Sample Greenwillow Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Wife has camera borrowed from her sister, who spends a lot of money on cameras. Sister has won several photo contests, etc.

Two of the bulls, including the first one were sired by the first herd bull I owned, and still have the right to use, so same bloodlines as the other pics you have seen.

Maybe it's just the pictures, but in both photos, the 5 month old with the red patch on his right eye looks to be lacking in depth. His ribs appear to be well sprung but he looks to be constricted as he goes forward. JMO.

I like the first bull. Very nice muscle and length. Not really a fan of the horns, but nice looking either way.

0451894-R1-028-12A.jpg
[/img]
0451894-R1-010-3A.jpg
[/img]
0451894-R1-018-7A.jpg
[/img]

Back to the old grainy photos again, :oops: here are some from last winter of a bull just weaned at six months old. Sold as a herd bull prospect, haven't heard from him since. This one is out of "Tidy Udder," and is a half brother to the first and third bulls.

BTW James, I certainly agree that the jury is still out on the younger calf.

those are some nice looking weaning bulls.shows the breeding they have in them.they are long bodied calves.scott

Nice looking calves, but I can't believe no one has mentioned anything about all that excess leather up front?? Is that normal in the HH breed?? American bred Simmentals have fought a dirty front end from the biginning - maybe I'm just too sensitive to that look - really don't like sloppy front ends.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2npxonx0 said:
Nice looking calves, but I can't believe no one has mentioned anything about all that excess leather up front?? Is that normal in the HH breed?? American bred Simmentals have fought a dirty front end from the biginning - maybe I'm just too sensitive to that look - really don't like sloppy front ends.

That is not normal in any breed but the fleck's. :shock: :roll:

I was restraining myself rather well thill you chimned in.

certherfbeef":6f06rsqb said:
That is not normal in any breed but the fleck's. :shock: :roll:
I don't think Willow would intentionally try to sell something that he didn't think was 100% Hereford. But I'll have to admit that I have some HH/Sim crossed heifers that sure do look a lot like this one. They don't have all the toys and stuff to play with, though. Willow, do you register every bull calf born and call them herd sire prospects or do you ever do any culling?

0451894-R1-028-12A.jpg

I do like this Braford bull, though. A little post-legged, but sure long-bodied. I might could use something like that to make some replacement heifers with. Does he still have a lot of ear on him? How did you get the crest off of him and keep all the leather on him?

9447710-R1-035-16.jpg

I've looked at alot of herefords lately, some of them are tidier up front than others. But if GW's have "too much leather" up front, then they are in good company. Just my opinion.

huth01.jpg
Huth PS Prospector M015 Rocking F, Fayette MO

boomer.gif
Day's Family Farm, Pilot Grove MO

jjvic2.jpg
JJJ Victor S133 637 GLENGROVE FARM, Rolla MO

shf%20tradition%20312l.jpg
SHF Tradition 312L Logue Polled Herefords, Lexington MO

:lol: :lol: Texan that is the neighbor's house and his kid's toys across the fence. Of course some of them were drug over in my pasture too. No, we had a steer we raised that was shown by a 4H/FFA kid last year.

greenwillowherefords":24il7f5j said:
No, we had a steer we raised that was shown by a 4H/FFA kid last year.

gw, one of us is misinterpreting Texan's message. i'm understanding his question to be a polite way to say that maybe not everything should be sold as breeding stock. hint, hint........invest in some rubber bands ;-)

bgm - you look at things a lot differently than I do. I think the bulls you posted were pretty clean up front, especially the Victor S133. I'm talking about that 6" strip of loose leather hanging from his throat down to his brisket. That's not fat - it's very loose leather. And I'm not suggesting that he is not PB herford, just too sloppy for me.
GWH - are you saying you ONLY had 1 steer last year?? out of how many males? Just curious. We castrate the majority of our males. Don't have that great a market for bulls, and not all are bull quality.

I've only raised one herd bull in the past 7 years. That may just be a testimate to my poor breeding program, I don't know. But one bull calf made it intact in seven years.

There are far too many excellent AI bulls to choose from to use an even medieoker herd bull just because he's cheap. Just because I like his mamma. Just because that mating should have turned out better(it just has to, I know it will). Just because he was born on my farm. Just because I don't like Star Lake's cattle.

There is also WAY too many bulls out there to choose from for me to even think about line breeding anything. I have a tank full of bulls that keep my genetics spread out plenty far. And I feel I still get a uniform and consistant calf crop.

And one more thing...I'd be having a serious discussion with my neighbor if I were you. One of my biggest pet peeves is trash, of any kind, in my pastures. Anything other than grass, hay or cattle...doesn't belong in my pastures. Then I don't have to worry about neighbor kids crossing my fence to get their toys and I don't have to worry about "freak accidents" when my cattle get caught up in equipment that was in the pasture for the cattle to mill around.

There are a number of things I need to be having discussions with him about. I just hate doing it.

I was using the steer as an example. I've never claimed that we had a large operation, and I've noticed that most on the boards clam up when questions are asked about how many head they run, like "asking how much money you have in your bank account." Does this or does this not also apply to me? The bull that Texan apparently doesn't like was sold at six months old to a man who wanted to evaluate him for a while before he made the decision of what to do with him. The man had three crossbred heifers I think. I don't know what he did with him. Feel free to dissect him point by point based on the grainy picture.

Concerning leather, I will say this, and this is all I intend to say: I will not cull on leather alone. That is the last point of refinement to work on after I have everything else like I want it.

I said no thin skin this time, and I'm doing my best to keep it that way. I enjoy my cattle and like them, and have my priorities. High on the list are disposition and carcass. Maybe my eye is different than yours. Maybe my priorities are different. I'll listen and adjust them for people who actually get out in the pasture, look at my cattle in the flesh, and make their case for what I need to do different. I purchased my seedstock from folks who've stayed in the business for decades, and I don't think they did by selling junk.

I wasn't trying to indicate that the bull was good or bad. Just making a point of his leather which I was extremely surprised to see on a hereford. As a Simmental breeder, to say the least, I'm used to seeing leather, and no, that is not the high priority for culling. Heavy front ends/shoulders are a definate no no around here & a bull would be cut for that.

I don't mind telling how many head of cattle we run. We generally have 35-40 head of breeders each year. We are proud to be able to produce quality cattle out of small numbers (at least we try).

Latest posts