Rubs and Dusters

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
With the talk of lice on the cattle, I have seen lice on different farms this year, with large bald spots on their sides and heads. I read where lice will effect the weight gain on the cattle and realize that once it is detected, it needs to be treated. Which method of rubs and dusters work best for preventive measures? I am reading some are using diesel fuel and an insecticide mixed. Which powders seem to work best?

CORRAL (I think that's the spelling) worked well for us, but now I have a couple of girls that thik it's fun to make it snow and stand there and beat all of the powder out of it. They look like Charolais crosses when they're done.
We use peermetherin in diesel in our wick type mops and that works. Or we don;t have a louse problem. Like the guy that had the elephant repeller, must work cause he's never had an elephant in his yard.

dun

With all the talk of lice, I wasn't taking any chances.

Used CORRALL powder on Saturday and didn't have a problem with it except the wind came up just as we were finishing and I ended up in a thick white cloud of dust for a few choking moments.

After I shook the powder out on the cows I gently rubbed it in to minimize the "snow effect." ( remember to wear gloves ) It was kind of nice seeing a herd of mock Randall Linebackers......

Didn't even run them up the chute.
I laid down a long line of grain ( a few times ) and called them up and while they ate it I went along each one and lined them with the powder and rubbed it in.
Also checked their body for lice and their ears for lice eggs.
Sure saved alot of chute time & stress as these cows are so calf heavy it would of been a too tight squeeze for most of them in the chute.

We are looking into using a dust bag that will hang at the entrance to the loafing barn, that they come into, to get salt.
Anyone know who sells one to save me some time on this computer ?
Got 9 inches of snow to contend with and more coming down.

CowCop":1y8ej68r said:
Anyone know who sells one to save me some time on this computer ?

Nasco has or had them, your local feed store, probably valley vet. The local feed store sells I think it's Sevin dust for the bags to use instead of the VERY expensive Corrall

dun

Ivomec will get rid of them better. I use oilers or rubs to help with the reoccurence.

Scotty

Howdy,

I use hanging rubs here, as well as a Dusticator mineral feeder that has the pockets for the CO-Ral. (face application type)

The hanging rubs are stategically located around all the waterers. The diesel fuel and product get poured onto the rubs, and energized (poured on again) routinly throughout the season.
(product= I vary the product throughout the year for better pesticide response.) sometimes its a CO-Ral solution, Ultra-Boss, Premitheerin, De-Lice, or one of the many others out there.

In the "Beef" magazine, they are advertising a pour on insecticide called, "Clean-up Pour-on." It advertises that cattle can be protected with a single application. It reads to have an Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) and it controls both chewing and sucking lice on lactating dairy cattle and beef cattle and calves with a single application. It says it gets rid of lice for good. I cannot find any information on the site that they give on page 29 in the Cow and Calf issue. Has anyone run across this product or have you tried it?

Latest posts