sack after castration

Help Support CattleToday:

TLM1988

Reaction score
Hey yall i recently bought 6 weaned steers from a family friend that was overstocked. He uses/used the small bands on his bull calves usually a week after birth. On two of the bigger ones that i purchased it seems like there is still a sack there. these steers are close to 5 1/2 months old. I had a steer do this once before and i was sure that it was from improper banding and that there was a nut still there. after putting him in the chute it was just fluid no testicle to be found/felt. Im looking for some feedback on what yall think.. I cant get these 6 to the chute anytime soon as the mud has taken over. Thanks!!

Years ago we cut them in a way that showed a lot of a fat sac as they grew? At the time it was the "thing" that the buyers seemed to want. Cant remember the term for it though.

kenny thomas said:
Years ago we cut them in a way that showed a lot of a fat sac as they grew? At the time it was the "thing" that the buyers seemed to want. Cant remember the term for it though.
Its called a "cod". Should fill with fat as steer finishes and is a great way to help decide if one is ready for slaughter.

Boot Jack Bulls said:
kenny thomas said:
Its called a "cod". Should fill with fat as steer finishes and is a great way to help decide if one is ready for slaughter.
Yes that's it. It was very popular in the show calves to show they were finished.

It sure looks like theres still a testie in there.. If it ever dries up where i can get em ill know for sure.. Thanks for the replies

If he bands at a week after they are born,the bag should be long gone.I would check to see if they are still intact since the band may have broken or if he just pushed the testicles up and banded below.Not saying he did but I'd check.Either way you are going to need to fix it.
I they are "short banded" someone is going to be doing some surgery.
My :2cents:

kenny thomas said:
I should have read that they were banded. Not the same look at all.

Latest posts