Sale Barn Monday

Help Support CattleToday:

joy now you know its a very bad idea to sell out all the way.because if you do youll be out 2yrs waiting for rain.an then cattle will go sky high.thus costing you big bucks to jump back into cattle.youve got alot of reg beefmasters that id hate to cull an sell for nothing.

houstoncutter":3e194kjk said:
Hate to say it but, it usually takes a hurricane to bust a drought
Even they aren't reliable any more. Hurricanes effects on the weather were: Rita - Hot Wind, Katrina - Hot Wind, Erin - Nothing, Dolly - Nothing, Eduardo - Wind + 2/10ths of an inch of rain, Gustov- Wind , Ike - Wind + 1 1/2 inches of rain. Total rainfall from 7 storms is less than 1 3/4 inches. Nothing drought busting about these storms up here. Have to go the the 80s and early 90s to find rain from of a hurricane.

Vett you forgot Ike. That was the last one. We were in the bullseye and all excited. It turned east. We got winds but absolutely not even a drop of rain. Poeple 50 miles east of us got rain. Not us.

1982vett":1nffi2lr said:
houstoncutter":1nffi2lr said:
Hate to say it but, it usually takes a hurricane to bust a drought
Even they aren't reliable any more. Hurricanes effects on the weather were: Rita - Hot Wind, Katrina - Hot Wind, Erin - Nothing, Dolly - Nothing, Eduardo - Wind + 2/10ths of an inch of rain, Gustov- Wind , Ike - Wind + 1 1/2 inches of rain. Total rainfall from 7 storms is less than 1 3/4 inches. Nothing drought busting about these storms up here. Have to go the the 80s and early 90s to find rain from of a hurricane.

Who could forget Ike. It was touted to be the drought buster that went bust but did supply the majority of rain for the summer. I did leave out Fay, really didn' get close enough to expect rain from it but it did seem to move things around and knock a good chance of rain out of the picture.

10-day forecast gives us a chance for some rain starting Sunday - Friday. Read forecasts like that for so long, I'm confident we might get some fog. :lol: But then the calendar is catching up again. Monday will be 30 days since we had the last rain (1/10 of an inch) :| Wind is blowin 15 - 25 as usuall so I don't expect much to come out of it other than pushing it out day by day.

:shock: :shock: :shock: If they ain't young and black............ :shock: :shock: :shock:
Good Charolais crosses with 2 month old calves... no bids as pairs at first.... several did bring $600. 1200 lb cows sold 33-38 cents. Don't know what the calves brought, didn't hang around that long. Black baby calves that used to bring $175 - $185 brought $90.

I wound up selling 3 pair. 1 Brangus pair sold for $740, calf was 32 days old. Another Brangus pair with a 3 1/2 month old bull calf was split, Cow brought $487 and the calf $385. Third pair was just a crossbred ranch cow with a heifer calf and was also 3 1/2 months old split out. Cow brought $400 (red cow) and calf brought $283 (heifer and had the reddish tint instead of being black). To red cows (supposed to be close to calving - NOT- got their pink slip) bought .44/lb. Sold my 7 year old brangus bull. Looked like he was starting to have problems walking. He weighed in at 1660 and brought 54.50 - $904.70. Looks like heifer calves are runing .15 - .20 cheaper then bull calves too. Oh, and longhonrs, 3 came thru 2 were bred and in good shape, could have bought all 3 for $575.

Now this bull never got agitated, raised a ruckus, nor was he ever threatening. I had brought a bull from another place and had it penned with some cows by the lot. They were sizing each other up. I got my bag of cubes and he and a few other cows followed me into the lot. I cut all but him and two cows out. Backed the trailer to the chute, ran him and the two cows in the crowding. Two cows went down the alley, I let them out. Opened up and let him down the chute, he walked on the trailer, I shut the gate. NO PROBLEM. Now the ride to town is about 6 miles, every thing is fine UNTIL...........I pull under the canopy to unload....... He comes unglued. Thought he was going to stomp the floor out before they got the back gate open. He gets off runs in the pen and turns around starts pawing and bellering to no end......did I say he was p-i-s-s-e-d? Must have put on a good show in the back before being run thru the ring to. Feller working the entry gate passed the "heads up" get the gates open and let 'em run signal. :)

1982vett":1ija0det said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: If they ain't young and black............ :shock: :shock: :shock:
Good Charolais crosses with 2 month old calves... no bids as pairs at first.... several did bring $600. 1200 lb cows sold 33-38 cents. Don't know what the calves brought, didn't hang around that long. Black baby calves that used to bring $175 - $185 brought $90.

I wound up selling 3 pair. 1 Brangus pair sold for $740, calf was 32 days old. Another Brangus pair with a 3 1/2 month old bull calf was split, Cow brought $487 and the calf $385. Third pair was just a crossbred ranch cow with a heifer calf and was also 3 1/2 months old split out. Cow brought $400 (red cow) and calf brought $283 (heifer and had the reddish tint instead of being black). To red cows (supposed to be close to calving - NOT- got their pink slip) bought .44/lb. Sold my 7 year old brangus bull. Looked like he was starting to have problems walking. He weighed in at 1660 and brought 54.50 - $904.70. Looks like heifer calves are runing .15 - .20 cheaper then bull calves too. Oh, and longhonrs, 3 came thru 2 were bred and in good shape, could have bought all 3 for $575.

