Sale barn !!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

I run cows year round, but buy an additional 30 stocker calves every summer. I buy mid 4 to mid 5 weight calves in May and tend to sell October. Everyone talks about 2lb daily gains. Last year in southern OK with all the grass they could eat but no additional feed, mine gained 1.3 lbs a day. This year I'm going straight back to the sale barn with them in October, so I implanted them and changed mineral. On a good mineral program with implants, I'm hoping for 1.5 to 1.7 lb average daily gain. Steers convert feed better than heifers and will gain weight better. They all went through a vaccination regimen immediately on receiving. Based on those numbers you can estimate your potential if the market holds steady. Look at valley vet to estimate your cost on supplies you decide on.

kenny thomas":sf1f5hz4 said:
Don't let us discourage you from enjoying the sale barn and cattle. A very small percentage there has the issues we talk about. Most there are fine. Just get good advice till you feel more confident.
Yeah I'm learning so I'm trying to get all the advice I can from you guys

okiek":3k7n8i7w said:
I run cows year round, but buy an additional 30 stocker calves every summer. I buy mid 4 to mid 5 weight calves in May and tend to sell October. Everyone talks about 2lb daily gains. Last year in southern OK with all the grass they could eat but no additional feed, mine gained 1.3 lbs a day. This year I'm going straight back to the sale barn with them in October, so I implanted them and changed mineral. On a good mineral program with implants, I'm hoping for 1.5 to 1.7 lb average daily gain. Steers convert feed better than heifers and will gain weight better. They all went through a vaccination regimen immediately on receiving. Based on those numbers you can estimate your potential if the market holds steady. Look at valley vet to estimate your cost on supplies you decide on.
thank you will do thanks for the advice

ddd75":66fveq17 said:
i always have done good with the bred cows, but haven't been able to get calves under 500 lbs to gain very well.
Yeah I'm leaning towards that and just selling them once they calf

I'll leave the salebarn buying aadvice to others, but be aware that tall grass isn't necessarily good grass. Depending on forage species, it may be far past its prime time in digestibility and palatibility

Lucky_P":1oikt6f4 said:
I'll leave the salebarn buying aadvice to others, but be aware that tall grass isn't necessarily good grass. Depending on forage species, it may be far past its prime time in digestibility and palatibility

Well said it's all about grass farming first.

kenny thomas":31izpjc8 said:
Also remember that if your seeing calves sell let's say for $1.25 a lb or bred cows got $850 when you start bidding they will be higher than that. Buyers and especially traders love an inexperienced person coming to a sale. They feel it's their duty to give them a lesson.

Very true statement see it all the time..

Bfields30, you have gotten some good advice here. Not every animal at a sale barn is a problem. I typically go to Van Zandt Commission on Saturdays. About another 25 to 30 miles for you. We are seeing some sell outs because the area
south and west of the barn has missed some of the rains. Come over some Saturday.

Bfields30, you have gotten some good advice here. Not every animal at a sale barn is a problem. I typically go to Van Zandt Commission on Saturdays. About another 25 to 30 miles for you. We are seeing some sell outs because the area
south and west of the barn has missed some of the rains. Come over some Saturday.

BC":1nz1us7p said:
Will do I'm going out of town this week but next Saturday I will

Latest posts