rye grass

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
my brother went an picked up 11 sacks of marshell rye grass this morning at $28/50lbs.so we are going to plant 27acs to give the cows some grazing after jan.i was going to get TAM 90 rye grass but every1 was sold out.

We planted marshall rye two years ago and last fall. It was great for grazing, and we made some fantastic hay with it (won the hay show at our district fair with it). I am concerned about the longevity, since the pasture we planted two years ago does not seem to be coming back in. But we would gladly replant it!

Fire Sweep Ranch":3l8bl9xt said:
We planted marshall rye two years ago and last fall. It was great for grazing, and we made some fantastic hay with it (won the hay show at our district fair with it). I am concerned about the longevity, since the pasture we planted two years ago does not seem to be coming back in. But we would gladly replant it!

Marshall is an annual ryegrass, not a perennial. It is a very good volunteer reseeder though. Manage it for volunteer and you should have it forever.

Texas PaPaw":2k2j8ylp said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":2k2j8ylp said:

Marshall is an annual ryegrass, not a perennial. It is a very good volunteer reseeder though. Manage it for volunteer and you should have it forever.

That is what we tried to do. We were told if we pulled the cows off in May, and did not cut or graze until after June 15th, it would reseed itself. There are fields out here that have been Marshall Rye for several years, and not replanted. I plan on trying again, because it was excellent forage!

Firesweep,

It does make excellent hay and great winter forage. We planted it last fall and the cows never looked better coming through the winter. They actually gained some weight because we had somewhat of a drought last summer. We had 15 cows and fed about 25 rolls last winter, if we would have fertilized it again when we caught a warm spell we wouldn't have had to feed any. Winters in West TN have been somewhat mild for this area the last couple of years so rye has done well growing. Looking at the benefits of grazing it as well as baling it in the spring we came out a little less than buying hay. This way we know what we have and get the added benefit of conditioning the cows in winter time when they need it or backgrounding calves if they don't. Just the way we have done it for a couple of seasons.

OldCrow

we are planning on planting some rye grass every year for a few years.im hoping we get a good stand this spring.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3g307qvo said:
Texas PaPaw":3g307qvo said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":3g307qvo said:

That is what we tried to do. We were told if we pulled the cows off in May, and did not cut or graze until after June 15th, it would reseed itself. There are fields out here that have been Marshall Rye for several years, and not replanted. I plan on trying again, because it was excellent forage!

Have found when grazing Marshall in the spring, it is next to impossible to keep it from heading and reseeding. Suppose it might be possible, if it were so overstocked that it was kept grazed absolutely to the ground until it died in the summer. Wouldn't worry about reasonably grazing it continuously and not reseeding as making seed becomes it's sole purpose in life when the right time comes. Possible that haying at just the right/wrong time could hinder it's reseeding but most hay fields I've seen reseeded just fine.

Went out and checked on mine today and it's sprouting. It's even sprouting in the bed of my truck! Just hope the vetch and clover do as well.

slick4591":198pkxvh said:
Went out and checked on mine today and it's sprouting. It's even sprouting in the bed of my truck! Just hope the vetch and clover do as well.
Aint that true! Chit will grow in the barn before it grows in the field! Go figure! Time to bag up some soil test for TAMU j suppose.....

Mine is poking it's head up too.

(I decided one year, with about 1/2 a hopper of seed left over, to broadcast it in the yard around the house so we could see some green in January. Good Lord!! Came up EVERYWHERE!! In the flowerbeds, under the house, in the dog pen, In the driveway, between the risers on the steps, in the roses, clogged the ditches up. I was mowing my lawn all winter long--------------never ever again will I do that)

slick4591":2pqpv39v said:

Don't spill your beer or it will be sprouting int he floor board. ;-) ;-)

TexasBred":xrrnj7u3 said:
slick4591":xrrnj7u3 said:

Don't spill your beer or it will be sprouting int he floor board. ;-) ;-)

Guess I better get that cleaned up pretty quick. :lol:

I overseed both my farm yard and yard in town with perennial rye. It is a finer texture and a little slower growing. The yard sure looks nice at Thanksgiving and Christmas. And yeah I do have to mow it weekly. I put out a thousand pounds of annual seed on my pasture.

I have been working with the university of Florida on what to plant this is what I came up with

horizon 201 oats
Florida 401 rye
Early ploid rye grass over seeding with bahaya (3 to 4 week earlier maturing)
Prime rye grass mixed with the rye and oats.

I guess we will see if it works. This is the first year I'm planting most of the farm sure hope it does well.

What is the name of the perinneal Rye? Been wondering if it would grow here in middle TN, and give a better protein to compliment the fescue year round? They say it grows like fescue and is as hardy so it stands up to grazing if you can get it started growing...

I buy my perennial rye from Home Depot for my lawns. It is Pennington brand, but about 50% higher than annual. It does not act like a perennial grass in my region.

I cut, rolled and wrapped Marshall Ryegrass and crimson clover around April 20th. It tested 15% protein and scored 110 on the feed value. I put out a couple of rolls yesterday and it looks and smells great. The cows thought so too.I cut it about 4 1/2 to 5 inches high and it was ready to cut again in 28 days.Second cutting will make about 1/2 to 2/3 of what the first one does.

Latest posts