Now this bull never got agitated, raised a ruckus, nor was he ever threatening. I had brought a bull from another place and had it penned with some cows by the lot. They were sizing each other up. I got my bag of cubes and he and a few other cows followed me into the lot. I cut all but him and two cows out. Backed the trailer to the chute, ran him and the two cows in the crowding. Two cows went down the alley, I let them out. Opened up and let him down the chute, he walked on the trailer, I shut the gate. NO PROBLEM. Now the ride to town is about 6 miles, every thing is fine UNTIL...........I pull under the canopy to unload....... He comes unglued. Thought he was going to stomp the floor out before they got the back gate open. He gets off runs in the pen and turns around starts pawing and bellering to no end......did I say he was p-i-s-s-e-d? Must have put on a good show in the back before being run thru the ring to. Feller working the entry gate passed the "heads up" get the gates open and let 'em run signal. :)

If it's like our sale barn, they probably hit him with the hot shock as you were backing up just to get him ready. Went to the sale Monday and I don't think a single animal came through that didn't get hit with the hot shock as they opened the door to the ring. If we couldn't handle our animals better than that, I'd just quit. No wonder calves will shrink 8-10% from the time they leave the farm.

[/quote]
If it's like our sale barn, they probably hit him with the hot shock as you were backing up just to get him ready. Went to the sale Monday and I don't think a single animal came through that didn't get hit with the hot shock as they opened the door to the ring. If we couldn't handle our animals better than that, I'd just quit. No wonder calves will shrink 8-10% from the time they leave the farm.[/quote]

thats what pi$$es me off BIG TIME.
i spent enough time around my cattle so they are gentle.
not pets but easy to handle and work without a problem.
then some wannabe cowboy goat roper at the sale barn wants to play cowboy and abuses all the cattle that he come in contact with, chasing them around with his horse, practicing his cutting, swing his rope and etc.
cause he thinks he's a real cowboy now.

if i knew of a better way to sell my calves that would not cause stress (for that matter i buy stocker calves and stress related illness is a real problem for me)
i'd never use the sale barn again.
i quit using one sale barn for that very reason, but the one i use now really aint no better.

gberry":2a244zmo said:
If it's like our sale barn, they probably hit him with the hot shock as you were backing up just to get him ready. Went to the sale Monday and I don't think a single animal came through that didn't get hit with the hot shock as they opened the door to the ring. If we couldn't handle our animals better than that, I'd just quit. No wonder calves will shrink 8-10% from the time they leave the farm.
No, not the case this time. The sale barn I use has a covered alley you pull into. A gate on either side swings and is chained to the trailer. No backing up unless you are loading out.

The sale barn I go to has started using high pressure air instead of the shockers for the most part. Don't know if the animal rights folks got to them, or if they're just trying to please us complainers. :lol2: They use a long wand with a little piece of hose on the end. The hissing of the air seems to work just about as well as the shockers.

If it's like our sale barn, they probably hit him with the hot shock as you were backing up just to get him ready. Went to the sale Monday and I don't think a single animal came through that didn't get hit with the hot shock as they opened the door to the ring. If we couldn't handle our animals better than that, I'd just quit. No wonder calves will shrink 8-10% from the time they leave the farm.[/quote]

thats what pi$$es me off BIG TIME.
i spent enough time around my cattle so they are gentle.
not pets but easy to handle and work without a problem.
then some wannabe cowboy goat roper at the sale barn wants to play cowboy and abuses all the cattle that he come in contact with, chasing them around with his horse, practicing his cutting, swing his rope and etc.
cause he thinks he's a real cowboy now.

if i knew of a better way to sell my calves that would not cause stress (for that matter i buy stocker calves and stress related illness is a real problem for me)
i'd never use the sale barn again.
i quit using one sale barn for that very reason, but the one i use now really aint no better.[/quote]
I understand what you are saying. Our cows are the same way. Not pets ,but very gentle. We never use a hot shot on any of our calves or cows. It's hard bringing home a calf from the sale barn. They have been thru so much . Takened away from their mama's,chased by a bunch of yahoos yelling screaming and zapping 'em. It takes me a few days but some will calm down. Some will never calm back down,those I will take back and resale
Most of the time any time you work cattle or load them that starts their stress level to go up. I do agree however some sale barns let their workers go over board with the hot shots. The one sale I go to on mondays got a bunch of new yahoos working. They will shock them coming and going which is insane. Yes I have seen some fairly mean cows that probably needs it. But what tears me up is when of these old old cows comes thru and they just keep hitting her. Then by some chance she'll go down. Well,idiots that's their fault. All because the poor ol thing doesn't move fast enough.
I like to watch man that has been at the Karnes City sale barn. All he uses is a whip and his voice. That's it and he is amazing with them. I stand there alot and just watch him bring up.

Latest posts