round pen. a must?

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
i have a trained horse but i want to establish the roles. i have been using a lunge line. is a round pen worth the investment for a 10 yr old which is new to me. horse knows commands and i have ridden a dozen times. she can use some refresher and so could i.

There are some things that round pens are handy for, but you sure don't need one. I sure wouldn't invest in one myself.

Some of the "free lunging" exercises I've heard people want to do, can be done in any pen, or, not at all.

What do you think you need to improve upon, and maybe some of the many folks on here can offer ways to do it without a pen or a different activity.

for now-
when i dismount the horse tends to want to walk. if i act like i am going to dismount is starts walking. its usually i dismount and she is a bit surprised. maybe just time. i am worried she will try to run off.

she does not stop immediately on whoa. i have to correct a few times. when i tell her to stop he does most of the time but i would like to make this perfect. she does not run but its not perfect.

i have a heck of time getting the bit in so i am using a hackamore.

i have to give her alot of kicks to get her going once and a while.

maybe its just cause she is new but i dont want to create bad habbits

IMO the round pen is the best area to build and or correct a gamut of behaviors in a safe environment. Attention , attitude , stops , gaits , consistency , trust , desensitizing to any new gear, obstacles , conditioning.

Yes you can get along with out one but they are invaluable as a training tool. If you build well on the ground the ride in the saddle is going to be a lot more pleasurable and predictable.Even a smaller square pen will work. i found the only time I really want a lead line on is to teach stops, and teach them how stand in a tangle and I feel a lot more confident if i can see the horse performing without any leads and responding to voice commands or physical cues successfully without a rope on the nose.

You will see all of the behaviors that irritate you in saddle while on the ground , and can correct many of them in the pen ie , laziness , failure to maintain gait , lazy stops , failure to give to pressure , rigid movement or lack of softness , backing , getting them used to spooky items , all of the basics. keep in mind its a process that takes time. I had an absolutely explosive arab 6 y/o and it took me about six months to get him settled , trained , and experienced enuf to make him a safe and predictable horse. He is now an awesome horse , really responsive and under control but it took a lot of time.

We used our pen to train three horses that just frigging would not load in smaller two horse trailers this summer. Backed that trailer up and put the feed in the front and within about 24 hours each of them were up in that trailer trying to get at that hay and grain. spent probably another week with each of them and now even the psycho loader hops right in so to make a long story short you ought to have either a round or small square pen that you can work in .

When youre ready to start trailing go out with a buddy with a quiet horse for a half dozen rides and remember your just building constantly.

i think the round pen sounds like a good idea. its better than paying doctor bills. i dont want a horse unless its well trained. i dont need any more lawn oranments. i want the horse to be as good as i can make it since when i want to ride and dont want to get hurt or frustrated. thanks for the advice.

jvicars":1i9ao8g0 said:
for now-
when i dismount the horse tends to want to walk. if i act like i am going to dismount is starts walking. its usually i dismount and she is a bit surprised. maybe just time. i am worried she will try to run off.

she does not stop immediately on whoa. i have to correct a few times. when i tell her to stop he does most of the time but i would like to make this perfect. she does not run but its not perfect.

A round pen is nice but not necessary in my book. Way back when, I never used a round pen and I broke and trained a lot of youngsters. It sure helps today though as I am not as limber as I used to be.

To your issues I would respond;
The walking at dismount is an easy fix but depending on the horse might take 5 minutes or 50 minutes, no more. Stop her, start to get off, if she moves jerk the left rein lightly but enough to get her attention and stop her. Continue until she stands for you to get off. Get on and off several more times until she "gets it". (no round pen needed)

Stopping is a learned (taught) skill. This too can usually be corrected from the saddle in 5-50 minutes. Sit down in the saddle, push both feet forward hard, say "whoa", and lastly pull her nose back till she stops. Repeat until she "gets it". My favorite way is use only one rein. If walking do all the above except pull on only the left rein. She may continue to walk in circles but just keep her nose turned back and in to your toe until she completely stops moving. Repeat until she "gets it". (no round pen needed)

The bit may take several days or working a few minutes a day. Get her to give her head to you (lower it). Reach over between her ears and grab the top of the bridle and EASE the bit up to her mouth. If she raises her head, stop, drop the bridle down, make her give you her head again and repeat till you get the bit to her mouth without her raising her head much if any. Grab the top of bridle and lift till the bit is just at the lips, stick your thumb in the side of her mouth behind the front teeth, as she opens, gently slide the bit in. If you meet with resistance back up as many steps as necessary as start again. (no round pen needed)

Not going can be a problem with some. SPURS! Be careful and apply lightly and then harder as required. I have also used a short rope to pop them on the butt. Use only as much pressure as required to make her move. Give her full reins, kiss at her, move your weight a little forward out of the seat, apply pressure only after these steps. (no round pen needed)

I would work no more than 1 hour on any one thing a day. When does good at it reward her with a short walk or some other movement.

