Sage Brush

Help Support CattleToday:

Flatbroke

Reaction score
I have some I think it is silver sage, but it might be big sage that grows in my pasture along the drive into the homestead. It is getting thicker. There is a lot of it on the rest of the ranch as well. What herbicide would kill the sage and not the grass under it. I have cut it down with hand shears and it just seems to make it mad and it coms back thicker. Help! :cowboy:

Craig, I suspect flatbroke's talking about actual sagebrush - Artemisia tridentata - not broomsedge (yeah, we mangled the name to broomsage down in UCLA, too) - Andropogon virginicus.
Different critter altogether.
I have no idea if liming will affect broom sage - or if fb's soils need lime. Seems like it prefers alkaline soil from the outset.

Lucky_P":12ay8toy said:
Craig, I suspect flatbroke's talking about actual sagebrush - Artemisia tridentata - not broomsedge (yeah, we mangled the name to broomsage down in UCLA, too) - Andropogon virginicus.
Different critter altogether.
I have no idea if liming will affect broom sage - or if fb's soils need lime. Seems like it prefers alkaline soil from the outset.

Okay. I had a feeling he was talking about something different than I was but I only know about the one kind of sage that we have here.

If I were to guess, he probably has a sagebrush similar to ours, if it's sagebrush.. I found watering it kills it, and it doesn't like the brushhog either... there is another sage-like thing around here too, but perhaps that's the broomsedge?

Latest posts