rye grass

Help Support CattleToday:

xbred":1ttjyn2v said:
is 11 sacks enough for 27 acres?

that's 20# to an acre is plenty if your grass is real short and you can see the soil. I just planted 25# to acre because my grass 6" 8" tall. some seed will get hung up and wont get to the soil. I always try to plant right before a rain and it will help wash the seeds in contact with the dirt. I broadcast mine sunday and we have a steady rain this morning.

we made the 11 sacks cover it.but couldve used 4 more sacks to really cover it good.

We use 15lbs per acer of rye grass if planted with oats or rye. If planted alone in sod we use 30lbs per acer

All I can find is annual ryegrass online anywhere... Anyone send me a link for where to look for perinneal rye that is supposed to be pastured? Most perinneal rye that I have found is made with increased toxins for golf courses..ect. Anyone with suggestions?

machslammer":2se3bidd said:
All I can find is annual ryegrass online anywhere... Anyone send me a link for where to look for perinneal rye that is supposed to be pastured? Most perinneal rye that I have found is made with increased toxins for golf courses..ect. Anyone with suggestions?
Perinneal ryegrass acts like an annual in the south and will die off. You would be just as well off to plant annual ryegrass because the seed is cheaper.

Oh i see...well dang...what's a good seed to put in with fescue for more protein that's acts like fescue as far as growth and can take a beating with cattle grazing it April to oct? Fescue fine just wanted something with more protein to it. Heard rye good but don't want it just for winter.. Thanks.

Latest posts