San Jacinto Day

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Measured by its results, San Jacinto was one of the decisive battles of the world. The freedom of Texas from Mexico won here led to annexation and to the Mexican–American War, resulting in the acquisition by the United States of the states of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah and parts of Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas and Oklahoma. Almost one-third of the present area of the American Nation, nearly a million square miles of territory, changed sovereignty.

Over on TexasBowhunter.com there's a guy who wrote up a day by day history of the Texas War for Independence starting in late February. It's reposted every year and it is very interesting.

Measured by its results, San Jacinto was one of the decisive battles of the world. The freedom of Texas from Mexico won here led to annexation and to the Mexican–American War, resulting in the acquisition by the United States of the states of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah and parts of Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas and Oklahoma. Almost one-third of the present area of the American Nation, nearly a million square miles of territory, changed sovereignty.
My family came over with Moses Austin, many fought and some died for the Republic of Texas. Not only do I have loads of written 1st hand accounts, but quite a few are in the Alamo library (the old DRT library). The Battle of San Jacinto was a VERY emotional victory for Texans. It was revenge for the horrors of the Goliad Massacre, the Alamo, ... My family fought and survived San Jacinto. Here's a piece you might find VERY enlightening!!
After the Mexican army had been driven into a nearby lake, in an attempt to save their own lives they would hold their breath and stay under water as long as they could. When they would surface for a breath, the Texan/Texican soldiers would shoot them.
A young Texan who was fiercely shooting Mexican soldiers as they bobbed up was approached by one of his officers who ordered him to stop. Upon receiving that order, the young soldier wheeled and pointed his rifle at the officer.
The officer drew his saber, pointed it at the lake, and said, "Carry on, private."
We will NEVER FORGET!! I know I won't!! REMEMBER GOLIAD, REMEMBER THE ALAMO!!

My family came over with Moses Austin, many fought and some died for the Republic of Texas. Not only do I have loads of written 1st hand accounts, but quite a few are in the Alamo library (the old DRT library). The Battle of San Jacinto was a VERY emotional victory for Texans. It was revenge for the horrors of the Goliad Massacre, the Alamo, ... My family fought and survived San Jacinto. Here's a piece you might find VERY enlightening!!
After the Mexican army had been driven into a nearby lake, in an attempt to save their own lives they would hold their breath and stay under water as long as they could. When they would surface for a breath, the Texan/Texican soldiers would shoot them.
A young Texan who was fiercely shooting Mexican soldiers as they bobbed up was approached by one of his officers who ordered him to stop. Upon receiving that order, the young soldier wheeled and pointed his rifle at the officer.
The officer drew his saber, pointed it at the lake, and said, "Carry on, private."
We will NEVER FORGET!! I know I won't!! REMEMBER GOLIAD, REMEMBER THE ALAMO!!
Micajah Autry was mine that caused my bunch to immigrate in. Went to the Alamo with Crockett one of the Tennessee boys.

Latest posts