Roundup Ready Alfalfa

Help Support CattleToday:

I'll be planting some if it ever gets on the market again. I have a field of RR alfalfa that was planted prior to it being banned. It is still my top producing alfalfa even after 5 years.

bear":2t416hko said:
The Supreme Court lifted the nationwide ban in June, 2010.

There was to be an Environmental Impact Study done on genetically altered seeds. I believe this report was made public in December 2010.

http://www.roundupreadyalfalfa.com
yes they have but I have heard it is going to be mid 2011 at the earliest before it is available for sale

I still heard there is a good chance it will be on the market this spring. I also heard there could be some good deals as the seed companies have been stockpiling seed all these years waiting for the court ruling. When I was going to buy some it was around $300 per bag.

hayray":3e6ht2ws said:
I still heard there is a good chance it will be on the market this spring. I also heard there could be some good deals as the seed companies have been stockpiling seed all these years waiting for the court ruling. When I was going to buy some it was around $300 per bag.
that sounds about right on the price I was think $5 and some change pr lb

I have to wonder how good the germination is on seed that has been sitting in warehouses for what 6 years?

Even if it had been sitting in a warehouse for 6 years (and I don't think it has) you can be sure that it will have been thoroughly tested to make sure it is good. This isn't a fly-by-night operation trying to make a quick buck, this is a company releasing what they think is going to be their gravy train for the forseeable future. The can't afford to screw it up.

The oldest seed would be 4 yrs.I'm sure that will be retested and used up first.Tech fee is $125-150 a bag.Higher in some western states.Monsanto requires a Tecnolgy agreement signed woith your technology number and GPS cordinates of the field.About $335 a bag here in SWMn.

Glyphosate causes a number of changes:

It binds up/chelates a number of minerals
It reduces the mineral content of the crop
It stays in the soil for decades
It promotes some soil pathogens
It damages roots
It sends more money to the chemical companies

Why do we need this??? :???:

Stocker Steve":2v0nwoq8 said:
Because I can establish a better stand of alfalfa. I don't understand why alfalfa is any different from corn, soybeans and cotton. Maybe you don't agree with the use of glyphosate on any of those crops and that's fine. I can't say that I believe most of those things you listed, but than again maybe there is some truth. All I know is I can produce a better corn crop and alfalfa crop by using glyphosate resistant seed.

novaman":3t2zu2s8 said:
Stocker Steve":3t2zu2s8 said:
Because I can establish a better stand of alfalfa. I don't understand why alfalfa is any different from corn, soybeans and cotton. Maybe you don't agree with the use of glyphosate on any of those crops and that's fine. I can't say that I believe most of those things you listed, but than again maybe there is some truth. All I know is I can produce a better corn crop and alfalfa crop by using glyphosate resistant seed.
I know I'm making more beans, corn an cotton than I ever made before roundup. Now I'll plant some alfalfa on some terraces in cotton fields under pivots. Will give me a hay crop on a wasted, watered area.

novaman":2nvi1cn2 said:
Stocker Steve":2nvi1cn2 said:

Yes -- it is easier, but an easier crop is not the same as better. Better needs to take a broader look at soil health and sustainability.

Stocker Steve":20r5w6us said:
Yes -- it is easier, but an easier crop is not the same as better. Better needs to take a broader look at soil health and sustainability.
I don't believe RR alfalfa makes anything easier. In fact it adds an extra pass across the field with the sprayer. When I said I can establish a better stand I am referring to its productivity. All the RR alfalfa that I currently have is 5 years old, if I remember right. That RR alfalfa will still outproduce new seedings. Now if I can increase production per ace that just makes my operation that much more efficient and lessens my requirements on alfalfa acres. As far as soil health and sustainability, I believe that alfalfa is one of the better crops for it. The claims on glyphosate seem very suspect in my opinion. If glyphosate actually stayed in the soil for decades why would I bother reapplying it?

Stocker Steve":2yreixja said:
Glyphosate causes a number of changes:

It binds up/chelates a number of minerals
It reduces the mineral content of the crop
It stays in the soil for decades
It promotes some soil pathogens
It damages roots
It sends more money to the chemical companies

I would like to hear your reasoning for this list and some scientific proof to back it up. Thanks.

Has anyone read this? Thoughts?

One of the nation's senior soil scientists alerted the federal government to a newly discovered organism that may have the potential to cause infertility and spontaneous abortion in farm animals, raising significant concerns about human health. Dr. Don Huber, professor emeritus at Purdue University, believes the appearance and prevalence of the unnamed organism may be related to the nation's over reliance on the weed killer known as Roundup and/or to something about the genetically engineered Roundup-Ready crops. In a letter to Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack, the professor called on the federal government to immediately stop deregulation of roundup ready crops, particularly roundup ready alfalfa.

Text of letter here:

http://farmandranchfreedom.org/gmo-miscarriages

Latest posts