Safeguard Cubes Taste Bad??

Help Support CattleToday:

damengineer

Reaction score
Since I have too many catttle and too little help, I try to get mine wormed with Safeguard cubes. Last time I used them I poured waffle syrup over the cubes in the feeders to get them to eat them all. It worked. Within a day they were gone. With the drought, my beardless triticale is not worth cutting, so I turned the ccows in on it. I had noticed many of them scratching their bellies, so I figured they needed worming since it had been over a year since the last ivomec. I got the proper number of bags (over $300 worth now) and 3 1/2 jugs of waffle syrup. Then when ready I called them over with a bucket and watched as a very few licked the cubes and turned around. One pain in the ass cow I have that has only riased 4 calves in 8 years ( one of my wife's pasture ornaments because she is a pretty cow ) seems to lead the bunch many times. Just licked on the cubes then walked over to a bare spot and started pawing the dirt! Cubes have been out there 2 days now and they have not been touched., Looks like I threw away $300+. do you have to starve them to it.

I've only used them twice but never had any problem getting mine to scarf up every last morsel of those Safegard cubes.
Were your cows used to (addicted to) eating regular cubes already?

Last time I used them I poured waffle syrup over the cubes in the feeders to get them to eat them all. It worked. I got the proper number of bags (over $300 worth now) and 3 1/2 jugs of waffle syrup.
Last time you allowed them to try them before the waffle syrup trick.
This time you started with waffle syrup on them.
Not to worry.... $400 of Vermont Maple Syrup should do the trick. :) lol

Mine wouldn't eat them plain, either. I had a small batch of calves at a rental farm. They were used to bulk feed. I had to mix with feed for them to eat it. They would mouth it and dump it out. That was the only time I tried using it.

It took 4 days but they finally ate it. I think I wormed a few coons and some coyotes too....

I used them once. Never again. The boss cows ate most of them, some cows got none. The timid cows that got none were most probably the ones that needed worming.
To me they are only good for a cow or bull that is penned where you no they get the proper amount.

If I could get the labor to help, pour on would be much cheaper. Equipment problems has me screwed on getting rid of some cows. Ipicked up a bumper pull trailer last month to use behind my pickup and thin out the herd. Trailer had a nice rubber floor, and I though it was a good price. It doesn't have enough cross members with that rubber floor to support. The cross members are riding on the axles. Just more work. I got the trailer for the price of a new rubber floor..

Used them as a backup on the second farm with bad facilities. Same results. Had to quarantine off a few at a time and mix it with sweet feed to even get them to take it. Some flat refused. By the time I was done, figured I'd been better off just hauling them to other farm and deworming them there with injectable.

Do you have a pinch point so where you could pour on dewormer?

I called a group of cattle in to the pens a couple days ago with cubes. As they ate them up I stood at the gate and shot fly spray on them as they "walked" out. I do that same routine regularly to get a count or Ill let cows out I don't need before working them. They are use to it. I found a fly spray gun that has some pretty good distance on it and Ive been very happy with it.

Do you have a pinch point so where you could pour on dewormer?

I called a group of cattle in to the pens a couple days ago with cubes. As they ate them up I stood at the gate and shot fly spray on them as they "walked" out. I do that same routine regularly to get a count or Ill let cows out I don't need before working them. They are use to it. I found a fly spray gun that has some pretty good distance on it and Ive been very happy with it.
What gun are you using? I have been using a two gallon pump sprayer.

Ill look at the brand this evening. Its not one you mix. You buy it in 1g jug or whatever and they give you the gun with it. It actually came with 2 tips. One tip is a straight pattern that shoots pretty far. The other tip fans it out for like walking down a chute, close range. Like changing chokes in your shotgun. :LOL:

I was going to keep the jug and gun to spray what ever I wanted out of it. The wormer guns all spray to big off a pattern for that application.

Pump sprayers work good, a back pack sprayer too, as long as ya don't try to get in the alley with them. Even my wife could use the pump up 2 gal sprayer. She sprayed in the alleyway thru the panels while I was doing other things with them at the head gate.

Pump sprayers work good, a back pack sprayer too, as long as ya don't try to get in the alley with them. Even my wife could use the pump up 2 gal sprayer. She sprayed in the alleyway thru the panels while I was doing other things with them at the head gate.
I am not brave enough to put on a backpack sprayer in a confined space with cattle.
That scenario reminds me of once in the winter, it was a muddy mess and one of my boots got stuck in the mud. Just about that time, a bull decided to get amorous with a cow right next to me. Let's just say that my adrenalin was raised for a few hours after that.

Last edited:
Cylence is a great product! Has a good applicator too. We used it for years, but we finally had to switch to something else.

Cylence is a great product! Has a good applicator too. We used it for years, but we finally had to switch to something else.
The active ingredient is Cyfluthrin at 1%. What are the other 99% ingredients? Just wondering because I'm always interested in a great fly-spray, although my permethrin/corn oil concoction is working well. For now!

Latest posts