Rumensin

Help Support CattleToday:

It is in pellets often available here, for young calves to weaners. If fed as reccomended dose will be effective rate.

I am unable to give any comparison on groups fed without it, but am sure if it was useless cpmpanies would cut it to save money.

We use it if our feedlot 40 supplement from Purina, for our fat cattle. It's an intake limiter, so it helps combat acidosis. It works pretty good if you have consistent intake. You can get it with or without MGA. As a 40% it's about the same price as a 34% all natural.
Some protein blocks/tubs use of as a limiter.

Don't let any equine get near it. Rumensin will kill a horse quicker than a bullet.

I use it when I make my own feed. Was told I needed it because I use corn for the majority of my feed. I know a 50 lb bag of it is like $640

5S Cattle said:
I use it when I make my own feed. Was told I needed it because I use corn for the majority of my feed. I know a 50 lb bag of it is like $640

That must be straight rum. A fifty lb bag of feedlot 40 is around $17.00/bag. Feed 1lb/Hd/day.

SBMF 2015 said:
5S Cattle said:

That must be straight rum. A fifty lb bag of feedlot 40 is around $17.00/bag. Feed 1lb/Hd/day.

Yes I put about 12 oz's into 3500lbs

SBMF 2015 said:
We use it if our feedlot 40 supplement from Purina, for our fat cattle. It's an intake limiter, so it helps combat acidosis. It works pretty good if you have consistent intake. You can get it with or without MGA. As a 40% it's about the same price as a 34% all natural.

Don't let any equine get near it. Rumensin will kill a horse quicker than a bullet.
Rumensin (Monensin) is not an intake limiter but an inophore used for the prevention of coccidiosis. Additionally it increases the utilization of feed resulting in improved weight gains. Also approved to be fed to dairy cattle in a TMR. Most feed lots will use it as well. Only negative is the cost which is just shy of $10 a pound with inclusion rate being from 10 to 200 gm/ton depending on purpose. It does contain a warning for horses but I've seen a many a donkey eating with the goats and many if not most of the higher quality goat rations contain "Rumensin". Maybe donkey's are not affected. :lol2:

We have it added to our mineral to act as a coccidiostat. It and Bio Moss and a vaccination program and scours are very limited.

SBMF 2015 said:

Can you post a tag of your supplement that has both MGA & Ru in it?

TexasBred said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Rumensin (Monensin) is not an intake limiter but an inophore used for the prevention of coccidiosis. Additionally it increases the utilization of feed resulting in improved weight gains. Also approved to be fed to dairy cattle in a TMR. Most feed lots will use it as well. Only negative is the cost which is just shy of $10 a pound with inclusion rate being from 10 to 200 gm/ton depending on purpose. It does contain a warning for horses but I've seen a many a donkey eating with the goats and many if not most of the higher quality goat rations contain "Rumensin". Maybe donkey's are not affected. :lol2:
Our goat rations almost almost always have rumesin in them.....and my horses have eaten it before with no ill effect......

TexasBred said:
Rumensin (Monensin) is not an intake limiter but an inophore used for the prevention of coccidiosis.

This is my understanding.

It also goes by many different names, basically, makes it medicated feed.

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/beef/bovatec.aspx

TexasBred said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Must be like my horse's, they eat haygrazer, klien grass, large amounts wsc and wcs.
One time they got in the barn and ate a considerable amount of urea that was dumped in a pile on the concrete. I thought finally I've gotten rid of those old nags. They never even broke a sweat.

Urea won't hurt them, they just can't absorb it so it has no benefit to horses.
I've never had expensive horses, just ones that do their job. Mine eat round bales of grass hay that sits out side. But I bet if you showed a bag of rum to a $10,000 horse he'd drop dead from looking at it.

greggy said:
TexasBred said:
Rumensin (Monensin) is not an intake limiter but an inophore used for the prevention of coccidiosis.

This is my understanding.

It also goes by many different names, basically, makes it medicated feed.

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/beef/bovatec.aspx

I guess technically you might call it an antibiotic but it does not fall under the VFD. BTW Bovatec and Rumensin or two very different products with similar applications.

There are quite a few that do same thing with different names. Mainly to help control coccidiosis was my belief.

I have not dug into it too far to know much about them.

I was told once that the BVT worked better for younger calves and the RUM worked better for larger cattle, like yearlings and things. Not sure why or if it's true, but that's just what I heard. I use RUM in my steers that I fatten up for beef.

Indications for use for Monensin(Rumensin) is for prevention and control of coccidiosis
Indications for use for Bovatec (Lasalosid Sodium) is for control of coccidiosis

Womb to Tomb is what i always hear. It is in all our mineral year around. It is in the feed the weaned calves eat. Makes the feed more efficient. Seen a few dead horses from it not here or mine.

Latest posts