Remember these words. ASK, TELL, MAKE.

ASK her to go by moving you weight out of the seat and forward and release the reins and kiss.

TELL, do the ASK and then use leg pressure (heals) to urge her on still kissing.

MAKE, spur her or get on her butt with a rope and MAKE her go forward still kissing.

flaboy":p87lva7g said:
jvicars":p87lva7g said:
for now-

A round pen is nice but not necessary in my book. Way back when, I never used a round pen and I broke and trained a lot of youngsters. It sure helps today though as I am not as limber as I used to be.

To your issues I would respond;
The walking at dismount is an easy fix but depending on the horse might take 5 minutes or 50 minutes, no more. Stop her, start to get off, if she moves jerk the left rein lightly but enough to get her attention and stop her. Continue until she stands for you to get off. Get on and off several more times until she "gets it". (no round pen needed)

Stopping is a learned (taught) skill. This too can usually be corrected from the saddle in 5-50 minutes. Sit down in the saddle, push both feet forward hard, say "whoa", and lastly pull her nose back till she stops. Repeat until she "gets it". My favorite way is use only one rein. If walking do all the above except pull on only the left rein. She may continue to walk in circles but just keep her nose turned back and in to your toe until she completely stops moving. Repeat until she "gets it". (no round pen needed)

The bit may take several days or working a few minutes a day. Get her to give her head to you (lower it). Reach over between her ears and grab the top of the bridle and EASE the bit up to her mouth. If she raises her head, stop, drop the bridle down, make her give you her head again and repeat till you get the bit to her mouth without her raising her head much if any. Grab the top of bridle and lift till the bit is just at the lips, stick your thumb in the side of her mouth behind the front teeth, as she opens, gently slide the bit in. If you meet with resistance back up as many steps as necessary as start again. (no round pen needed)

Not going can be a problem with some. SPURS! Be careful and apply lightly and then harder as required. I have also used a short rope to pop them on the butt. Use only as much pressure as required to make her move. Give her full reins, kiss at her, move your weight a little forward out of the seat, apply pressure only after these steps. (no round pen needed)

I would work no more than 1 hour on any one thing a day. When does good at it reward her with a short walk or some other movement.

ASK her to go by moving you weight out of the seat and forward and release the reins and kiss.

TELL, do the ASK and then use leg pressure (heals) to urge her on still kissing.

MAKE, spur her or get on her butt with a rope and MAKE her go forward still kissing.

I agree with everything he said, when I was reading your original post, about havin to kick her sometimes to get her to go, my first thought was, what's your body language tellin her. Alot of times with new riders on a trained horse, it's not the horse but the rider not givin the correct cues. Just a suggestion, but a few ridin lessons could make things alot easier in the long run. Just so you know I'm only sayin this to encourage you. There's nothin wrong with ridin lessons, nothin wrong with wantin to do somethin the right way. Good Luck :D

If the horse already lunges then the round pen won't be necessary. And free lunging in a round pen does little on a trained horse already because unless you have a line and lunge whip then you are not really transferring the ground training to the saddle, you will only be using the pen barrier to keep the horse near you not the aids the rider needs to control the horse. I have trained all my adult life and have never had one, not to say that if I had one set up already there are many occassions that it would have been real handy.

faboy? said

This says it all. Thanks for wording the advice so well.

Re Round pen: If you are a beginner rider you are safer and better off riding in an arena or round pen for safety's sake.

If your horse should get going too fast or not cooperate, you will find that the fence is your friend. If you build a round pen, be sure that it is large enough for the horse to lope comfortably. Our pen is a bit on the larger size, about 65 feet in diameter. It is made out of portable panels. It is handy.

We ride on a large tilled pad about 100' by 200' and my husband tilled a large track in the pasture too. It is about 350' long by 150' wide (longer than most rodeo arenas). It's good for long trotting and loping.

i spend the money and got the panels for a 50 ft round pen. i need it more than her.

i did one of the suggestions so far. when she tried to walk off when i dismount i used the left rein pull. took her 3 attempts and now she seems to get it. lucky for me

now that i have a 2.5 yr old gelding gh the round pen is great with the kids. they are learning so its good. they are learning to whoa, walk, turns etc.

i like the round pen and it does give me comfort with the kids and working on training issues with the horse.

its cheaper than a hospital bill.

Latest posts