santa gertrudis

Help Support CattleToday:

This is an example of what the breed is trying to produce now
SG1227182.jpg

1f44d.png
So how did they do this, careful selection within the breed, add more shorthorn or a different outcross ?

The following article is interesting:🙄

Santa Gertrudis Cattle Pros

The Santa gertrudis cows have long and productive lives. These cows become sexually mature at the age of 12 and then they start mating with their partner. When these cows reach at 18th year of their life, they start calving. This is a plus point. The calving process is un-problematic and this relieves the stress of farmers during labor. Santa gertrudis cattle have very good mothering properties and these cattle take very good care of their calves. These cattle remain healthy and their thick skin protects them from external environment and parasitic attacks. These cattle have active sweat glands to keep them cool.

This is an example of what the breed is trying to produce now
SG1227182.jpg

1f44d.png
So how did they do this, careful selection within the breed, add more shorthorn or a different outcross ?

Through hard selection for cleaner sheaths, and putting emphasis on ribeye area. Their was a project called NuGen that took the best Shorthorn and Brahman genetics and by crossing and backcrossing trying to re-invent Santa Gertrudis and keep an approximate 3/8 Brahman influence

Wouldn't that be close to a Droughtmaster, with some shorthorn in the mix? I remember seeing Midtncattle's calf crop pictures. Impressive.

It would be close to Beefmaster (Brahman, Shorthorn, Hereford) just with more Hereford in the mix.

146ADB5B-98AA-42E9-926A-D2D1C50728E5.jpeg
D41723F1-A5A6-4E9E-A286-9BD092EB600E.jpeg

Last edited:
They have a Gert sale about 50 miles from my home, it's in mid July. Wanted to go, but I just can't seem to get away anymore. I think they usually have some star 5 females in it. Would have like to have bid on a few.

I don't have any Gerts, have thought about getting a few heifers just to have or Gert/Red Angus heifers. Seem to recall the SG association finally decided to allow breeders to bring in Shorthorn to add new blood and to tighten sheath and knock off horns which will help them long term.

Rusty 2year.jpg
This is our commercial bull be bought after weaning. He's just over 2years old in this picture. He's half Fleckvieh, some red angus, and about an 1/8th Gert. He has nice calves and you will see little signs of the Gert in his calves: lower ears and extra skin flap under the neck and navel.

Recently got a Santa G. Heifer in trade. Extremely nuts crazy in the chute, and can't get close to her. When i go out to feed, I always talk to her and move slow And careful. She's still spooky after a year, but now when I feed she comes up to about 6 feet from me. I think whoever owned her before spent no time with their cows. I walk among them and always talk to them, so almost all are gentle. I like the breed well enough to keep this girl, but it's taking a long time to gain her trust. She's recently bred to my angus bull, so I guess I'll see how it turns out.

They have a Gert sale about 50 miles from my home, it's in mid July. Wanted to go, but I just can't seem to get away anymore. I think they usually have some star 5 females in it. Would have like to have bid on a few.
I've been to that sale a few times, bought a heifer once. Met some nice folks in the process. It's just under 200 miles for us so I don't get to go very often, usually have something else going on at that time too.

Latest posts