Rough looking cow

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen":263k8k54 said:
The calf is 1.5 months old. I have milk replacer so I'm going to try that. I'm about to borrow a creep feeder as well.

Initially that calf probably won't want that bottle. The milk will taste different, the nipple will be different and certainly having you handle it will be different.

Don't give up! It can be done. I have done it on several occasions. Let that baby get good and hungry, then back it into a corner with your butt and the calf's butt into that corner, have the calf's neck and head between your knees then tilt the head up, shove the bottle in, squeeze it a bit to get some milk out, do this a few times and eventually that calf will take to the bottle.

Katherine

The last calf I bottle-fed was 11 weeks when he started. It took him three feeds to get it sorted; not too much effort and well worth it in having a well-grown calf at normal weaning time. We had "free" milk though.

Calf is nursing from two different cows so for now I'm not fooling with milk replacer. I've started the calf on a light grain ration as well.

It is great that you now know the reason, and that there is nothing that can affect your other cattle.
Also nice to know that you could not have done anything different for her.
I am sorry for your loss. :(

Thank you, I was relieved to find out what was going on. I feel like i can sleep easier now.

branguscowgirl":b4w3eh6i said:
It is great that you now know the reason, and that there is nothing that can affect your other cattle.Also nice to know that you could not have done anything different for her.I am sorry for your loss. :(

I was thinking the same thing.

Good to hear the calf is doing okay.

Thanks for the update.

Katherine

I have had a few (about 7 over the years) calves that have been mis-motherd (for example by being trucked while still wet when we had to move agistment during a drought). The other cows sort of feed them a bit, and they sneak a drink here and there so they seem to get by for a while. In the end they need to be fed one way or another or they end up skinny runts.

If it is worth the time and $ keep feeding it grain every day and a fair bit of it because I think in the end it might not get enough milk from the other cows to keep it saleable with the other calves. If it is a hassle to feed it in the paddock with the cows you might be better off putting it in a yard where it is easy for you to grain and/or bottle feed it.

Latest posts