Sale Day Adventures

Help Support CattleToday:

makemfat

Reaction score
Went to the local cattle sale yesterday.....prices seemed up from last year. Wasn't just the black hided ones either. Managed to buy 4. A 700lb young angus bull for 1.03 a pound. A 535 lb angus heifer for 1.09 a pound. A 405 lb Charlois heifer for 1.06 a pound. And a 450 pound red steer for 1.16 a pound. I saw some 400+ lb steers go for 1.45 a pound! As usual, my timing is off....If I would have kept everything from last fall, and sold 'em all yesterday, I'd be rich by now!
But I digress....got them home, backed the trailer up to the chute....put the pour on on them (my personal trick....climb on the top of the trailer and pour it on them even before unloading!) All went well...watched them for 30 minutes or so....all smelling noses with the existing cows through the gate and fence....checked the boundaries of the holding pen. All seemed well. Until I went to the house for a drink of water. 15 minutes later, came out and the little bull was not to be seen! No holes in the fence, nothing. Like he was abducted by aliens! Got the 4 wheeler out, and checked the whole place. Nothing. All fences A-OK. Started out heading down the road checking with neighbors...basically an all points bulliten was issued with his name on it! Finally pulled in this one driveway, and one guy there, says yeah, I saw one not 15 minutes ago up by the store. Dang! Seems the little devil was reincarnated from a famous pole vaulter! Little 700 lb angus jumped a 5 ft tall fence, then got in the county road, went half a mile, turned onto US 70, and proceeded to go a couple miles before being spotted! He crossed two bridges over creeks too! I saw him turning into someones yard that had horses. I whipped in there, turned him toward an open gate, and closed it behind him. Went home, got the trailer again, and came back. Three of us headed him toward the trailer. He decided it would be in his best interest to just ram the board fence, and take off through the clear cut next door! The next sign of him was hoof prints in the dirt road where he crossed another half mile away. Then darkness hit, and I decided maybe both of us would calm down if the hunt was called off for the night. First thing at work this morning, I get a call....neighbor with 300 red limos has a little black bull with a sale barn sticker on him in his field! This is 1.5 miles from where he was seen last! He can stay there until I electify his new home! Guess what I'll be doing this weekend! I can hardly wait! I haven't had one get that far from home in 35 years! I remembered why I spent so much time building what I thought were good fences....I hate chasing cows!!!!!!

I had my very first cow get out after 3 days. Chased her over 40 acres and she got hung in some fence and briars. I leaped for her leg and grabbed it mid air right before she got free. But landed square on my outstretched shoulder and dislocated it. Causing me to let go of the leg. She ran onto my neighbors 600 acres. Next time he was working the cows I got her back.
I've been told that if they have brahma in em they will be jumpers, and she had been weaned with wheels. I didint know that or know any better. Lesson learned that day. All new arrivals go into a pen for the first month if they are even close to weaning age

hooknline":mk216f4n said:
I had my very first cow get out after 3 days. Chased her over 40 acres and she got hung in some fence and briars. I leaped for her leg and grabbed it mid air right before she got free. But landed square on my outstretched shoulder and dislocated it. Causing me to let go of the leg. She ran onto my neighbors 600 acres. Next time he was working the cows I got her back.

How big was the cow that you leaped for?

Man, you're gonna get hurt grabbing cows legs - unless we're talking about something under a couple of hundred pounds. And even then, they can be a handfull!

She was 400 lbs at the time. And you are right, a person can get hurt, which I did. Not from her directly. I almost shot the dam thing I was so peeved at her. But she grew out good and tasted even better so I'm glad I didnt

I think I would load him in the trailer and be heading back to the sale barn with that bull calf. You think this is the last time he will do this? jmho. Good luck. Jim

dont ya just hate it when they jump over a good fence.my corral is 6ft tall pipe corral.the only way they can jump it is go over the gate.

DAY 1 my little story was 2 years ago when i got my first two calves. We headed out after church and the place was about 45 mins away from my place and i was so excited. So we got there and there were two calves 450 lbs in a pen i had just asked for one but they said if they both go in the trailer you get them both and boy they both went in. Got them in the pasture and watched them for about 30 mins then went home. DAY 2 Went to check them about 8 and they were gone no where to be seen. Thank god it had rained the day before so we tracked those calves for hours and hours and hours bet we walked 10 miles then we gave up. About a week later i went a neighbors that lives about 5 miles from me he lives in a big bottom with a bridge that goes across a river the bridge is about 50 yards long. So i pulled up and said "you seen a black calf with a tag in its ear" he pointed "is that" it my eyes lit up and i was so happy i said yhea he said it showed up abut 2 days ago and he had got it up. so 3 days later i was riding the 4 wheeler and i saw cow tracks (on one of my trails by my house) tracked them and they came from across the road at my uncle who has a trail that goes to the same river the other calf crossed. The man called me about 2days later and said your other calf showed up and i was in his pasture. So they stayed there till i could get them up. long story short 1 of the calves crossed the bridge other didnt came to my house then turned around and went back to where the other crossed. In all they lost about 150lbs each in this little episode. But got them back and they finished out at 800lbs when i sold them and got 80 cents so i did ok.

hooknline":34f4tixa said:
I've been told that if they have brahma in em they will be jumpers,

"THEY WILL BE JUMPERS" This statment is not always the truth just like when people say black bulls don't like to stay home. any breed any color and any mix can and will sometimes have a fence jumper in it. I have some full blood Brahman in a pasture that has some of the worst fences you will find and I have no problems with them but I know the cows and what it takes to hold them. Had a red white face that I would not have thought of putting in this place it all dependes on the cow.

I agree with you bryant, I was just posting what I was told and experienced. Please notice I didn't give my opinion on that statement. Maybe I should have
Cheers

Well, I spent the weekend preparing a cow penitentary for the little devil! Four hot wires should do the trick! As soon as it got turned on, his co-conspirators got to try it out. They sure had some "shocked looks" on their faces when they touched one of those wires! I think as soon as he gets brought back from the neighbors place, he'll get to live in that pen, and the heifers will make conjugal visits....just like in prison!

Latest posts