Grain and Rumensin Mix

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I had a new grain mix made, and asked for 4.5 pounds of Rumensin-10 per ton. I ordered two tons.
When the mix was made, the total weight of the feed mix was 4806. and only 9 pounds of Rumensin was added.

In order to get the full benefit of the Rumensin, how many pounds of this feed am I going to have to feed? The Rumensin was watered down more than I wanted. When I asked about the analysis of the Rumensin 10 and how much per pound he figured it to be, he said 19mg per pound. Does he mean 1.9mg per pound? Straighten me out TexasBred!!! I know you can do it.

Your entire mix has 90 grams/ton of Rumensin or 95,000 mg. in the total mix

90,000/4806 = 18.73 mg of Rumensin in each pound of feed.

Good deal TexasBred. I appreciate you clearing that up. When he called me back, I was in the middle of the calves, with a bucket in each hand; calves trying to steal grain and trying to remember what he said.

What is the minimim daily dosage of Rumensin that a cow needs to make this product work correctly?

Chuckie":18sw17f6 said:
Good deal TexasBred. I appreciate you clearing that up. When he called me back, I was in the middle of the calves, with a bucket in each hand; calves trying to steal grain and trying to remember what he said.

What is the minimim daily dosage of Rumensin that a cow needs to make this product work correctly?

Why are you asking after you have already purchased the feed. :hide:

mwj":1wotk9m3 said:
Chuckie":1wotk9m3 said:

Why are you asking after you have already purchased the feed. :hide:
Perhaps to determine feeding level. :shock: Perhaps she's also wondering how a feed company could be 20% off on their weighing of ingredients which diluted the Rumensin...........Chuckie it can vary greatly from 50 mg all the way up to 500 mgs. Rumensin is very safe so no worry about overfeeding it. Just feed them the amount of feed you want them to have and they'll do great.

TexasBred":2xhm5s6f said:
Your entire mix has 90 grams/ton of Rumensin or 95,000 mg. in the total mix

90,000/4806 = 18.73 mg of Rumensin in each pound of feed.

TYPO CORRECTION: Mix has 90 grams in total mix or 90,000 mgs. Not 95,000

Thanks TexasBred. I do appreciate your help.

I didn't mind the man going over the pounds of feed that I ordered, I just wish that he had stuck to the recipe/ratio we agreed to which was 4.5 lbs of Rumensin per ton.
When I asked him to figure out that mix, I thought for sure that he would have figured out 4.5 lbs per ton with 790+ lbs he had added, but he did not.

mwj,
After sending the truck with a check to pay for the feed, and bring it back, 65 miles one way; I find out the agreed ratio has not been followed.
So I find it best to learn before I feed it. I feel that TexasBred has finished schooling me on Rumensin.
Don't you think this is a good thing to do? The more questions you ask, the more you learn.

Chuckie next time you visit the mill ask them about their batching procedures etc. A 4000 lb. order might be off 50-70 lbs. but not 800. There's some quality control lacking somewhere. Depending on where the made the mistake (which ingredient) your feed might be 12%....it might be 24%.

Chuckie, I always remember an imperial ton to be 2240lb so that means 2 ton is 4480lb so your mix is only
326lb out. That is unless you people have tried to metrify the ton.
A metric tonne is 1000kg which equates to 2200lb.
Ken

wbvs58":2b813fic said:
Chuckie, I always remember an imperial ton to be 2240lb so that means 2 ton is 4480lb so your mix is only
326lb out. That is unless you people have tried to metrify the ton.
A metric tonne is 1000kg which equates to 2200lb.
Ken
I know we're backward but I'm pretty sure they use ounces, pounds and tons in "Tennessee". ;-) But just in case someone from the metric world comes along the bags will say 22.68 kgs. as well.

TexasBred, Ken is nipping at my heels here, :lol2: as I have tried to use the metric system when I ask him questions, so he is pulling my pigtail. :nod:

Ken, TexasBred is so right on the imperial ton. This grain company is in the middle of no where. The feed mixes they have been using are from 20 years ago and had so much cotton seed hulls, it looked like an explosion at a mattress factory. So their advancement with the times, and researching how cattle nutrition has changed, has not been a priority.
He did tell me that he mixed such a high volume of hulls was because the cattle could not overeat. They might be eating all they can hold and never get the amount of grain they need either. Younger calves cannot handle that much fiber in the feed, and it just passes through. TexasBred has been teaching me and I have been doing a lot of reading trying to learn more.
Learning about the nutrition is easier than learning the metric system. :nod:

But having said that, a small grainery in the middle of two very tiny rural towns in Tennessee, would not dare go out on a limb and go to the metric system. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
You were joking I know, but it would be hilarious if they tried it. All of the old farmers would go to the seed stores, and talk about it non-stop. When they bought the feed, they would make them convert it to the old standard. "How much feed did I really get?"
I remember when the Raceway Service stations tried selling gas by the liters. People would go in and ask, "How much gas did I really get?" :lol2:

Chuckie":21mj7851 said:
TexasBred, When sending feed to a lab for analysis, where do I need to go? I have done this before, but it has been so long ago.
Any reputable lab will do it. I prefer Dairy One Lab in NY. http://dairyone.com/ Just get a small representative sample (sandwich bag full) and mail to them. You want them to run the Wet Chemistry Test NOT the NIR test as that is primarily for forage. Cost will be minimal and they are a highly respected lab.

When y'all start doing computations, I'm like Charlie Brown sitting in class with the teacher. All I hear is 'Blah,blah,blah-blah, blah'. My wife's the numbers cruncher, and it drives her crazy.

TB, let me throw this out - fed correctly, rumensin is a good, safe product - but I've seen some real wrecks where the folks at the feedmill were a decimal place off in figuring...that's a 10X overdose, and it will kill 'em.

Lucky_P":1kctywth said:
When y'all start doing computations, I'm like Charlie Brown sitting in class with the teacher. All I hear is 'Blah,blah,blah-blah, blah'. My wife's the numbers cruncher, and it drives her crazy.

TB, let me throw this out - fed correctly, rumensin is a good, safe product - but I've seen some real wrecks where the folks at the feedmill were a decimal place off in figuring...that's a 10X overdose, and it will kill 'em.
Doc a lot of it would depend on "when" the decimal was off by one. 1 to 10 or 10 to 100 not a problem. But if you're wanting 200 and end up with 2000 it would cause problems. It has been tested at very elevated levels without harmful results and is actually approved to be fed to lactating dairy cattle with resulting Monensin concentrations in the milk allowable up to 200 ppb I believe it is. But that is also one reason I would never encourage anyone to try and mix their own mixture as you really need to know what you're doing or you can end up with the "wreck" you mention. Quality control is extremely important is critical in medicated feeds of any kind.

Latest posts