RUN DOWN COW

Help Support CattleToday:

gerardplauche

Reaction score
I have a Brangus cow that had her first calf about 3 months ago. She started looking shabby a few weeks ago. She has lost a lot of weight and has long hair still, which makes me think it is worms. I seperated her and gave her antibiotics and worm medicine. Put her on feed also. No luck so far.

Any thoughts?

Gerald....with a calf nursing it may take quite a while for her to regain body condition. Probably all the way to weaning. Most of the feed you're giving her is probably going to milk production so you should have a good calf anyway.

If you have them on a worming schedule, it is most likely the calf. Like TB said it may take awhile, a couple of weeks of feed isn't enough time to see much if any improvement. Make sure she has some good loose mineral blended for your area. I had a first time calver last year with the same deal. I used a dairy ration suggested by the local feed shop. Someone may want to weigh in here with how much feed you want to give her and what mix.

gerardplauche":1wal6ds4 said:
I have a Brangus cow that had her first calf about 3 months ago. She started looking shabby a few weeks ago. She has lost a lot of weight and has long hair still, which makes me think it is worms. I seperated her and gave her antibiotics and worm medicine. Put her on feed also. No luck so far.

Any thoughts?

What kind of wormer, and what dose? Might consider following up with a different type of wormer, and/or having a fecal done to make sure you're not dealing with a type of worm that is not killed by the wormer you used.

Thanks for the input. I had treated her twice with Safe-Guard worm pellets. Had the vet come out last week and gave her a shot. Not sure what it was, but I know it cost me $125 :shock: He said to take the calf off of her early and to keep her on the cotton seed and corn for another two weeks. I am starting to see some weight gain, but she is still far from her usual weight. Good news is, she has all of her energry back.

The calf looks REALLY good. I'm selling him to a neighbor as a potential replacement herd bull - Brangus. As a correction to my earlier post, the calf is 6 months, not 3.

How hot is it there? It was 97 degrees here today. Aint no way in hades I'd be feeding anything as hot as cotton seed in these kind of temps. Be careful.

Cottonseed will be fine. The other cows eat it fine with no problems. Jst one of those things I guess, I'll watch and see what happens. She is starting to gain slowly.

Latest posts