Santa Gertrudis crosses anyone ?????

Help Support CattleToday:

tdarden3k

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on Santa Gertrudis X crosses? Especially Angus and Hereford ?
Is there a market for these type steers ? I also read that Santa Gerts are good milkers.

I have a few and I am starting to breed some pure bred Gerts to hereford bulls for my replacements. They make great mothers. The Hereford puts some width and fleshing ability on them. The Gert puts some fly and heat resistance and really knocks down the pink eye. The Gert provides the milk. Also the Hereford seems to work wonders on the disposition. I have a couple of Angus Gert Crosses that I have picked up at sales because people just don't seem to like them as well and I picked up 1 from a guy here on Cattle Today to me they are just as good if not better as the Herf cross but you can seem to get them allot cheaper. I put them in my Fall calving herd which is all black and they fit in right along with the Brangus and Chiangus and definitely milk better. As said by ALCOWMAN the Herf x Gert steer is going to get knocked but if the Angus x Gert steer doesn't have allot of extra leather or too much ear they can top the market at least in Alabama.

ALACOWMAN":2oy29pfp said:
where are you located?? the hereford/ gert cross females make good momas ... steers will take a hit
That depends on your location on the hit. Here in East Texas a Gert x Hereford or Angus will sell within 2 or 3 cents of the top calves as they are less than a 1/4 ear and everything here has some influence unless their dams are not "environmentally adapted"

I really like the heifers from Gert/hereford cross. Red motleys are pretty and make good cows. We did really well with Charolais over Gert cows. They sell good, and heifers also made good mothers. Could be big cows though.

Here You go
iphonesept011_zpsef3931d8.jpg

iphone440.jpg

ip018.jpg

iphonesept016_zps6da51377.jpg

Midtn posted some gert char cross calves on here a little while back. I thought they were pretty fancy myself. I'd like to have some hiefers bred that way.

Thanks Midtncattle. You raise good looking cattle. I have always been fascinated with the Santa Gerts since we studied them in VO-AG over 40 years ago.
They just seem to be flying way under the radar but should do well in the South and Southwest. Kinda like the Shorthorns ... At least in the South.

Thanks for the nice comments. I am AI'ng a portion of my cows for possible replacements. I then put in a registered horned hereford or Char. I am currently trying to find a good horned hereford in my area that is in a reasonable price range. Here are a few older pictures. I will try to snap a few more today. I will have a few heifers for sale at weaning.

march10010_zpsde630010.jpg

today014_zps2d268c95.jpg

MidTN Cattle
Are those Angus or Charolais crosses ?
Again.... Your cattle are nice. I would have no problems looking after a 100 of those babies very day !!!

Char bull on gert cows will make some nice yellow heifers if you needed some to keep, and the steer would probably work to.

BC":23zrdxi2 said:
ALACOWMAN":23zrdxi2 said:
where are you located?? the hereford/ gert cross females make good momas ... steers will take a hit
That depends on your location on the hit. Here in East Texas a Gert x Hereford or Angus will sell within 2 or 3 cents of the top calves as they are less than a 1/4 ear and everything here has some influence unless their dams are not "environmentally adapted"

The heifers would fetch a premium here if out an Angus or polled Herf.
Horn's would hurt you, the ear would help as everyone in this part of the world want's some ear.

If this thread raises any interest in purchasing Santa Gertrudis crosses, it's a pretty good time to be in the market for some: there are 30 selling in the Crimson Classic Sale in Hanceville, AL on April 27 at 11 AM (Central). We'll have 22 selling in the Breeders of the Carolinas Sale on May 11 at 11 AM (Eastern) in Chester, SC.

saintgert":ij67qlx4 said:
If this thread raises any interest in purchasing Santa Gertrudis crosses, it's a pretty good time to be in the market for some: there are 30 selling in the Crimson Classic Sale in Hanceville, AL on April 27 at 11 AM (Central). We'll have 22 selling in the Breeders of the Carolinas Sale on May 11 at 11 AM (Eastern) in Chester, SC.

Do you know if that sale will be online or how someone might get a catalog ?
Thanks

Breeders of the Carolinas Sale Catalog posted--accessible through our facebook page and blog: Santa Gertrudis Breeders of the Carolinas.

Latest posts