incredible. The one younger guy I could kind of understand told me the sauce was made from the intestinal juices of the steer and I believe him because these guys take literally EVERYTHING from the animal. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this type of intestinal sauce because I googled it and couldn't find anything.

Well, I would be interested in hearing what this stuff is.

As a side note - if someone kills an animal on this farm for their consumption - not mine - and they take it off the farm to eat - meaning I sold them an animal and they plan to kill on farm and consume off farm as un-inspected meat - I am penalized with possible jail and guaranteed fines of many thousands of dollars.

While I suspect it may not be the same in your part of the world best beware of local, regional, state and federal laws on "on farm kill for PUBLIC consumption" - they tend to change with little or no notice. One of the hazards of living in "lefty heaven" and having the nanny state look after you - even when you do not want their help.

Just sayin'.

Can you find out what this stuff is at least called?

Best to you

Bez

No man TB, they have to be left on to swat the flies. You will be surprised that there are many SA's that won't eat oxtail either.

Well we did another steer on Saturday and I found out the sauce is called "Bi", sounds like bee. The language barrier is frustrating, but from what I could understand there are many variations of the sauce but the main ingredient is the intestinal juices from the gallbladder. They brought two different types one was hot peppers and the juice and the other also had chopped cilantro. Both were very spicy and very delicious. We grilled up some of the brisket and they brought some steamed sticky rice and the combination of flavors was incredible.

I really like these guys, they obviously come from a place where food is not wasted and is truly appreciated. When I asked the older guy where the juice for the Bi comes from he cut the gallbladder right off the liver and stabbed it with his knife and poured some into a bowl and then cut a chunk of raw liver and dipped it into the juice and ate it! He loved it, then went right back to cutting and singing all the while. He told me next week he'd bring me some really good stuff, should be interesting.
Bez, I hope I'm not doing anything illegal, as far as I'm aware it is legal for me to sell a live steer to someone and they can do with it as they please. I could be wrong but I hope not as I really like the way this deal has been working out.

Some people will eat anything... Like those "survivor" programs (e.g., Naked Survivor, etc.) My idea of eating anything and/or surviving is to never put myself in a situation where I have to eat weird food, raw or cooked.

Running Arrow Bill":1tz7o1ai said:
Some people will eat anything... Like those "survivor" programs (e.g., Naked Survivor, etc.) My idea of eating anything and/or surviving is to never put myself in a situation where I have to eat weird food, raw or cooked.

Ahhh come on Bill. The Comanche's out your way use to could suck a dead horse dry and keep on going. :lol2:

It looks like what you had is a variation of Jeow Ba Dek, the mother sauce. In case someone feels the need to make it:

For every Lao and Thai traditional meal, there must be a dipping sauce, also known as 'jeow'. This jeow ba dek is the most traditional and that is why I call it the Lao National Dipping Sauce.

Other versions of this traditional Thai and Lao dipping sauce:
For 'jeow ga be' use shrimp paste instead of salted gourami fish
For 'jeow ga boo' use crab paste instead of salted gourami fish
For 'jeow bee' add 1 tablespoon of gall bladder and mix with any dipping sauces to give the sauce a bitter flavour

Jeow Ba Dek
½ teaspoon chopped lemongrass
½ teaspoon chopped galangal
½ teaspoon chopped garlic
1 chopped kaffer lime leaf
2 tablespoons chopped or minced salted gourami fish (ba dek)
1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
3 tablespoons lime juice

In a Thai / Lao Mortar & Pestle Set pound lemongrass, galangal, garlic, and lime leaf until smooth. Add minced salted gourami fish and squeezed lime. Mix and serve with sticky rice and jasmine rice

http://foods-recipes-tutorial.blogspot. ... sauce.html

I have to wonder how that even got found out it was good. Sort of like " hmmm, I wonder what's inside this oyster. Looks ugly as ****, I'll put it in my mouth"

I'd probably try that sauce once though.

Since we are on the subject of exotic foods, and the holiday meals are just around the corner...............
A Balut. I had this explained to me, by a member of the indigenous population of the P.I. and was informed that the proper way to create one was to bury the fertilized and partially incubated duck egg in soil until it "fermented" --about 3 weeks, and then drink the heavenly liquer. It seems the modern generation has changed the procedure up a bit. (no, I did NOT partake of this delicacy) Smelled like death warmed over and looked just as bad.
For your culinary pleasure:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)

Balut.jpg

http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Balut

Latest posts