Sand Mountain Stockyard

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Anyone know what is going on with Sand Mountain Stockyard? I've heard lots of rumors. I haven't seen either of the owners up there in quite a while. Attended a Republican Party meeting and found out that Dave Evans was in Kentucky working at a vet clinic and is now running for Commission Chairman in St Clair County?

Yep, Dave is not managing the stockyard anymore. He did go to Kentucky for a while to help a vet school classmate of his who broke his hand and couldn't work. Now he is in St. Clair County managing his family's 300 cow herd and helping with their marina while he is running for the head of the St. Clair County Commission as a Republican (I have talked to him several times on the campaign trail). We really don't have many Dems in this county anymore so the Republican Primary Tuesday is winner take all.

kenny thomas":248vnqym said:
Brandonm22, pm me and let me know how the election goes. If you remember tell him the wife and I says hi.

I don't know how to email using my cell phone (sorry I am getting behind the times) so it will have to be Wednesday since I have to collect the county results for gubernatorial candidate Bradley Byrne (I am preceint captain at Whites Chapel) then drive Mother to Montgomery for (we hope) the party announcing that Byrne made the runoff. But I will certainly do it Wednesday and I probably will see Dave more than once between now and Tuesday night. Dave has outworked the incumbent, but for a complete newcomer to beat an incumbent is a tall order.

No problem, I will be working away this week starting Tuesday and will not be back until Sunday. Just interested in how he does. Heck of a good vet but don't know about the political side.

etowah-county-farmer":d487y81l said:
Anyone know what is going on with Sand Mountain Stockyard? I've heard lots of rumors. I haven't seen either of the owners up there in quite a while. Attended a Republican Party meeting and found out that Dave Evans was in Kentucky working at a vet clinic and is now running for Commission Chairman in St Clair County?
last time i was there a worker told me they didnt have much intrest in the place anymore... pen hooker was working the place pretty heavy again

Rumor has it.The bank took it over.The Bank hired Brad Plunkett from Ashville stockyard to run it from Jan 1 till March 30. Brad said the barn wasn't making enough money to pay the employees. Brad was the one who let the pen hooking start. The bank was going to shut the doors.When Brad quit.Stevie Peek is running it now,doing a pretty good job to. I do wish he'd stop the pen hooking.

Okay - googled and this is what I found on a thoroughbred website.

By definition, "pinhooking" is a term used to describe the activities of an individual who hangs around the entrance of a livestock yard with the intention of buying livestock from incoming farmers. The purpose was to buy animals from the farmer for less money than they could get from the auction inside. This was a very common practice and still exists at smaller livestock yards in rural areas. The IRS has curtailed this practice at large livestock auctions; however, the practice still exists to some extent. Sometimes, the "pinhookers" would make money, sometimes they would lose. Generally, the transaction was not recorded, and therefore, the IRS did not get their share of any profits.

In horse circles it means buying a weanling or yearling to resale at a later date.

oscar p":35i9suxw said:
Rumor has it.The bank took it over.The Bank hired Brad Plunkett from Ashville stockyard to run it from Jan 1 till March 30. Brad said the barn wasn't making enough money to pay the employees. Brad was the one who let the pen hooking start. The bank was going to shut the doors.When Brad quit.Stevie Peek is running it now,doing a pretty good job to. I do wish he'd stop the pen hooking.
i liked the old days when stevie and brad both worked there and billy lowry owned it, he was friendly and always helped

farmwriter":5igmcrb0 said:
Of course it is... LOL!
i guess i should have read your post,,, sand mountain starts over in georgia and covers several counties..not a community but has several towns and communities on it

It is just sad, because at one time when J.W. Pack own it, it was one of the largest in the state.

Got the scoop...SMS is being managed by Michael Thomas and Stevie Peek is helping him. The two owners are in a lawsuit regarding SMS and until it gets settled, both owners have agreed to stay away. Apparently, a guy that Evans is in a land deal with got involved with SMS somehow and did quite a bit of financial damage that is trying to be cleaned up. I never had any dealings with Evans, but the Williams guy always seemed like he appreciated your business. Doesn't seem like Evans has any long term plans of being back at SMS. He has been in Kentucky and is now running for St Clair Commission Chairman. We'll wait and see what happens.

Latest posts