one teat not giving milk

Help Support CattleToday:

bhvnesh011995

Reaction score
hi,
today my cow gave birth a calf. Before giving the birth there was unusual in one teat. there is something like a tumor just above the nipple. it's nipple was giving, when we press it, sticky yellowish half liquid and other three nipple giving milky liquid. And now that nipple has become smaller than others and not giving milk. guys can anyone help me with this. how to heal its nipple or teat?

Infuse it with a tube of mastitis medicine and wait...check it in three or four days and see if it has white milk. If so she's fine...if she appears to be improved but still not white clean milk retreat...check again. If she still has mastitis get rid of her or kill off the quarter.

If the "milk" was yellowish right from the start then there is a good chance it is just a bad teat. It happens. Yes, the first thing is to try to milk all you can out of it. Use the tube of mastitis medicine up in that "bad" quarter. Something like "Today" or "Pirsue", or a penicillin based one. Must be for LACTATING cows, not for dry off treatment. Milk it out within 24 hours and re-infuse it with another tube. Most dairies milk it out after 12 hours ( 2 time a day milkings) but 24 would be okay. If the teat is already shrinking up it is very likely that she will be blind in that quarter.
You did not say if she is a beef cow or a dairy cow that you are milking for yourself?

I have had many 3 quarter dairy cows and a few beef cows over the years. Normally, if it is shrinking up and nothing coming out, on a beef cow the calf will just try it and get nothing and suck the other teats. On a dairy cow, you just don't milk it.
If it has chunky or thick goopey milk, the best thing to do is to not milk it and if it doesn't dry up on it's own, then you can kill the quarter. The other quarters will be fine. There are worse things than a 3 quarter cow.

We just had the same issue. New calf was sucking on a false teeth at the back of the bag for 2 days. Cows teets blew up too big for the calf at that point. Milked each teet to check for Infection. Only one was infected. We milked down the other 3 and fed to calf. Milked down the infected teet x 3 days. Gave a dose of penicillin day one a d day 3. All is well and after a week total released cow and calf back out and to pasture. Everyone doing well.

Most dairyman will have the vet remove any extra teats when they dehorn or do a bangs vaccination, or some other trip out. Most beef farmers don't even see if there are extra teats. And we have a cow that has one very large teat and it takes the calf awhile to be able to get it in it's mouth. If I have her where I can get her in I will strip that large teat out and make it more of a size the calf can handle. Have used some mastitis treatment in it but by a week or so the calf can figure it out.

Latest posts