??? runny nose

Help Support CattleToday:

cagle520

Reaction score
I have some weaning calves that i checked this morning and one of them has yellow/green mucas. I was told could be pneumonia(spelling?). What does he need?

In my opinion, the calf needs to have a vet confirm it's pneumonia, and treat it accordingly. Giving it a shot of LA200 or Tylosin, or whatever med you can buy over the counter isn't gonna do the trick.

Take the calf to the vet and ask him/her to look at it...check it's temp....listen to it's lungs. That way he/she will know what to treat with.

And, don't wait to do it...tomorrow would be good. Left untreated, pneumonia/respiratory illness can worsen quickly and you'll either have a dead calf or one that will never do well.

While you are there at the vet's, ask if you can buy a bottle of whatever he uses to treat the calf so you can keep it on hand....how to use it...what to look for to use it, etc. Establish a good rapport with the vet...it will definitely make life easier and less stressful.

Also, if you are weaning the calves from a bottle, put the calf back on the bottle. I've seen calves that were weaned a bit too early develop respiratory illness...which is why I keep my bottle babies on milk replacer lots longer than most.

AND, as always when a calf is sick or being treated with antibiotics, give probios!

Just my 2 cents...and let us know what you find out, ok? :)

Alice

I would get out my thermometer check temp on this calf.If over 102.5 treat for respiratory disease.Add AS700 to the feed of all calves double rate for 7 to 10 days.If calves have not been vaccinated do that with something like vista once and again in 14 days.

Larry

larryshoat":fpijos65 said:
I would get out my thermometer check temp on this calf.If over 102.5 treat for respiratory disease.Add AS700 to the feed of all calves double rate for 7 to 10 days.If calves have not been vaccinated do that with something like vista once and again in 14 days.

Larry

You're dead on. Check temp. Only thing to add is that if he is sick, isolate him from everything else. Common drinking water spreads things quick.

cagle520":8juucyn9 said:
I have some weaning calves that i checked this morning and one of them has yellow/green mucas. I was told could be pneumonia(spelling?). What does he need?
Are these bottle calves or did they come off cows ? I just had a 3rd round with calves off the cows. If it is green snots ,more than likely it is an infection. Our vet says stress causes alot of the problem. So does dust,all of the bawling they do for their moms.
I don't even mess with taking temps. I go ahead and load them up and take them to the vet. By the time I see one with green stuff. I figure everyone else is already infected.
The vet will give them all of their shots while they are there and if I'm not mistakened I think he gives them a shot of Dectomax for congestion.
As Alice said it is not something to let go.Treat them ASAP. And remember to give them probios.

Latest posts