Running low on hay for cows help.

Help Support CattleToday:

AKE

Reaction score
I think I have enough hay to last until the middle of March or possibly the end of March depending on the weather. It hasn't been to kind to my hay pile of late though. Needing a idea to help supplement the cows to try and stretch my hay pile out. Big bales are scarce around here and pushing 100 bale and I feel like there would be a better solution. Thanks

You'll get varied answers, but I'm in the same canoe. I've been limit feeding hay, and started putting out DDG. Came in yesterday, and it was raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock, and temps heading to the teens. I sat out 4 rolls, and they were gone by this afternoon. Makes me think they aren't getting enough.

Caustic Burno had a good ration that he used back during the drought. Don't remember what I was. Cottonseed meal and salt I think. Maybe he will chime in or you could PM him.

That will run 310 a ton at my feed mill in a super sack about 340 in 50 pound sacks.
Cows will consume 5 to 6 pounds a day.
When you first put it out they will go through more the first few days. Then they will back off to the above pounds.
Do not run out or they will repeat the process.

Where are you located; can you accept bulk feed , in north east Texas you can get from LNC ( livestock nutritional center) Foreman Arkansas delivered plus or minus $250 a ton with minerals based on what you prefer: they will blend what you need .... good people . Ask for Jennifer as she is this area contact person hope this helps

I've got enough hay to get me through end of April my pastures normally start coming in 1/2 way through March so I'm crossing my fingers nothing stupid happens. I pulled my cows off rye grass last week and hit it with fertilizer it's coming back quick I'm hoping to get 1 more good grazing off it before spring pasture starts coming back

You can feed them a commodity mix and get them through just fine. Really need troughs to feed it though. If you have a local mill give them a call. Probably have to feed 12# a day but will be cheaper than hay.

DCA farm said:
I've got enough hay to get me through end of April my pastures normally start coming in 1/2 way through March so I'm crossing my fingers nothing stupid happens. I pulled my cows off rye grass last week and hit it with fertilizer it's coming back quick I'm hoping to get 1 more good grazing off it before spring pasture starts coming back

Where are you located DCA?

Around here a lot of people inject liquid feed into junk bales, even straw, but I don't know how much it costs (break even or pencil out?). We supplement with 20% protein cubes (also called range nuggets) and a 30% protein tub.

sstterry said:
DCA farm said:

Where are you located DCA?
South west Louisiana

Thanks for the input. I live in West Central Missouri. I thought I had enough hay until a foot of snow and some ice storms. May try the ration but put soybean meal in it instead of cotton seed. Nobody really sells cottonseed meal around here

AKE said:
Thanks for the input. I live in West Central Missouri. I thought I had enough hay until a foot of snow and some ice storms. May try the ration but put soybean meal in it instead of cotton seed. Nobody really sells cottonseed meal around here

My cows don't like soybean meal but love cotton seed meal you might can try Cubes on them my feed dealer recommends their cubes to people short on hay.

I have been feeding rolled oats to supplement one custom herd. The hay tested low for energy and good for protein, so the oats provide the energy that keeps the hay use in check.

Lucky said:
You can feed them a commodity mix and get them through just fine. Really need troughs to feed it though. If you have a local mill give them a call. Probably have to feed 12# a day but will be cheaper than hay.
When you say "commodity mix" exactly what is it.

TexasBred said:
Lucky said:

Ideally it would be whatever is cheapest and meets your needs. I've fed several mixes but this year it's 45% cracked corn, 20% linseed, 10% WCS, 10% soyhulls, 10% DDG, and mineral pack with mollasses to keep the dust down. Kind of long way to get there but seems to be working good and the cost hasn't gone up. I really like the WSC compared to hulls. The hulls bridge over too bad in the feeder and for whatever reason the price seems to vary on it. I'm guessing availability but who really knows.

Lucky said:
TexasBred said:
Lucky said:

Ideally it would be whatever is cheapest and meets your needs. I've fed several mixes but this year it's 45% cracked corn, 20% linseed, 10% WCS, 10% soyhulls, 10% DDG, and mineral pack with mollasses to keep the dust down. Kind of long way to get there but seems to be working good and the cost hasn't gone up. I really like the WSC compared to hulls. The hulls bridge over too bad in the feeder and for whatever reason the price seems to vary on it. I'm guessing availability but who really knows.
Didn't run any numbers on it but should be plenty high in energy with a lot of protein as well. First time I think I've ever seen linseed meal or whole linseed mixed into a cattle feed in Texas. I would make a couple of changes but if it's working what the heck. Mind if I ask who mixes this for you Lucky??

TexasBred said:
Lucky said:
TexasBred said:

Didn't run any numbers on it but should be plenty high in energy with a lot of protein as well. First time I think I've ever seen linseed meal or whole linseed mixed into a cattle feed in Texas. I would make a couple of changes but if it's working what the heck. Mind if I ask who mixes this for you Lucky??

I sent you a PM. I'm always open too suggestions if you can think of anything. I've never fed linseed before but it seems to be working. This mix is 16% protien which is probably a little high for what I'm feeding this year.

Latest posts