Saturday morning in a small town

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Our town is not what I would call real small but definitely not a big city.
My went into town this morning and said guess what I saw in the Dairy Queen drive thru? Knowing what our Main Street has become in recent years my top three guesses were in no particular or possibly a combination of two or all three, drug head, hooker, hobo. Then I thought well those are so common here it's not really newsworthy. I though maybe it was like the time we saw a coyote walking down beside the Wendy's drive thru right at daylight one morning, of course coyotes are common too.
Turns out she saw an elderly couple in a golf cart at the drive thru. She said it made her laugh and think only in a small town. Kind of reminds me of a while back I saw a tractor sitting in the drive thru at a liquor store down town.

Golf carts and old folks anywhere are standard issue in a lot of Florida.

I don't see golf carts but quads and side by sides are fairly common. Here in my small town they are standard issue. The one I keep telling my wife I want to catch and get a picture of is 300 mamma cows walking down the road right past the hospital, several big churches, a housing development, and up over the freeway. They are accompanied by half a dozen cowboys and 3 or 4 dogs.

It's a big town if you have a Dairy Queen. We have to drive 1&1/2 hrs to get to any fast food chain or a stoplight. I took my daughter to supper at the local hotel in the tractor one time. We had chores and stopped on our way home 😆.
Wow. Where I'm from, people think
I live in the middle of nowhere, but I'm 15 minutes from a couple fast food places, groceries, etc.

How close are you to a hospital, school, and police dept?

I live in the middle of nowhere, but I'm 15 minutes from a couple fast food places, groceries, etc.

All of the above within 3 miles. I'm only a couple miles from town and even though it's small (about 600 people) we have a lot of services because it's kind of the hub for about 5000 people in the surrounding area. 2 grocery stores and about 6 restaurants in town - I forgot we have a Subway (in one of the gas stations) so maybe that counts as fast food but we don't have any of the bigger chains with a drive thu.

It's a big town if you have a Dairy Queen. We have to drive 1&1/2 hrs to get to any fast food chain or a stoplight. I took my daughter to supper at the local hotel in the tractor one time. We had chores and stopped on our way home 😆.
I'm thinking that that is not fast food!

We have a post office where the counter is only open from 8:00 am to 10:00 am. Here it is 55 miles to the east to anything, although there is everything once you get there. 30 miles to the west. Get there and there is a DQ and McDonald's and 3 other fast food. To the north..... You better have a full tank of gas and the better part of the day to get there. To the south you better find one of those small way stops that has gas or be packing some extra. Going straight north or south not going to the east or west towns and going from there you will be driving a lot of dirt or gravel road. It would be best to have 4 wheel drive and the roads are not all accessible year round.

Last edited:
We have a post office where the counter is only open from 8:00 am to 10:00 am. Here it is 55 miles to the east to anything, although there is everything once you get there. 30 miles to the west. Get there and there is a DQ and McDonald's and 3 other fast food. To the north..... You better have a full tank of gas and the better part of the day to get there. To the south you better find one of those small way stops that has gas or be packing some extra.
Mr. FH would LOVE that! What is it Gcreek says "I love my fellow man the best when he is scattered some"...or something like that.

It is 34 miles to the hospital, 33 to schools, about 34 to the Sheriff office, and there is no fire protection here.

Is that Winchester you are talking about, if so nice town.

This is our town, nothing left even the tattoo parlor left. You can see end to end and this is during rush hour. If a dog runs across the street can get exciting. A few years ago you could not find a parking place and the town was full of people.

Rose-Hill-Town.jpg

Last edited:

This is our town, nothing left even the tattoo parlor left. You can see end to end.

Rose-Hill-Town.jpg
Yes, it's Winchester. It's changed a lot over the years. Used to really be and have a small farm community feel. Being so close to the big city of Lexington, we have kind of become a bedroom community of it but not as much as a couple other counties that border it. We've lost a lot of agricultural businesses, for most things we have to go to Mt. Sterling or some other place. We do still thankfully have an independent feed store where I get bulk feed from and we have a Southern States Co op within about 3 miles that's real handy. The only tractor dealership in our county now is Rural King, I figure I don't have enough money to play around with those things.

Yes, it's Winchester. It's changed a lot over the years. Used to really be and have a small farm community feel. Being so close to the big city of Lexington, we have kind of become a bedroom community of it but not as much as a couple other counties that border it. We've lost a lot of agricultural businesses, for most things we have to go to Mt. Sterling or some other place. We do still thankfully have an independent feed store where I get bulk feed from and we have a Southern States Co op within about 3 miles that's real handy. The only tractor dealership in our county now is Rural King, I figure I don't have enough money to play around with those things.
A local guys two daughters went to teach school there, I believe both are math teachers and had their choice. The father and mother liked it so well visiting they sold out here and went there.

A local guys two daughters went to teach school there, I believe both are math teachers and had their choice. The father and mother liked it so well visiting they sold out here and went there.
Overall all things considered it's probably a pretty good place to live in comparison. I reckon it's just that I've lived here long enough to see a lot of change, and over time come to see the warts so to speak.

This is our town, nothing left even the tattoo parlor left. You can see end to end and this is during rush hour. If a dog runs across the street can get exciting. A few years ago you could not find a parking place and the town was full of people.

Rose-Hill-Town.jpg
So, what happened to everybody? Did the silver run out?

Latest posts