3 week old bull calf with runny eyes

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Hi all! I am seeking advice. I have a Hereford Bull Calf that was born on Feb 29th. Long story short - I purchased 10 head from someone who had inherited the cattle, so he was born at that location, and we transported mama and calf home a few days after he was born. Upon picking them up, I did notice that he had goopy eyes and the previous owner told me he had noticed him cough. He's 3 weeks old now and I have thought back and forth on giving him some Oxytetracycline Injectable (I have something similar to LA-200, but it is the 300mg dose, so less ml to administer). He is doing well, runs and plays with the other calf but he seems to spend a lot of time laying down too. I don't notice a cough unless he nurses and it's very rare I hear him cough. But his eyes are still runny and just look like they have a dirty ring around them. What do you suggest? Do you think it would benefit to administer the Oxytetracycline? I have waited to casterate him (banding), because I want to make sure he's otherwise healthy.

He is sick. Do you have a veterinarian? I would consult with them about the best way to treat him. There are a lot of prescription antibiotics that work better than LA-300.

If you can't or don't want to ask a vet id give him some antibiotics and vitamin a&d injection if you have some and are worried. It won't hurt. If the calf is easy to handle give it a check over. Check it's temp and feel it's navel. It's navel should feel soft not hard like a bullet.

Calves lay down and sleep a lot.

If you know how they behave, and he is otherwise behaving normally, i would just monitor for change, if your able you can check temp.

My vets wont treat just because of a cough and runny eyes, they have to be being impacted further.

There is an issue with using too much anti biotic and some meds can have other side effects, essentially, use only when you have too, which applies to humans too.

I have a couple with cough and eye discharge, they have grown better than some with no symptoms, but when obviously sick, act asap.

Get in an enclosed area with him minus mum, got to get temp, if your able to pretty easily get hold of him, he is pretty sick......

Maybe you will give him a few anti-toxins and nutrient a&d infusion on the off chance that you have a few and are concerned?

Thanks all for the replies! He's a healthy 2 month old Steer Calf now. I did get some antibiotic eye ointment and that cleared up his eyes no problem. I guess I didn't realize how much newborn calves sleep! Thanks again so much.

Yeah, they sleep a lot for first few months especially when belly is full.

If/when you wake him, look for when he stretches, if he gets up and stretches, he was asleep, not laying with pain or an issue, they can do this for quite some time....

Latest posts