sale day

Help Support CattleToday:

newrancher

Reaction score
Well, sold 7 of my holstiens thurs, they avgd 600lbs and brought .85 so I was pleased. Got to go out on the road again or I would have wintered them, just too many for the better half to take care of after coming home from her job. Any way they avg a little more than 1lb ADG. I took them the night before, dont think I will do that again, didnt look to me like they drank out of those waterers. Hopefully I can get a laptop on the truck sometime soon.

Where I am, it it isnt solid or bald faced, it won't bring squat.

Thats about what they bring here too , 87 , ive got 9 of em and im getting about 3 lbs per day on pasture plus a high protein supplement about 3 lbs per head a day. They are loking great but they take so much feed . Im keepin em and selling sides , only way to make them pay I think. got angus and crosses for next year though !

I took 3 400lb claves to the sale a couple of weeks ago, Hereford, 2 steers, 1 heifer. I averaged $64 cwt, they were in good condition, but the worst three of the season, 3 that I couldn't sell on the open market (or didn't want to hay any longer). I was really disappointed, worst price ever for me at the auction. I figured the reasons were, no grass, expensive hay, and the pens where packed and a line over a mile long to unload. Nice looking black hides were getting about $80 cwt, but I was in the average for herfords, holstien and dairy steers were in the 40's.

Alan

Lammie":jhzulqri said:
Where I am, it it isnt solid or bald faced, it won't bring squat.

Ain't that the truth!

Then...if they have ear or horns or color you can figure about HALF that.

On a sidebar: In the dark, all animals are the same color, regardless of species. Also, the meat is always the same pink (or red) when the hide is off... ;-)

TNMasterBeefProducer":25exp3yb said:
I hate to say it but those should have brought more for that weight. 1200 pound cutter cows bring close 60 cents a pound. 1 pound adg is not very good either. My feeder calves right now (13) of them are eating 6 tons of feed every 15 days. Ill be glad to get em gone by december 3

Just curious how big these calves are as that figures out to 60 pounds a day to each head.

I WAS hoping for better gain but Im very happy with the price, when 7 pays the note on 10 that leaves 3 for profit. They are eating grass that I dont have to bush hog, gonna get a little more aggresive next year though, may try some beef breeds they will probably do a little better on grass. Any way thanks for all the comments and advice this year, doggone it seems like I never get on here any more.

milkmaid":2ugd9a3b said:
Price is normal... you should have gotten a better ADG than that though.

What is a good adg gain on dairy breed? I thought they were less than beef normally.

Eddie Smith":m5bmek69 said:
80 - 90 cents is what they would bring around norteast Tx to.

Really? When we sell on Tuesday, if we don't get atleast $1.10 I will be disappointed. Last year I think we got $1.15 for the heifers and $1.20 for the steers.

RN BSN":1ecke1sv said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":1ecke1sv said:
I hate to say it but those should have brought more for that weight. 1200 pound cutter cows bring close 60 cents a pound. 1 pound adg is not very good either. My feeder calves right now (13) of them are eating 6 tons of feed every 15 days. Ill be glad to get em gone by december 3

13 calves eating 6 tons every 15 days. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, if you say so.. :roll: :roll:

Oh wow then I am really under feeding mine. I have 16 head that go thru 1-1 1/2 tons every 12 twelve days or so.

ALRIGHT, now that ive stopped laughing at the wanna bes and Ive sobered up just a little I am gonna comment. You gotta be freakin kidding me that your pouring 12 tons of feed per month into 15 calves, you are a MORON sir and I would LOVE to see the HOLSTEINS that weigh 600lbs and are bringing 1.10-1.15 cwt, better yet just scan the barn ticket and email it to me. GOOD GRIEF maybe I wont put a laptop in the truck, this is ridiculous.

OH, Im sorry it wasnt 15 calves it was 13 which makes it that much funnier. CAn you say profit margin.

I bet that all those sacks of feed really makes the front end of that thar dually kind of light. I think I wasted all that money on litter to get the grass to grow, I should probably spray my pasture, kill the grass, and let em eat the flintrocks I bet they would weigh more. Now lets see, 6tons of flintrock every 15 days with some buckbrush thrown in as an aid to digestion I could have this place cleaned up in no time. Is it better to creep feed flintrocks[ say that 3 times fast]. Will they benefit more feeding them cracked or whole?JEEZ

tom4018":3n6vzyqx said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":3n6vzyqx said:

Just curious how big these calves are as that figures out to 60 pounds a day to each head.

Not making much money feeding 60# a day per animal. must be some real high dollar feeders. And I don't mean sale price either lol lol lol

Name must be TNMASTER "BULL" PRODUCER
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Latest posts