sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

to answer all the q in 1 kick.the sale barn is sslivestock comm.thje reason for 3 groups is because 3 people own the cattle.they sale them 1 at a time.the sale barn owners really control the price of all classes of cattle.an i do not trust the barn owners.but its just not worth hauling to other sale barns.plus i really cant see a profit in steers vs bulls.but thats me.besides i dont care if they top the sale.i just want a fair ave price for the calves.

what?":2uxq8dzl said:
1982vett":2uxq8dzl said:
Everything here gets sold one at a time, except cow/calf pairs.
WHAT SALE BARN IS HERE CAUSE IVE SPENT A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF TIME IN SALE BARNS IN THE STATE OF TEXAS NEVER HAVE I WITNESSED THAT WHERE I WAS. THAT MUST MAKE AN AUCTION DRAG ON AND ON AND ON. BE A BIT LIKE WATCHIN PAINT DRY I WOULD THINK.

what?":2uxq8dzl said:
EVERYONE THAT I SELL TO.

Works for you. Works for me.

what?":29glrcbz said:
Brandonm22":29glrcbz said:
I have seen sales where some pens were brought in together; but the vast majority of sales in Alabama sale by the head one at a time (except for pairs). I have been to numerous 14 hour long sales too in the fall and have been told of times that the 12:30 pm sale ended at 6:00 am.
THAT WOULD BE A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME HARD TO IMAGINE SITTING THERE ALL DAY. ARE THE CALVES THAT VARIABLE? THE PLACES I BUY AT WILL SELL 4000 HD IN A MATTER OF HOURS. BUT I GUESS THAT LAST 500 DOES TAKES SOME TIME SMALER PENS OF 30 AND UNDER. I AM USUALLY A HOUR OR TWO INTO MY DRIVE HOME BY THEN.

The sale barn at Dublin, TX can run upwards of 20 hours of selling. Much more than 4000 head cycling through. They will sell pens of cows - maybe a dozen or so. You can have individuals broke out to bid on if you request it.

The commission works for me just fine. The more nickels the cows bring, the more nickels the sale earns. If they are taking $8 a head, they wouldn't care if the cow brought $600 or $1200. They make $8 either way. Same with steers or heifers.

backhoeboogie":36257xto said:
If they are taking $8 a head, they wouldn't care if the cow brought $600 or $1200. They make $8 either way. Same with steers or heifers.

But 8 bucks for a lot regardless if it's 1 or 20 doesn;t seem possible

dun":1mw037s9 said:
backhoeboogie":1mw037s9 said:
If they are taking $8 a head, they wouldn't care if the cow brought $600 or $1200. They make $8 either way. Same with steers or heifers.

But 8 bucks for a lot regardless if it's 1 or 20 doesn;t seem possible

If I am selling and the house gets more money, for getting me more money, that's a good thing.

If they are only taking $8 per sale, including an entire lot, someone is going to be out of business really soon. It doesn't seem like that would be enough money to pay for the labor and property taxes on the facility.

what?":3qpfzjo3 said:
THE AUCTIONEER CRIES FOR 15 SECONDS REGARDLESS IF HE IS SELLING 1 HEAD OR 20 HEAD. WHY SHOULD HE BE PAID MORE FOR NOT DOING ANYMORE?

Exactly. Why should he care what the cow brings? I wouldn't sell anything there.

I may bid six or eight times when I am buying. That's 12 bids if only one other person is bidding against me. 15 seconds doesn't cut it. It makes me feel really bad for those having to sell in that barn.

backhoeboogie":1sjalii6 said:
what?":1sjalii6 said:
THE AUCTIONEER CRIES FOR 15 SECONDS REGARDLESS IF HE IS SELLING 1 HEAD OR 20 HEAD. WHY SHOULD HE BE PAID MORE FOR NOT DOING ANYMORE?

Exactly. Why should he care what the cow brings? I wouldn't sell anything there.

I may bid six or eight times when I am buying. That's 12 bids if only one other person is bidding against me. 15 seconds doesn't cut it. It makes me feel really bad for those having to sell in that barn.

Maybe they make up the difference in the 9 bucks a head yardage

every1 knows the ghost bidder is the auctioneer.an he can an will run cattle up $200 a hd or more.been there an done that.an i quit bidding on cattle for an hour or so.an the ghost bidder aka the auctioneer dropped out.an the price went down $300 a hd.so i made eye contact with him an told him you better not bid against me again.an he didnt bid anymore.an i bought 8 more cows that nite.

dun":2j6zza7j said:
backhoeboogie":2j6zza7j said:
what?":2j6zza7j said:

Maybe they make up the difference in the 9 bucks a head yardage

Very good point Dun. That's the highest yardage that I've heard.

what?":9syb4zkp said:
backhoeboogie":9syb4zkp said:
THE 15 SECONDS WAS AN EXAMPLE CLEARLY THINGS MOVE SLOWER IN TEXAS.

FOR YOU I SHOULD HAVE SAID THE AUCTIONEER CRIES FOR 3 MINUTES FOR 1 HEAD OR 20. THE PROCEDURE IS THE SAME UNLESS THEY TAKE BREAKS DURING THE CRYING FOR GROUPS OF MORE THAN 3.

Most of the sales east of I-35 sell the animals one at a time. We have a lot of cattle in small herds. There are something like 58,000 beef cows in this county and the average herd size is 31 head. They will typically sell calves 3 or 4 times a year. There are not many operations that have enough calves at one time to deal up in uniform groups.

As to the speed of the sale, I think you would be surprised at how fast the are able to get the cattle in, sold and weighed. Most of the sales will average between 240 to over 300 head per hour selling them one at a time. As a calf buyer, I have to look to see if it is a bull, steer or heifer, make an estimation of weight, does it fit an order I have and most importantly - is the calf still in my price range. All this in 10 to 12 seconds.

Latest posts