Santa Gertrudis

Help Support CattleToday:

Diamond G

Reaction score
Any Santa Gertrudis breeders here I have a Santa on some Brangus cross bred cattle. Just wondering what the calves will look like
Thanks

I had a Gert Bull on some Beefmaster mommas, and got some fairly nice calves. My only complaint was that I got several lame calves out of the deal. Crippled, unable to walk, or stiff legged. After I got rid of the bull, have not had any problems since. He may have just had bad genetics, or could have been just pure coincidence.

If the cows are homozygous black the calves will look like Brangus with probably more milk. A nighbor raises straightbred Gerts and one of the boys got a bunch of crossbred cows. Baldys, baldy with ear, Brangus looking cows, a Holstein cross, etc. Calves are all solid body colored, mostly black with a few reds and brockle to baldy faces. I commented on the claves have different body types and was informed he runs 3 different Gert bulls. That would explain it.

A Gert bull on Brangus cows will get you mostly black calves that will be hard to tell from straight Brangus. You will get a few red calves and an occaisonal brindle or striped calf. The heifers will make good cows, the steers won't top the market, but will weigh heavy enough to make up if you have a good, thick meaty bull.

Why not":7kt9pdy1 said:
wonder if that gert bull will pass on the prolapse problem to any heifers retained out of the cross. That is one major issue with beef masters and gerts way to many prolapses.

I have read that. It seemed strange. Grandaddy ran a pasture full of Gerts back in the 60's and I don't remember any prolapses.

Thanks for the info, I am sure time will tell, but I know now kinda what to look for
Most of the cows with this bull are solid black pretty good ear, and a couple white faces

Rocky Vess of Winrock farms in Arkansas is using
some Murray Grey bulls on Gerts - and is very pleased
with the results. The only downside as I understand it,
is that he wanted to keep the red color----but the
calves were all different shades of brown.

Diamond G":35l5oswa said:
Any Santa Gertrudis breeders here I have a Santa on some Brangus cross bred cattle. Just wondering what the calves will look like
Thanks
for a maternal cross they would be fine i guess. but a brangus bull would be better on those cross cows

Hi Diamond. Gert breeder here in Alberta. This will be our 20th year with Gerts and we never had a prolapse on a single Gert. Bad feet, hernias, and over protectiveness YES but prolapse NO.

You would think that with their well developed vulvas that they would be more likely to prolapse but thats not the case. Hereford is still king of ....er... queen of Prolapse.

No offense to Hereford breeders.... I bought some Hereford influenced heifers (20) that had hereford sired calves and are quite nice except one mother already had pink eye. :roll:

I know about the feet problems. I have some pretty good sandy loam soil rair for East Texas so this should help some, I have had no problems with the bull

I'm not saying this cause I run red angus, but many Gert breeders are using redangus to create a composite with the gerts.

The Red Angus/Gert cross has been working very well. I have seen some 50% and 75% Gert crosses, and the advantages are: cleaning up underlines, maintaining a moderate frame, and losing that little ear.
Once you grade up to the 7/8 Gert with this cross, you can still tell that the cross was there, but if you can get a bull like that and sell semen to AI with...They make some excellent cows.

Why not said:
Beef masters and gerts are both good breeds if they dont prolapse.[/quote Whynot I dont mean any harm by this but most of my friends have been raising beefmasters for a good while and I have never heard that prolapse was a big problem for beefmasters.

Why not":1rvfx9y6 said:
wonder if that gert bull will pass on the prolapse problem to any heifers retained out of the cross. That is one major issue with beef masters and gerts way to many prolapses.

I have had some gert cows since 1969 and only had 1 prolapse in all that time. Cut her head off and eliminated the problem. It does happen in some strains of Bos indicus cattle (Brahman, Brangus, Santa Gertrudis and Beefmaster). There are some flaws in every breed. There are also some very desirable qualities in nearly every breed.

Latest posts