Satellite Internet

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I know it's been cussed and discussed, does anyone have it and what carrier do they use? Goods and bads

Thanks

don't even consider hughesnet... Verizon has a new satellite type system and its great fast no buffering of YouTube videos. my contract is up in February and that's what I'mgoing too then.

skyhightree1":2gczonk0 said:
don't even consider hughesnet... Verizon has a new satellite type system and its great fast no buffering of YouTube videos. my contract is up in February and that's what I'm going too then.
You might want to check verizon prices. For us it was going to be 275 bucks a month. That's why I'm looking elsewhere. Neighbor has wildblue and he really likes it and it's 4 times faster then the DSL we have through centurylink.

dun":24jnvffb said:
skyhightree1":24jnvffb said:
don't even consider hughesnet... Verizon has a new satellite type system and its great fast no buffering of YouTube videos. my contract is up in February and that's what I'm going too then.
You might want to check verizon prices. For us it was going to be 275 bucks a month. That's why I'm looking elsewhere. Neighbor has wildblue and he really likes it and it's 4 times faster then the DSL we have through centurylink.

Are you referring to the Fios package with tv phone and internet? Here is like 90 bucks a month for 10 gigs my friend has it and I will find out more he couldn't get hughesnet to work at his place and got this Verizon stuff and its fast. I will see if I can find what it is real quick.

No it was over their cell network. No fiber in this area. That's the reason centurylink is so slow, it runs over copper. They've been saying for the past 5 years that fiber is coming but I don;t expect to ever see it. Hard for a company to invest in cable plant upgrade when more and more people are abandoning land lines for cell phones. It would take a major change to their business model to make it worth while putting in all the fiber that would be required.

Supposed to be a new gadget/service called MyFy that works over wireless phone links. Don't know anything about it yet but there is a Verizon tower within seeing distance of the ranch house. Probably too expensive for me but I'll check.

The MiFi is a mobile hot box. I had it for about 4 years until I recently switched to Verizon's 4G LTE contraption. I don't know its official name, I'm not sure it's even on their website. The MiFi worked fine, but the speed wasn't consistent. Great one day, slow as dial up another. This new contraption uses the same cell towers, but with a receiver mounted on the house it gives consistent 4G speeds. It also doubled my allowance from 5 gigs to 10 gigs, for only 10 more dollars/month. It's $60/month. I'll check my bill here in a minute and see what the name is listed on there, that'll give you something to go on if you call them to inquire. It's not as fast as broadband in town, but it's pretty good. Still can't download a lot of things or stream videos because of the limit, but so far it's been my best option. If you have Verizon cell service, it'll work for you.

I have wildblue and am generally happy with it. Fairly quick service. The only issue I have with them is if you have to call them, you are going to have to work your way past the first moron on the phone to get someone to help you. Most important words. "may I speak to your supervisor please"

Where we are located, satellite is our only option... I originally started off with Hughes Net but found that we were running out of data fairly quickly in the month. I let my son take over (he shares the office with me with his business) and he converted us over to Verizon. Verizon was fast, but we had the same problem with the Data Usage... the only problem with Verizon is that once you hit your data limit, the additional charges start racking up... and I mean RACKING UP! Last October we had a $1500.00 overage bill from Verizon... that's right... $1500.00 in one month!!!

I got on the phone and talked to Hughes Net once again. What I did wrong the first time was that I had the "Residential" plan instead of the "Business" plan. The good thing about Hughes Net is that they will NEVER charge you any overage fee nor will they cut off your service. Once you hit your data usage, your system just slows way down (like back to dial-up speed). To get over this, I have installed two Hughes Net services... I get 50GB of service from each unit at a cost of about $178.00/month. Now with the two, I have my 100GB's for less than $400.00/month which works very well for me. As far as service goes, I can't tell you any speed differences but I do like working with Hughes Net a lot better!

i dont care what service you go with nothing is truelly unlimited.we started out with hughesnet they was ok till they started upgrading.then we couldnt stay online at all.changed over to wildblue.you was able to stay online till weather knocked you off.never had any problem staying online.then we started eating 10GBs in less than 3wks,we would always make nearly a full month w/o time running out.got tired of that so we bundle wildblue with dish for less money a month.so far great service.we have 50GBs free time from 2am till 8am as well as our 10GBs.

