round pen size?

Help Support CattleToday:

Most common sizes are 40, 50 or 60 foot round pens. I like the 50 or 60 foot sizes, I think 40 is a little too small.

JMO,
Alan

I'd agree with Alan.

You don't want the pen so small that the horse can't trot and canter without putting un-necessary pressure on it's legs by continually turning.

You also don't want a pen so big that you lose some of the feel of being close to the horse.

Mine is 50'

I'm no expert, just a carpenter. But I do build round pens now and then, most people ask for 50 and 60. I chose 50 for myself cause thought 60 was just alittle too big.jp

I like them no larger than 50, but find you can do pretty much all you need with 40. I also like a corner in mine. All I use the round pen for is very basic stuff, getting on, stopping and turning. The corner helps with turns and stops. I am finding that I am getting better results working up close to the horse on a lead rope, teaching to disengage the hind quarters, and respect your space than when I used to run them in circles till they submit. No just add water recipes on any of them.

rc":2160a821 said:
I like them no larger than 50, but find you can do pretty much all you need with 40. I also like a corner in mine. All I use the round pen for is very basic stuff, getting on, stopping and turning. The corner helps with turns and stops. I am finding that I am getting better results working up close to the horse on a lead rope, teaching to disengage the hind quarters, and respect your space than when I used to run them in circles till they submit. No just add water recipes on any of them.

I see a bit of a surprising trend here, I also chose a 50 over a 60 because I felt the 60 was too big and 40 too small. A 50 allows me to get easier and quicker contact with the horse when needed to pressure or get ahead of the horse.

Putting a corner in the round pen has never been effective for me as a training aid. It just frustrates the horse and me, JMO. I do all the "giving" training on lead at first, giving at the hip, flex the neck, giving at the shoulder. My thought is, I think most trainers would disagree with putting a corner in a round pen.

JMO,
Alan

To each his own. It's not a round pen with a corner in it I guess. I just do what is working for me. The quicker I'm out of the pen the better. I've started horses in a round pen for years but learn something new everyday and am always willing to try and seeking different methods. Sure round pens work....just trying to share.

From what i hear its your preferance...I read once that the size of the round pen depends on the breed of horse or size of horse...i guess this holds true even for me i typically use a 50 footer but have been know to take up to 3 panels out when working with yearlings or smaller fillys...i guess if you have a portable that makes it easier to adjust i also have a wooden round pen the is 6 ft high and built 55 feet across i use that for most ground work involved with the 2 year olds and bigger i also happen to ride big quarter horses ranging from 15-16 hands when fully grown...what i guess id suggest is buying a portable or adjustable style pen in a bigger size that way you can make it smaller as you need it...and you can always use extra panels somewhere...

Mine is about 35 feet. I like to be up close and personal. This is just for working with a couple yearlings. It works for me. Now if I were going to be getting on one I would like to have a little larger pen.

The horse breed (or size) does have a lot to do with it. I ride warmbloods and larger TBs. I like a round pen that is 65 to 70 feet. My May yearling filly stands 15.1, and her full brother born last night stands 46 inches at birth. He wieghed 142 pounds at birth.

For many Hunter/Jumper and Dressage riders the "standard" size has always been 20 meters, or about 66 feet, (same as the width of a Dressage arena.)

flaboy-":20jqgoda said:
Mine is about 35 feet. I like to be up close and personal. This is just for working with a couple yearlings. It works for me. Now if I were going to be getting on one I would like to have a little larger pen.
I think your right on the money with that smaller pen for youngercolts..I agree. I spread it out when i do my dresSAGE work tho...lol just teasin :D

Latest posts