Rubber teat swallowed

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Am bottle feeding 6 (month olds) calves.Last night a teat slipped off bottle and was swallowed by calf.Stuck my hand down its throat to grab teat but was too late.Have checked pen today to see if it was perhaps discarded but no such luck.
Calf seems fine today,drank bottle and is eating.Should i be worrying?

Well i suppose if you look at all the drama(bloat,scours,milk fever,stillborns, malrepresentations etc)on your side then i suppose a "swallowed teat" will seem insignificant to you-but thanks for the response :)

It will probably float around in there for a long time. Being soft and flexible won't cause damage.
Best thing, don't worry about it.

I have never had that happen. I have had them pull the nipple right off the bottle and continue to suck on it like a pacifier, but not swallow. That was scary enough.. Now I toss any nipples that get too loose when you snap them on.

Good luck Alison.

I have had them pull the nipple right off the bottle and continue to suck on it like a pacifier, but not swallow. That was scary enough.. Now I toss any nipples that get too loose when you snap them on.

This is normal? I don't think it's even possible with any of the pull-through teats I've used.

I did have a cow swallow the nozzle of a drench gun once - did the same thing, I tried to grab it but too late. Called the vet to see if I should worry and he said no - no sharp edges, stainless steel. If she's still alive she's probably still got it (must have been 2001?).

I would think that there is a slim chance there that it could cause a blockage in the gut or what not. Although, I would think it is slim just keep an eye on the calf and keep it checked.

Latest posts