Rough looking cow

Help Support CattleToday:

I have no ideas on this cow but the main thing I see is that you have already put way too much trouble and expense into her.

If she was mine, I would keep her just long enough to observe proper withdrawl periods for the tranquilizers and antibiotics she has had and send her on down the road.

OTOH, a bullet might be cheaper and less trouble in the long run. Unfortunately, there are some things you just can't fix. :(

^how in the world can you come to that conclusion based on the information given? That's a $2000 cow by herself when healthy-- She'd bring half that if canned at the sale barn in her current condition. Seems well worth it me to put a couple hundred bucks in a cow to get her back in line.

a bullet? c'mon maaaaaaaan

The vet charged me $120--I'd say I'm doing ok as far as expenses go. Luckily I've got enough sense not to follow all advice given. The cow is beginning to perk up and her appetite has obviously picked up as she is grazing like normal again. She is making milk and the calf looks great.
John SD":2t1qyz3d said:
I have no ideas on this cow but the main thing I see is that you have already put way too much trouble and expense into her.

If she was mine, I would keep her just long enough to observe proper withdrawl periods for the tranquilizers and antibiotics she has had and send her on down the road.

OTOH, a bullet might be cheaper and less trouble in the long run. Unfortunately, there are some things you just can't fix. :(

Good to hear Jallen! :clap: I think that she could simply just have a low grade infection, (hence the increased temp.) maybe you have it licked! Keep us posted!

She continues to go in the right direction. I have not been able to speak with the vet about johnnes yet. Her energy level is better and she is coming to grain like she means it again. Her grazing has picked up a good bit as well. I'm hopeful she is coming around. She still doesn't come up either the rest of the cows when I pen em up. I don't do it normally but I've been doing it the last few days sobi can isolate her from the herd and give her some grain. Her along with a couple others with young calves are staying on the other end of the property still. I will remain cautiously optimistic.

She seems to be going down hill again. Stool is darker than normal but semi firm. Weak acting and had trouble getting up earlier. Now she is just standing. When she walks her back feet drag. She was kind laying up hill do I'm not sure if she just laid down and got herself in a bad spot or not. Checked her earlier today and all seemed ok but she didn't come to grain when I tried to round them up. I took her grain and she ate like normal. Damn this cow

Will do but odds are I'll put her down tomorrow morning. She is in rough shape. Earlier today she seemed ok and was nursing and this afternoon there is little to no control of the back legs. I'm wondering if she is malnourished to the extent that it is causing it. I have no clue what is going on honestly but I can't watch an animal suffer like she has this afternoon. To too it off she has had 3 inches of rain dumped on her since I last checked her, which has been 4 times in the last 5 hrs. I feel horrible and hate to lose a cow but don't know what else to do. Will a 9mm do the trick?

Oh man, that is too bad. You may want the vet to do a postmortem....IDK about the 9mm. I have never put one down. I am the kind of softy that has the vet do it. The guys know though. PM Dun or Greybeard maybe. Actually Nesikep is up late, he would know too. And responds very promptly.
So sorry.

Prperly placed a 22 long rifle will do the job, pooler placed a 7mm mag isn;t enough. I've used 22 lr, 22 mag, 32 h&R mag, 38 special and 9mms, The all work when done properly. Mentally draw a line from one eye to the opposite ear and then do the same from the other eye. Where the 2 line instersect is the correct spot. If you happen to use a scoped rifle bear in mind that the barrel and the scope are notexactly lined up, the sope will be aimed higher then the barrel so the shot will be too low. Open sights work best for this.

Hehe, I said the same thing. It sounds like this cow isn't hard to approach, so with a .22 I just lay it on the spot point blank... Did a deer I hit on the road that way too and it wasn't louder than popping a paper bag.

I think the most common mistake is hitting too low, which means you don't affect the brain, but just the sinuses, and that's not effective

Just put her down. It was tough to do it but I think it was the right thing for her. Had she been in the shade I may given her more time. I've taken a stool sample--what else should I do? No clue if the vet can get out here tonirrow and I want to know what went wrong for her. I have a pic of the stool if someone is willing to post it I'll email it over. Ii is loose and black as can be. I really want to get to the bottom of this's.

Open her up and get a liver same and some blood via syringe then to a red top vacuum tube. Probably too late now but how do/did her gums look? Sounds like she was bleeding into her gut though if the stool was real dark.

Hook might be onto something, an internal bleeding would cause dark stool, though it seems as she had at least a modest appetite and wasn't completely off feed, she certainly wasn't absorbing much.

Yes, dark stool could be a bleed or if she was given something with Iron in it also. But also if she has not been getting around and consuming her usual grass.

I was hoping she'd come back around. Sorry for the loss and hope you find out what was wrong with her.

She had an appetite yesterday when I brought her grain. She however would not walk to the pen where I fed them occasionally. Come to think of it she has stayed on the lower grounds of my place the last few days. I can't remember her being on the top terrace any lately. I knew the activity level was still a bit off but she was eating and nursing fine as far as I could tell. I will check the guns in just a second although it's been about 2 hrs or so. I'm going to get a vet out here one way or the other tomorrow. I wish I could have out it off til tomorrow but she was down in direct sun light and it's hot here.

My next issue is what to do with the calf? I really don't know where to go there.

You could try to start bottle feeding the calf. Even at that age, it can be done. Or you can hope that the calf will steal enough from other lactating cows. Or you can sell the calf at the sale barn or sell to someone who wants a bottle calf or who has a nurse cow.

I'k be real interested in finding out what was wrong with the cow.

Katherine

Yes, please let us know. I doubt that you can tell anything by her gums now.
You did the right thing for her not letting her suffer in the sun.
Better get some calf feed to start the calf on. How old is it now?

The calf is 1.5 months old. I have milk replacer so I'm going to try that. I'm about to borrow a creep feeder as well.