We use SpeedyQuick and I like it a lot. It's pretty fast and pretty reasonably priced. I'm not sure what we pay, as that's my wife's department, but it's under $100/month. She works from home, too, so it's not like we only get 2GB. I'm pretty sure that it's unlimited. We did have Verizon and the problem is that you can use your limit quickly, and then like someone else said, it gets expensive.

My only complaint is that weather does effect service. We live on a hill and it gets windy, so sometimes service is spotty. Also, it gets rather foggy and that will slow it down, too. Other than that, I like it.

I think you'd really have to go over a lot for the Verizon overages to amount to much. I haven't paid much attention to the new package, but I think its $10 when I go over and that's good for another 1 or 2 gigs. Now for someone wanting to stream movies or operate a business, I think you'd need to be unlimited. But with our "normal" usage it's never a problem. Even when we occasionally go over because I download some games for the boys, I've never paid more than $70.
I'm not sure what package they have that cold even approach $300/month, but it can't be the same one I have. Or perhaps your usage is a lot more than mine.

i think (at least with with verizon), you will find it is cheaper to go up to the next data limit than it is to keep paying overages.

=bigbull338..50GBs free time from 2am till 8am as well as our 10GBs.
50gb free?
:shock:
It would take me a minimum of 5 months to use that much data, and I watch a lot of youtube vids.

greybeard":3nr1uj1w said:
i think (at least with with verizon), you will find it is cheaper to go up to the next data limit than it is to keep paying overages.

=bigbull338..50GBs free time from 2am till 8am as well as our 10GBs.
50gb free?
:shock:
It would take me a minimum of 5 months to use that much data, and I watch a lot of youtube vids.
well its nothing for us to go through that 10GBs without trying.thats no vids or youtube.just facebook and CT.but we do run 3 pcs on it.so now i try to get up early to use some of the time.

Time has nothing to do with it--data does. I can open any weppage and leave it open from now till Feb 2017 and it won't use any more data in that time than it took to open it in the 5-10 seconds it originally took to load the page.
There are 2 of us on our plan and even when I was completely house bound in Oct from surgery, we didn't use 10gb.
An hour of youtube or other video watched will consume the following from a plan:
(the first numbers are the quality (resolution) you watch it in)

240p ~ 150 MB
360p ~ 250 MB
480p ~ 400 MB
720p ~ 800-900 MB
1080p ~ 1.2 -1.4 GB

Most vids are 480p unless you opt for high quality.
This original Jingle Bells 2.5 minute video is automatically played in 480p and consumes about 14 mb of data--maybe a little less..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PgNPc-iFW8

bigbull338":3v3cxxum said:
well its nothing for us to go through that 10GBs without trying.thats no vids or youtube.just facebook and CT.but we do run 3 pcs on it.so now i try to get up early to use some of the time.
I don't even see how that's possible. Are you sure you don't have something running in the background, like adware? I know Facebook uses a lot more data than one would think, but it would take a lot of usage to use up 10 gb.

..or maybe they got somebody' else 'helpin' to use that much data.
I can see using 10gb/mo fairly easily, if one does online gaming or watches all the news videos and some other high graphics vids day in and day out, but to the extend that a provider would include an extra 50 gb each month?
Sumthing just don't sound right. AFAIK, the biggest home plan Verizon offers here is 18gb/mo for $100 thru a 4g LTE jetpack--above that you get into business plans.

Dun, I have Dish.
Its 50 bucks a month for 5 gigs
if you go over it still works but slower.
Its all we can get, no cable or dsl where i live.
not too bad but not as fast as cable.

Bill

Latest posts