Sam the destroyer

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
I have a 14 month old Australian Shepard named Sam. He is my buddy. But I have never seen a dog be so destructive. He chews everything to pieces. Came home and he had destroyed 2 new water hoses, one was in 17 pieces. He destroyed the trampoline, the porch swing, the kids playhouse, and the list goes on and on. I know Aussies are bad about this but will he get better? Any tips? I have had him for 13 months and he just gets worse. He is not left alone all that often and is in the house when we are home. He sleeps in the house. Any help would be appreciated.

We had aa GSP that was like that. Finally had to make a fenced run that she was in if she couln;t be supervised

Isomade":14ycsapr said:
I have a 14 month old Australian Shepard named Sam. He is my buddy. But I have never seen a dog be so destructive. He chews everything to pieces. Came home and he had destroyed 2 new water hoses, one was in 17 pieces. He destroyed the trampoline, the porch swing, the kids playhouse, and the list goes on and on. I know Aussies are bad about this but will he get better? Any tips? I have had him for 13 months and he just gets worse. He is not left alone all that often and is in the house when we are home. He sleeps in the house. Any help would be appreciated.
You have made him your buddy so when you are not around to love/entertain him he gets bored and must entertain himself. He does not see chewing as destuctive as we do, he is merely passing the time until you get back. He may also be teething so chewing may bring a little relief.

I would try packing as many 'chewable' items away for a while and substitute them with toys that he is encouraged to chew and rip apart so his focus shifts. Exercise is also important.
What sometime happens is a family gets a new pup and all the attention is projected it's way until the novalty wears off, the pup does not understand why he no longer recieves 'all' the attention and tries to compensate, thus recieving attention but the wrong kind of attention.

Good luck, he seems to have made a strong bond with you. Post a pic of him sometime :D .

have had a couple do the same but seems like they sort of grew out of it after they got about ayear old. After that all she ever did was drag every bone, bottle, stick etc to the yard and leave it. Hopefully yours will change.

We had nothing but problems with our dogs for quite a while. my house sits on one acre of fenced ground that was surounded by pasture before I tore out the pasture and planted citrus. Now the dogs have the run of the entire place and it has turned them into new dogs. No more dead chickens, chewed hoses, torn up waders, runnaway dogs, just happy dogs ready to work if I need them but just as happy to stay home.

cow pollinater":104v1dhp said:
We had nothing but problems with our dogs for quite a while. my house sits on one acre of fenced ground that was surounded by pasture before I tore out the pasture and planted citrus. Now the dogs have the run of the entire place and it has turned them into new dogs. No more dead chickens, chewed hoses, torn up waders, runnaway dogs, just happy dogs ready to work if I need them but just as happy to stay home.

Good stuff here. Most dogs included DO NOT get enuf exersize to burn off all the excess energy they build up. Then we blame them for bad behavior, when it's our fault.
Good dogs are like good kids.....TIRED

Sam has his run of 270 acres. He runs by the 4-wheeler while I Feed and check cows twice a day. Exercise ain't a problem. I am hoping he gets better with age. Today he chewed a Kong toy into tiny pieces in 3 hours. That has to be a record.

[ Today he chewed a Kong toy into tiny pieces in 3 hours. That has to be a record.[/quote]

"BeeGee" (20mo Female Australian Shepard) Can turn a "Pup Tread" into Confetti in about 1 1/2 hrs....I got her that cus I thought it would be indestructible! :???:

Orerancher":2a3t2lhz said:
[ Today he chewed a Kong toy into tiny pieces in 3 hours. That has to be a record.

"BeeGee" (20mo Female Australian Shepard) Can turn a "Pup Tread" into Confetti in about 1 1/2 hrs....I got her that cus I thought it would be indestructible! :???:[/quote]

Try Bison cannon bones. They ARE indestructible.

And you just have to realize sometimes that all dogs are not created equal or worth their keep. Daughter has an Aussie best mannered dog I have ever seen, and it's a year old she doesn't get into anything, minds well. Dog is welcome when they come. Now the neighbor a mile through the woods has one that is on borrowed time.
I have captured the devil on game camera in the trash barrel digging in the yard etc. I have shown the owner that he likes to visit at night and he still has yet to solve the problem. This will get solved you can carve it in stone, write it in blood or place your hand on the good book, this dogs time is short.

I'm not complaining, The only things she has ever destroyed are the chew toys I give her...

She likes to pick up a small piece of rubber from a chewed up toy, Walks around all day chewin on it like Gum... Sometimes it's like ridin in the Truck with a teenage Girl... :lol2:

Latest posts